How many points does the offense have to score this Saturday to satisfy you?

How many points does the offense have to score this Saturday to satisfy you?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 2.9%

Votes: 13 38.2%
  • 50+

Votes: 20 58.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Harvard Gamecock

Jan 20, 2022
It's Charlotte. How are we supposed to be satisfied ?
50+ points ? Ok, well aren't you supposed to put up those kind of numbers.

This game and next weeks game are set up for an easy W, not much more. Just hope there are no significant injuries and call it a success.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
William and Mary scored 41 and had 559 yards of offense. Charlotte is allowing 45 ppg through 4 games this year.

IMO, we need to score 60 to have any sense that our offense is competent. They are 128th in ypg allowed and 124th in ppg allowed. 60 for an SEC team should be no problem. I don't necessarily think it'll mean a whole lot if we score a ton, but it will mean a whole lot if we can't score a ton.

I'm not advocating running up the score, but we have to take this game as an opportunity to run our offense.

60 or more and I'll be satisfied that maybe our offense can turn it around this season.

50-60 and I'll still have serious doubts about our offense.

Fewer than 50 is a disaster.

Reactions: Senior Rooster

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
I don't necessarily think it'll mean a whole lot if we score a ton, but it will mean a whole lot if we can't score a ton.

Yeah, this is why some people think of these as no win situations, at least as far as evaluating units.

I would think we don't want to score less than they are averaging giving up, that would not be a good sign.

Edit: in a game like this, as someone pointed out, don't get injured.

Reactions: 18IsTheMan

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Does it really matter? People are going to complain either way.
Guess it depends on the outcome. I don't think there will be celebration for a dominating performance.

But if we score fewer than 50 points, their D is getting into our backfield, can't rush for at least 4 ypc or give up more than 15ish points, complaining is in order.

Let's not pretend like fans have been complaining for the sake of complaining so far this year. Things have not gone well.

gcockwin

Sep 19, 2022
The next two games are no win situations. Blow them out and meh, that's what's supposed to happen. Can't really gauge anything against inferior competition. You're supposed to grade yourself against elite competition.

Or we don't score enough or the score is close and we scrape by. We all know what the reaction will be if that happens.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
The next two games are no win situations. Blow them out and meh, that's what's supposed to happen. Can't really gauge anything against inferior competition. You're supposed to grade yourself against elite competition.

Or we don't score enough or the score is close and we scrape by. We all know what the reaction will be if that happens.

Yeah, you can't take a lot way from it if we win big, but it would be nice to see the team just go out and take care of business a la Alabama vs La Monroe (63-7). Even if it's an inferior team, you can tell enough from the game. We beat EIU 46-0 last year in the opener, but EIU was a dreadfully bad team and even with a 46-0 win, everyone could tell we had offensive issues, and those were manifested throughout the season.

So, while there won't be much celebration if we go out and trounce Charlotte, you can get a sense of whether we're winning because we're playing well or if we're winning b/c they're just that bad.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I’ve voted in the poll, however, I think it is very important Luke Doty gets significant playing time — for any number of reasons.

As usual, I'll hope we have a substantial halftime lead and Doty an other backups can take the second half.

BigJC

Aug 5, 2022
Points given up should be a more important number. Scoring a bunch on Charlotte won't show anything. We can line up in the I and never throw the ball and we should score 40+. Giving up more than 14 will be cause for concern.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Points given up should be a more important number. Scoring a bunch on Charlotte won't show anything. We can line up in the I and never throw the ball and we should score 40+. Giving up more than 14 will be cause for concern.

For me, again, it's about avoiding the negative. Scoring a bunch may not prove a lot, but NOT scoring a bunch proves A LOT. The game may not be able to tell us a lot of positive things about our offense, but it can definitely tell us a lot of negative things.

USCBatgirl21

Joined Sep 5, 2006
Jan 31, 2022
Guess it depends on the outcome. I don't think there will be celebration for a dominating performance.

But if we score fewer than 50 points, their D is getting into our backfield, can't rush for at least 4 ypc or give up more than 15ish points, complaining is in order.

Let's not pretend like fans have been complaining for the sake of complaining so far this year. Things have not gone well.
Not just talking about this year. It's been this way forever. We still have plenty of fans that complain for the sake of complaining. Score a lot - it doesn't really tell us anything because it's a crap team. Score a little - oh no we suck again.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Not just talking about this year. It's been this way forever. We still have plenty of fans that complain for the sake of complaining. Score a lot - it doesn't really tell us anything because it's a crap team. Score a little - oh no we suck again.
Well, you're not wrong on that.

For me, it's all about how we look. Like I mentioned above, we beat EIU 46-0 in our opener last year and while there were some exciting plays, anyone who watched knows that game showed we had issues on offense. We can win by a lot b/c they stink or we can by a lot b/c we're playing well.

Reactions: USCBatgirl21

eds11

Joined Aug 4, 2005
Jan 31, 2022
And we have plenty of fans who complain about fans who complain

will110

Joined Aug 17, 2018
Jan 20, 2022
I'm hoping for a Charleston Southern performance (72-10) or a 2013 Coastal performance (70-10).

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022

I would say we have the same spread of fans that are at every school, save maybe Bama.

-Some think there is nothing wrong, ever, and that everything is going to be awesome.

-Some think things are headed in the right direction, and we just need more time.

-Some nitpick every detail, but try to see if there's good or bad in everything.

-Some think things are headed in the wrong direction and more time is wasted time.

-Some think everything is terrible, and things will only get worse.

And everyone thinks they're part of that middle group.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Nothing but a cupcake win the next two weeks. Pad the stats.

Well, yeah, but they gave up 41 points and 601 yards.

My target is 60 points. Just because I think we need to show we can. If we can't, we can't, but hopefully we can. My mind tells me this will end up being a 45-19 type win, though.

Viennacock

Jan 21, 2022
Don't really care about our offense against CLT. I need to see some points on the board against a quality opponent before I can buy-in to this offense.

I am more interested in our defense. Charlotte has a good offense and a very good QB. Can we stop them or at least slow them down? If the answer is no, it's going to get very ugly the balance of the season.

Reactions: eds11 and TheRoo

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Don't really care about our offense against CLT.

I care deeply about how our offense performs against them. Charlotte's defense is atrocious, one of the worst in the country. Does it prove a whole lot if we score a bunch of points? Not really. Does it prove a whole lot if we CAN'T score a bunch of points? Absolutely. A failure to rack up big yards and points on Charlotte will be damning. If we can't put up and least 500 yards and 50 points, that means there's no hope for our offense this year. Fire Satt, play all the backups the rest of the way.

Against a Sunbelt team, we didn't look decidedly more talented. We gotta shake that against Charlotte. This should not be a big deal and not much should be made out of it if that's the way the game goes. It should be expected. If we don't look decidedly more talented, bigger, faster and stronger than Charlotte then it's time to sound the alarm.

Last edited:

Prestonyte

Jun 1, 2022
Not as concerned about the score, which I think will take care of itself, if we establish a good mix of effective running game using multiple backs and a passing game featuring 2 QB's based on better scheming than we have shown the past 2 weeks.
My guess is 52-17 but will be happy with less if the above is accomplished.

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
Expectations are definitely down from where they were after the Mayo Bowl

Yeah, coincidentally when we benched Joyner.

Kidding, just remembering someone telling me how he was going to be poached by other teams as a qb.

Slim Chickens Gamecock

Feb 2, 2022
this is the game where you start Ratller and no matter what happens you play Luke the entire second half. you also play other OL, running backs need to get is and get some PT. why can Amos and the GA transfer not get in ever? too few plays is part of the reason, but that shouldnt be an issue this week. hopefully Rucker is available too. watch Jordan Burch and see if he gives effort. I am so dissappointed in where is is as a player. he sulks every play. Gifted beyond belief

LBGCOCK

Joined Feb 16, 2020
Jan 22, 2022
Satisfies nothing except adding 2 easy wins to the column in case you need them to be bowl eligible. Which, considering how competitive we are against SEC competition, we will definitely need them.

Latest posts