How does the board posters celebrate Easter? Any traditions, certain foods or customs? ....

MtNittany

Oct 12, 2021
Welll. That is breakfast and lunch. We do have a ham feature but surprisingly we didn’t sell a ton last year. If it was just ham man that would be easy like thanksgiving,
What time do you shut it down? Daily? Tomorrow? Mid-afternoon?

fairgambit

Oct 12, 2021
I'm interested to learn. I imagine fairgambit has some. Curious about everyone though.

Happy Easter.

Shabbat Shalom
Thanks for the mention Mr. Potter. On Good Friday we Byzantine Catholics follow a strict fast. No meat or dairy products. At Church Friday night there are "Entombment Vespers" with a procession around the outside of the Church carrying a Burial Shroud with the crucified image of Christ on it. It Is then placed placed in a Holy Sepulcher inside the Church where it lies until Holy Saturday. Saturday night there are Resurrection Matins, with another procession outside Church that proclaims the Resurrection of Christ. This is followed by the Easter Divine Liturgy (Mass). After that we have a blessing of Paschal Foods that are brought in a wicker Easter Basket that is covered with a linen cloth usually embroidered with a picture of The Risen Christ and contains a lighted candle. The traditional foods are ham, kielbasa, Hrudka (Easter Cheese made of eggs), beets and horseradish, Pisanki (decorated eggs), salt, sweet butter, and Pascha (Easter raisin bread). After the baskets are blessed, the faithful return home and feast upon the foods they contain. Some return Sunday for another Divine Liturgy, although the one on Saturday night is considered sufficient.

Typical Paschal Basket.

1039.jpg

Traditional decorated Easter eggs.

0f.jpg

Blessing of baskets.

Blessing-of-Easter-baskets-300x230.jpg

Last edited:

JohnJumba

Oct 7, 2021
No meat Wednesday and Friday. Fast Saturday night, Easter basket blessing Saturday morning. No meat until after Sunday church. Ham, kolbi, hrudka, boiled eggs, cold dough cakes, blood and sweet sausage, mashed potatoes, poppy seed and nut rolls. Bubalki.

MtNittany

Oct 12, 2021
I haven't done it in a few years, and I can't do it tomorrow. But this is the thing here in Juno Beach. Sunrise service at the pier. The sunrises here are unsurpassed anyway.

OhioLion

Oct 12, 2021
Lutheran Church, Missouri Synod.
Maundy Thursday Seder Supper reenacting Passover. Follow that with a Church service and stripping of the altar.
Good Friday we have a Tenebrae service at 7:30. Pastor has had different themes, but all follow Christ through the trial, crucifixion and final words on the cross. This year was 7 different statements made by Christ while on the cross. Candles and sanctuary lighting dimmed until “it is finished” when all lights but the one shining on the cross in front of the Church are all dark.
Leave the Church without speaking to anyone.
Arrive Sunday morning for Sonrise service and nobody speaks. The Church is the same as when we left on Friday night. Dark.
Easter narrative is given as the lights in the sanctuary are illuminated slowly. Once they reach where Christ had risen, all lights back on full. Pastor leads with “Christ has risen….” with congregation responding “He is risen indeed”.
Now the meal at home is traditional ham, mashed potatoes and gravy, vegetable and sweet potatoes.
This is second Easter without my mom and butterscotch pie. 😕
Apologies for the length.

OL

fairgambit

Oct 12, 2021
Lutheran Church, Missouri Synod.
Maundy Thursday Seder Supper reenacting Passover. Follow that with a Church service and stripping of the altar.
Good Friday we have a Tenebrae service at 7:30. Pastor has had different themes, but all follow Christ through the trial, crucifixion and final words on the cross. This year was 7 different statements made by Christ while on the cross. Candles and sanctuary lighting dimmed until “it is finished” when all lights but the one shining on the cross in front of the Church are all dark.
Leave the Church without speaking to anyone.
Arrive Sunday morning for Sonrise service and nobody speaks. The Church is the same as when we left on Friday night. Dark.
Easter narrative is given as the lights in the sanctuary are illuminated slowly. Once they reach where Christ had risen, all lights back on full. Pastor leads with “Christ has risen….” with congregation responding “He is risen indeed”.
Now the meal at home is traditional ham, mashed potatoes and gravy, vegetable and sweet potatoes.
This is second Easter without my mom and butterscotch pie. 😕
Apologies for the length.

OL
I'm sorry for the loss of your mom. I think of both my deceased parents every day but miss them most at Easter and Christmas when a flood of memories washes over me. The wonderful smells of Easter ham, of Christmas trees....the pictures in my mind of happy family gatherings... but most of all, the comfort of their voices. Gone, but never forgotten.

LionsAndBears

Oct 13, 2021
In addition to church service and the traditional Easter Sunday meal, my side of the family has a children's egg hunt with candy in each egg. This is the warmup act which is followed by an adults only egg hunt. My mother hides 100 eggs throughout her property and each egg has crisp new bills in them. It can get a little intense as we battle to see who can get the most eggs.

BCrum

Aug 19, 2022
In addition to church service and the traditional Easter Sunday meal, my side of the family has a children's egg hunt with candy in each egg. This is the warmup act which is followed by an adults only egg hunt. My mother hides 100 eggs throughout her property and each egg has crisp new bills in them. It can get a little intense as we battle to see who can get the most eggs.
Cut throat with the eggs. My wife spends hours writing clues & riddles where she hides eggs for the kids & grands. The older - the tougher. Most eggs contain $$. We always do this Palm Sunday.
Our community churches rotate Good Friday Men's Breakfast. Multi-generational. I had sons & grandsons but there was 1 guy with great grandsons! This year's speaker was Pittsburgh Steeler chaplain Kent Chevalier.
Leo Wisniewski & Ron Coder are a couple Penn Staters who have spoken in the past.

Last edited:

retsio

Oct 13, 2021
From my Screenplay (under review by several feature film companies - adapted, my true story).
Telling how our family can celebrate our Faith that has been blessed so much in Life, Family and the ever present wonder of a Creator. Please allow me to say - 'every sunrise and every sunset ... is a blessing' -- Take Care !

''Good morning, everyone.
I would like to begin today’s session with two stories from our Developer. His experiences tell of a Tragedy, his Heartbreak followed by his Recovery, and the driving force of this Program.
Please allow me to read the following for you……..

It is Thanksgiving Day 1980, late afternoon as I stand at the foot of the hospital bed of my Father. I am watching my Father slowly die from a failed open heart surgery. As I am asked, I make the decision to turn off the machines and watch as Doctors and nurses in white coats and hospital gowns tend to my Father.
and -
He was the first grandson. Visiting the Carolinas with his sister, Mother and Grand-Mother for the warmth of Spring sunshine. This was supposed to be a school vacation, but overnight he died in his sleep from an undiagnosed and untreated heart disease. It was Easter week …. Kevin was 8 years old.

– trembling ----- No matter how many times we present this Program, it is hard to know that we do not have an explanation, or an answer as to – WHY. How could this happen to one person - to one family? How could they lose so much and still live a future life of fulfillment?''

Lionville

Oct 19, 2021
Thanks for the mention Mr. Potter. On Good Friday we Byzantine Catholics follow a strict fast. No meat or dairy products. At Church Friday night there are "Entombment Vespers" with a procession around the outside of the Church carrying a Burial Shroud with the crucified image of Christ on it. It Is then placed placed in a Holy Sepulcher inside the Church where it lies until Holy Saturday. Saturday night there are Resurrection Matins, with another procession outside Church that proclaims the Resurrection of Christ. This is followed by the Easter Divine Liturgy (Mass). After that we have a blessing of Paschal Foods that are brought in a wicker Easter Basket that is covered with a linen cloth usually embroidered with a picture of The Risen Christ and contains a lighted candle. The traditional foods are ham, kielbasa, Hrudka (Easter Cheese made of eggs), beets and horseradish, Pisanki (decorated eggs), salt, sweet butter, and Pascha (Easter raisin bread). After the baskets are blessed, the faithful return home and feast upon the foods they contain. Some return Sunday for another Divine Liturgy, although the one on Saturday night is considered sufficient.

Typical Paschal Basket.

View attachment 548827

Traditional decorated Easter eggs.

View attachment 548828

Blessing of baskets.

View attachment 548832
Memories of many Easters past. Thanks for sharing.