Hey folks. Is Cael's career as a coach, surpassing his career as a wrestler?

cb1994

Oct 31, 2022
I honestly don’t know how to compare the two!

As a wrestler, he did something that simply nobody will ever do again. Heck even if Dake hadn’t lost 4 matches, he still would’ve had 20 fewer wins than Cael did.

As a coach, he’s dominating at a clip that only Gable ever has replicated. You can certainly argue that the competition is at an entirely different level now than it was then, and therefore what Cael is doing is more impressive, but the numbers still don’t lean his way.

For now, I think I still lean Wrestler. Give it 5 more years at this rate, and I think his coaching will become the more impressive.

Karl_Havok

Oct 6, 2021
He has been as dominant as a coach as I think you can be over the last decade so it's close if not equal.

Reactions: Mr. Potter

BrucePa

Oct 12, 2021
His credentials as a wrestler are carved in granite, and are overall the most impressive of all wrestlers. Dan Gable is in second place.

His credentials as a coach are still being written.

The combined body of work is unassailable.

headlock

Oct 31, 2021
A very tough comparison. On one hand, Cael as a wrestler had complete control over his skill-building, preparation and on-mat execution. On the coaching side, he can be an excellent recruiter and motivational asset to his team, but each member must be able to perform at their best. Cael lived at the intersection of "doing his best" and "being the best." No one else lives there!

coastfan

Oct 26, 2021
Cael did lose a match or two in high school I believe. Gable lost his last college match but was undefeated in high school. Both won an Olympic gold medal.
Gable Steveson may have been as dominant as any collegiate wrestler and then won his own Olympic gold medal, except...he lost twice as a true freshmen to the "Rudy story" of Penn State's own Anthony Cassar.

Anthony only reached real success in high school his senior year. He sort of repeated that pattern at Penn State.

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
Cael did lose a match or two in high school I believe. Gable lost his last college match but was undefeated in high school. Both won an Olympic gold medal.
As any Hawkeye fan will remind you, Cael lost during his redshirt season to Iowa's Paul Jenn at the UNI Open.

Reactions: coastfan

Gobert21

Oct 22, 2021
I don't see anyone ever eclipsing his wrestling records.

But many thought that Gable records wouldn't be challenged but they are.

So I think his wrestling feats will define his legacy.

RBOld

Nov 11, 2022
I think it's generally hard for GOATs to be able to coach because they have to relate to athletes who are never going to be as good as they are. He was in control when he was on the mat but being able to transfer his greatness to as many wrestlers is a more impressive feat imo.

KSLion

Oct 6, 2021
I think it's generally hard for GOATs to be able to coach because they have to relate to athletes who are never going to be as good as they are. He was in control when he was on the mat but being able to transfer his greatness to as many wrestlers is a more impressive feat imo.
Not sure it's any more difficult for a great athlete to become a successful coach or manager than it is for anyone else. But very different primary skill sets, athletic- versus interpersonal-, are certainly required and to find both sets present in one individual to the extent Cael has demonstrated thus far in his wrestling / coaching career is more than extremely rare. "Approximately never" might be a good way to describe it.

It's certainly possible for a very average athlete to become a great coach or manager in any given individual- or team sport as well if the drive and intelligence, plus interpersonal- and talent evaluation skills, are there. See the career of the winningest major college football coach of all time.

Last edited:

clucas11

Oct 31, 2021
I agree with those above that say his coaching career is actually surpassing his wrestling career. When you are competing, it's just you...you can control how hard you work, your mental approach, etc. As a coach, you have to bring all of that to the team dynamic and work with so many different personalities, styles, etc. Although, I think Cael and company have cornered the market on the type of wrestler they know will succeed in their room. I think taking a team to a championship level the number of times he has done it is a feat that has surpassed his personal wrestling career. Just my humble opinion...

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021
A very tough comparison. On one hand, Cael as a wrestler had complete control over his skill-building, preparation and on-mat execution. On the coaching side, he can be an excellent recruiter and motivational asset to his team, but each member must be able to perform at their best. Cael lived at the intersection of "doing his best" and "being the best." No one else lives there!
I’m sure that Cael is also wrestling with the wrestlers in practice and showing them technique, leverage, reaction, etc.

the level at which Cael wrestling and coaches psu are both 10 out of 10. Guy should write a book on awesome!

Roar More

Oct 30, 2021
With coaching, don't overlook what he s doing on the world stage. In the latest world championships, the Nittany Lion Wrestling Club would have finished third if they competed as a country.

Reactions: TC4PSU and WV lion

Lions1

Nov 1, 2021
For me his Coaching resume/impact has far exceeded his personal individual accomplishments:
Ed Ruth
David Taylor
Zain
Bo
Jason
Q. Wright
Carter
Brooks
RBY
Joseph
Nico
Anthony C.