How important is the upcoming PSU vs. Maryland game for Franklin's post-2021 employment at PSU?

BW Lion

Oct 14, 2021
I say very important....actually critical.

A PSU win, on the road against a newly formidable opponent, is expected by 10 points or so.

A PSU loss would not only represent 4 straight L's, it would seem to be professionally devastating for James.

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021

A PSU win, on the road against a newly formidable opponent, is expected by 10 points or so.

A PSU loss would not only represent 4 straight L's, it would seem to be professionally devastating for James.
Yea I think you're right. The Illinois game was his "used up all the good will game" for this season. Plus it would then mean that a coach that has about a 13-46 record has beaten Franklin twice in a row, not good.
I don't think it will happen. Despite whats said in public I do not think Franklin and Locksley like each other. Franklin and the team are still pissed about last year. Unlike Illinois I don't think PSU is taking this game for granted.
MD isn't going to be an easy out but I think they fade in the 4th and we win 34-21

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021

If he loses, I don't think it changes much about his employment at PSU or anywhere else for that matter if he decides to leave. I think he gets to fulfill his contract at Penn State either way if he wants (beyond that, who knows...?), and I think he'd still be highly desired by USC and LSU and a number of other schools. His body of work is more important than any one season. That said, the longer the trend continues, the more likely it is he's not the coach at PSU for one reason or another IMO.

loinfan01

Oct 25, 2021

A loss would be professionally devastating. I think the team comes out and plays like they did against THE Ohio State University, this time winning against a less talented opponent. If Franklin gets fired (HA!) I'm sure his severance will keep the lights on for a while.

blion72

Oct 30, 2021

I am not sure how it may impact him professionally, but I would be more worried about how it would impact the team. Losing is such a hard thing to break in terms of the mental side. Of course all of this is caused by monumental injuries, similar to last season.

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
The results of the Maryland game will have no effect on his employment whatsoever. Lots of foolish postulation going on here.
Clemson is 5-3, LSU is 4-4, Florida is 4-4, Iowa State is 5-3...fire them all!!! 🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: Nitt1300

MacNit

Oct 12, 2021

Gotta’ agree. Things would quickly shift from a quasi-explanable situation to ship taking on water.

Last edited:

MacNit

Oct 12, 2021
^^ This ^^
Reality check: Coaches that don’t perform to expectations get fired. Some have more leeway others (many at Penn State - think Pat Chambers - probably have more leeway because less seems to be demanded of top PSU Administration officials than usual).

Right or wrong, it is the way of the world. Get paid millions, better learn to live with the expectation of results. Beating Illinois and Maryland and Rutgers are not unreasonable expectations for the Penn State football coach. Time will tell…

BW Lion

Oct 14, 2021
Clemson is 5-3, LSU is 4-4, Florida is 4-4, Iowa State is 5-3...fire them all!!! 🤣🤣🤣
LSU actually did fire 🔥 their coach.

There are many teams with equivalent or better records that have already fired their underperforming coaches

PSU is only 2-3 in conference play….Washington State (Fumi’s Alma Mater) is 4-2 and is in apparent need of a coach for 2022.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2021
Win or lose PSU admin is not firing him so from that perspective no effect. Lose though, I think that further dampens the interest of schools like USC or LSU. Those schools are looking to bring in proven winners. Last year standing alone can be written off to Covid. Losses to MD and IL, games PSU is expected to win, plus last year, I can't see how that doesn't send up red flags to the likes of LSU and USC. If he wants out I think he needs to win.

Reactions: Player2BNamedL8r

PrtLng Lion

Oct 14, 2021
Losses happen, all coaches deal with it (some less than others- see Saban). Losing streaks like last year and this year, to me, signal there might be something wrong. Sure some could write off last year as COVID, this year as Clifford's injury, but in either case one could counter the team wasn't sufficiently prepared since not all of them were to superior teams. I doubt Sandy and co. will fire Franklin but if the current streak continues....

WSTLion87

Oct 10, 2021
Overall in eight seasons CJF has done a really good job. He won't be fired if he loses this weekend. That said, I doubt he's going to lose. Needless to say regardless of how much administration is committed to him- IMHO if one of those two aforementioned jobs (USC, LSU) is offered then, my gut feeling is that he bolts. Have I been wrong before? Many times. However, I just get a feeling he's looking for a new challenge.

JoeLion

Oct 12, 2021
I say it depends…..if the team appears to be uninspired or unprepared I’m certain there will be questions raised.

dcf4psu

Oct 25, 2021

I've been pointing this out since last week. It is critically important for the program, including the head coach, that they win at Maryland Saturday. We are becoming all too familar with let down games after big game losses. That narrative needs to be broken on Saturday.

Reactions: bbrown

blion72

Oct 30, 2021
If PSU breaks his contract the cost to PUS is $26MM?
If CJF breaks his contract the cost to him is $4MM?

IMO, PSU has settled in for a long experience with CJF.
you identified the problem in the contract. It needs to be more balanced, in fact the two numbers should be about equal.