Good grief, what is the SEC supposed to be worried about?

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
If I'm Sankey, I stand pat and make a point of it. SEC is about one thing: winning titles.

Goodness gracious, SEC has won 13 of the last 17 titles. ACC has won 3. Big 10 has won 1.

1 title in 17 years vs 13. The league with the most revenue has the fewest titles.

So what exactly is the SEC supposed to be worried about?

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
And, to add, SEC has had 4 different programs win multiple titles in that 17 year stretch.

If I'm the SEC, I'd just sit there like:

Last edited:

Big JC

May 12, 2023
I agree. The B1G seems to be going out and grabbing up programs that haven't won anything in decades and aren't really big draws in terms of tv audience. Clemson looks like it would be good get at first glance but if clemson had been in a real conference the past 10 years they probably wouldn't have the national championships they won since 1981. FSU looks good on paper too but Daddy Bowden even admitted he joined the ACC to avoid the competition in the SEC so how good would FSU be in a conference where they had to play three or four games a year against equal or near equal talent?

I also wonder if the tv networks who have contracts with the B1G will say "hold up a minute there hoss, we made a deal to get "x" teams for "x" dollars, we aren't going to pay more to add a bunch of teams with low viewership numbers".

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I agree. The B1G seems to be going out and grabbing up programs that haven't won anything in decades and aren't really big draws in terms of tv audience. Clemson looks like it would be good get at first glance but if clemson had been in a real conference the past 10 years they probably wouldn't have the national championships they won since 1981. FSU looks good on paper too but Daddy Bowden even admitted he joined the ACC to avoid the competition in the SEC so how good would FSU be in a conference where they had to play three or four games a year against equal or near equal talent?

I also wonder if the tv networks who have contracts with the B1G will say "hold up a minute there hoss, we made a deal to get "x" teams for "x" dollars, we aren't going to pay more to add a bunch of teams with low viewership numbers".

4 different teams from the SEC have won more titles in the last 17 years than the entire Big 10.

Agree about the teams being added to the Big 10. There are really no teams out there that add to the stature of the SEC other than ND, and they really only add stature because of their historical prominence. Yes, if Clemson were in the SEC or Big 10, they likely don't win any titles.

Some people seem to think the SEC needs to expand to keep pace with the Big 10. That only makes us look weak and pathetic, in my opinion. Like the SEC needs to play catchup. If I'm Sankey, I don't flinch. SEC doesn't play catchup to anyone.

If I were Sankey, I'd hold a presser, with all 13 of the SEC's recent championship trophies surrounding him. I'd take out my wallet, pull out a $100 bill and say "Here you go, Petitti. Heard you needed some cash? Oh, what's that, you want some titles? Sorry, can't help you there."

Big JC

May 12, 2023
4 different teams from the SEC have won more titles in the last 17 years than the entire Big 10.

Agree about the teams being added to the Big 10. There are really no teams out there that add to the stature of the SEC other than ND, and they really only add stature because of their historical prominence. Yes, if Clemson were in the SEC or Big 10, they likely don't win any titles.

Some people seem to think the SEC needs to expand to keep pace with the Big 10. That only makes us look weak and pathetic, in my opinion. Like the SEC needs to play catchup. If I'm Sankey, I don't flinch. SEC doesn't play catchup to anyone.

If I were Sankey, I'd hold a presser, with all 13 of the SEC's recent championship trophies surrounding him. I'd take out my wallet, pull out a $100 bill and say "Here you go, Petitti. Heard you needed some cash? Oh, what's that, you want some titles? Sorry, can't help you there."
From what I've read, Sankey and the SEC teams have said they are happy with 16 teams and have no desire to add any more. I hope they stick to that. Actually, I think 16 is too many and I wish they had stayed at 12. In a perfect world, the SEC would have stayed with the original 10 teams and had a 9 conference game schedule, every team would play every other team every year and there would be no need for a conference championship game. In that world, USC would have stayed in the ACC and would probably have a few more conference championships.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
From what I've read, Sankey and the SEC teams have said they are happy with 16 teams and have no desire to add any more. I hope they stick to that. Actually, I think 16 is too many and I wish they had stayed at 12. In a perfect world, the SEC would have stayed with the original 10 teams and had a 9 conference game schedule, every team would play every other team every year and there would be no need for a conference championship game. In that world, USC would have stayed in the ACC and would probably have a few more conference championships.

Sankey has indeed said the SEC is happy at 16 teams. Some time ago he spoke of scheduling issues if you get beyond 16 teams.

I hope he sticks to that and doesn't get caught up in the rush of expansion that the media is pushing. Just shut it down and say it isn't happening. The SEC's future is as secure as it ever can be.

There's no team out there that can be added that makes the SEC more secure.

Latest posts