Hurricane Hilary is no joke

Harvard Gamecock

Jan 20, 2022
Deaths Caused By Hurricane Hilary To Be Labeled Suicides

Umm, so you do know that this was satire. The Babylon Bee is akin to The Onion, this is a description of their website.

The Babylon Bee is a conservative Christian news satire website that publishes satirical articles on topics including religion, politics, current events, and public figures. It has been referred to as a Christian, evangelical, or conservative version of The Onion

Reactions: scbeachboy

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
Umm, so you do know that this was satire. The Babylon Bee is akin to The Onion, this is a description of their website.

The Babylon Bee is a conservative Christian news satire website that publishes satirical articles on topics including religion, politics, current events, and public figures. It has been referred to as a Christian, evangelical, or conservative version of The Onion

We've had this conversation before, I'm well aware. And it's why I chose to post the article, a joke on a thread claiming the hurricane was no joke.

But I understand why you ask. I assume everyone is familiar with the site by now, given its popularity, but I've actually had to explain what the BB is to some posters here when they thought it was real. Imho, that just makes the satire funnier.

Stardust710

Jul 21, 2023

Can't get nothing past this guy.
@Harvard Gamecock
It's okay. You'll be able to afford your next trailer.

Last edited:

Uscg1984

Jan 28, 2022

Relax, Harvard. Everybody realizes it's a joke.

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022

ConwayGamecock

Jan 20, 2022
By comparison, Hurricane Don in 2017 turned out to be a tepid, below moderate hurricane that ultimately disappointed by the time it reached the United States: its most ferocious moments came against foreign lands when it picked on Cuba briefly as a Category 2 Hurricane with winds that just topped 100 mph, but by the time it made landfall south of Tampa it was barely a hurricane-class storm with wind speeds around 80 mph. Only a few Florida trailer parks were moderately impacted, as the rest of the state and country knew better than to be bothered by it.......

:cool:

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
If you have internet, it's no Hugo.
True….but how prepared do you think SC is. The growth along the coast has been overwhelming the past 5-10 years….and our Guv just this year decided to have meetings to update our evacuation plans. We would be in major trouble if a Cat 2 or above decides to patrol along the lowcountry.

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022

GCJerryUSC

Joined Aug 19, 2001
Jan 17, 2022
Very unusual for southern Calif as the area hasn't had a tropical storm in a long time. Here in Lancaster, we have gotten 5 to 6" of rain in one day with no major flooding. If they have 2" in that area, it's panic time. Some desert areas there are getting 2 or 3 years of rainfall in a single day.

Fried Chicken

Jan 30, 2022
I think the bigger question is the fact the post was made well before Hilary made landfall. So at the time the post was made, even if people were using the Internet during Hugo like they do today, they still would’ve been able to post 3-4 days before it hit.

All that said…I don’t think that was the true intention of the post. Still, the my hurricane was worse than yours (especially before Hilary has even come and gone) stuff is silly. Hugo was devastating to South Carolina. But nationally, most people don’t talk about Hugo like they do Katrina, Andrew, etc…Even as a Category 4, you won’t find it it the Top 10 most devastating hurricanes in US History. Now, if Hugo hit a major city, sure it might rank up there. There a many ways to rate the devastation (death, $$ damage, etc…). Hilary is a strong storm hitting an area that typically doesn’t get them so the area isn’t as prepared as the coasts in the Southeast. I am reminded of Sandy, a category 2, causing massive destruction in the Northeast. The area is expected to get over a years worth of rain in one to two days. There could be mudslides as a result and other conditions that could be awful.

Last edited:

rkierstead8

Joined Dec 16, 2020
Feb 1, 2022

Stardust710

Jul 21, 2023

Uscg1984

Jan 28, 2022
All that said…I don’t think that was the true intention of the post. Still, the my hurricane was worse than yours (especially before Hilary has even come and gone) stuff is silly. Hugo was devastating to South Carolina. But nationally, most people don’t talk about Hugo like they do Katrina, Andrew, etc…Even as a Category 4, you won’t find it it the Top 10 most devastating hurricanes in US History. Now, if Hugo hit a major city, sure it might rank up there. There a many ways to rate the devastation (death, $$ damage, etc…). Hilary is a strong storm hitting an area that typically doesn’t get them so the area isn’t as prepared as the coasts in the Southeast. I am reminded of Sandy, a category 2, causing massive destruction in the Northeast. The area is expected to get over a years worth of rain in one to two days. There could be mudslides as a result and other conditions that could be awful.
Wasn't Hugo still a hurricane when it passed through Charlotte, blowing windows out of sky scrapers? Hugo was unusual in that it moved so fast that it was still a hurricane well inland, hitting Charleston, Columbia, and then Charlotte, all in the same night. I know it completely destroyed two large barns on our property in Eastover. It's up for debate as to whether Columbia or Charlotte qualify as major cities, but Eastover clearly does. :ROFLMAO:

I agree with your point about the "my hurricane was worse than your hurricane" argument being a silly one.

Reactions: Rogue Cock

socalcock

Garnet Trust Supporter
Aug 2, 2023
I can officially say I've lived through both.

Hugo put a tree through our roof in Camden.

We got some flooded roads from Hilary in Orange County but nothing too serious. That said, it's pretty unusual to see literally any rainfall here let alone a tropical storm. Wildfires are a different story.

Stardust710

Jul 21, 2023
I can officially say I've lived through both.

Hugo put a tree through our roof in Camden.

We got some flooded roads from Hilary in Orange County but nothing too serious. That said, it's pretty unusual to see literally any rainfall here let alone a tropical storm. Wildfires are a different story.
****, I was in Bishopville. Went to get away from it at grandmas and went to the eye of the storm.