Haines Definitely burns redshirt

TiogaLion

Oct 31, 2021
What? Far from a no brain decision. Intermat currently has us winning the tournament by 34.5 points while Flo has us winning by 54 points, without bonus points and our 157 not reaching AA. This clearly shows we don't need Haines to win the national championship and the decision is purely about what's best for the wrestlers and the future of the team. By future, Haines to could possibly use a redshirt to grow into a higher weight class.

Reactions: WV lion

WV lion

Oct 17, 2021
What? Far from a no brain decision. Intermat currently has us winning the tournament by 34.5 points while Flo has us winning by 54 points, without bonus points and our 157 not reaching AA. This clearly shows we don't need Haines to win the national championship and the decision is purely about what's best for the wrestlers and the future of the team. By future, Haines to could possibly use a redshirt to grow into a higher weight class.

I believe the team doesn't need him to win Nationals, but looking at the weight class, I don't think there is a clear cut favorite. I could see Haines make a very deep run at the tournament.

TiogaLion

Oct 31, 2021
I believe the team doesn't need him to win Nationals, but looking at the weight class, I don't think there is a clear cut favorite. I could see Haines make a very deep run at the tournament.
Ok, we agree the team doesn't need points at 157. Than the question is what's better for Haines and what's better for the future team lineups? Instead of going deep in the tournament perhaps with a redshirt year he wins the tournament? Maybe next year he grows and wants to move up to 165 or 174 and needs a year to build up muscle and get used to being larger? Maybe Cael sees a potential hole in lineup a few years from now and wants to have Haines available? Many moving parts. I guess we'll find out Friday night.

Reactions: LB4097

dicemen99

Oct 6, 2021
Ok, we agree the team doesn't need points at 157. Than the question is what's better for Haines and what's better for the future team lineups? Instead of going deep in the tournament perhaps with a redshirt year he wins the tournament? Maybe next year he grows and wants to move up to 165 or 174 and needs a year to build up muscle and get used to being larger? Maybe Cael sees a potential hole in lineup a few years from now and wants to have Haines available? Many moving parts. I guess we'll find out Friday night.
Cael is also on record that he doesn't think Levi is going to be a 157 for long. It may make more sense to save the RS for when he moves weight classes both from the team and the individual perspective.

BaccaFarmer

Oct 12, 2021

We have a pretty significant log jam in the middle weights over the next 3-4 years. Levi is clearly our best 157 this year and he may wish get after it now. Not ALL scenarios for the future allow for Levi to start at 165.

Karl_Havok

Oct 6, 2021
Cael is also on record that he doesn't think Levi is going to be a 157 for long. It may make more sense to save the RS for when he moves weight classes both from the team and the individual perspective.

I've thought about this since Cael has mentioned it a few times. The only thing I can think of is everyone moves up a weight from 165lbs-184lbs when Dean clears out. That solves our 197lb problem after this season because we don't have anyone else there at this point. And it makes room for Levi at 165lbs. My biggest question is whether or not Facundo will be big enough for 174lbs.

psykim

Oct 7, 2021
thanks for info-if Haines moves up to 165 (or redshirts next year because of this move) who is our top wrestler at 157 next year. Glad this change is made-it is best to have all the top wrestlers we can-possibly we could win Nationals without haines but what if there is an injury/illness with a top wrestler.