Has Penn State wrestling found its 125-pound fix in freshman Braeden Davis?

Karl_Havok

Oct 6, 2021
I really wanted Robbie to work out. He has certainly had a rough go of it with injuries and not competing for two years really makes a difference.

At the end of the day I just want a legit 125lber in the starting lineup and it looks like we might have that with Braeden. I’m very excited.

Reactions: WV lion

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Sure looks like it..
Yeah, great start for sure. We'll see how he does moving forward but as I noted in another thread, I'm very bullish on his potential this year and of course beyond that.

Psuproud

Nov 1, 2021
It also makes little sense to redshirt him with what they have coming in behind him

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
It also makes little sense to redshirt him with what they have coming in behind him

yeah, a lot of variables here. The biggest one is Rob Howard. Nobody has publicly indicated what's happening with him. If he were healthy (could be; I don't know), and if he were beating Davis in the room (could be; I don't know), it would seem to make the most sense to redshirt Davis this year. CS seemed to indicate that they are planning to use Davis at 125, so I'm guessing that either Howard isn't healthy, or Davis is beating him in the room (but again, I don't know).

To me, the more interesting piece is that most felt that Davis would be 133 in college. But with Nagao with 3 years of eligibility (including this year), Davis could be sitting for some time if that were his weight.

As for the guys coming in behind him, the big two are Luke Lilledahl and Nate Desmond. They look to be the long-term guys for 125.

Factoring all that in, with the caveat that I still don't know the full story with Howard, and nobody knows how body's will grow and whether guys will get injured, it wouldn't surprise me to see Davis go this year and next year at 125, then redshirt a year, and then slide in at 133. That would give Lilledahl a year to redshirt (not that I think he needs it, but most true freshman benefit from a RS), and then Luke could slide in at 125 and Davis could man 133.

Cael Nasdeo is greyshirting this year, and he's quite talented. I think he'll also be pushing for a spot in the coming years. And Gibson is entering next year, so he'll also be pushing for a spot.

I don't know how it will all play out, but PSU appears to be finally flipping the narrative, and will have multiple, excellent options at 125 and 133.

fp

May 6, 2022
From what I understand, it's not particularly close with Davis vs. the PSU field at 125. One of those "obvious is obvious" deals.

Reactions: Tom McAndrew

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
Great post Tom. I don’t know how hard Gibson will be pushing for a spot though. Could be completely wrong though. Will see. Good problem to have here.

WV lion

Oct 17, 2021
yeah, a lot of variables here. The biggest one is Rob Howard. Nobody has publicly indicated what's happening with him. If he were healthy (could be; I don't know), and if he were beating Davis in the room (could be; I don't know), it would seem to make the most sense to redshirt Davis this year. CS seemed to indicate that they are planning to use Davis at 125, so I'm guessing that either Howard isn't healthy, or Davis is beating him in the room (but again, I don't know).

To me, the more interesting piece is that most felt that Davis would be 133 in college. But with Nagao with 3 years of eligibility (including this year), Davis could be sitting for some time if that were his weight.

As for the guys coming in behind him, the big two are Luke Lilledahl and Nate Desmond. They look to be the long-term guys for 125.

Factoring all that in, with the caveat that I still don't know the full story with Howard, and nobody knows how body's will grow and whether guys will get injured, it wouldn't surprise me to see Davis go this year and next year at 125, then redshirt a year, and then slide in at 133. That would give Lilledahl a year to redshirt (not that I think he needs it, but most true freshman benefit from a RS), and then Luke could slide in at 125 and Davis could man 133.

Cael Nasdeo is greyshirting this year, and he's quite talented. I think he'll also be pushing for a spot in the coming years. And Gibson is entering next year, so he'll also be pushing for a spot.

I don't know how it will all play out, but PSU appears to be finally flipping the narrative, and will have multiple, excellent options at 125 and 133.
I like Nasdeo, but not close to same level yet?

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
But which one is beating Nico in the room? Asking for a friend.