I had no idea the Arizona Coyotes played in the ASU hockey arena.

Psu00

Oct 12, 2021
Is it true the NHL wouldn’t let them relocate to a different city after they got booted from their normal arena? I’m not sure how they’ll survive playing in a 4,600 seat arena for the next 2-3 years.

WanderingSpectator

Oct 12, 2021
Is it true the NHL wouldn’t let them relocate to a different city after they got booted from their normal arena? I’m not sure how they’ll survive playing in a 4,600 seat arena for the next 2-3 years.
They’re trying to get a new arena but…politics. The current setup is actually very cool from a fan perspective.
ASU wrestling hosts meets in there on occasion too.

Psu00

Oct 12, 2021
They’re trying to get a new arena but…politics. The current setup is actually very cool from a fan perspective.
ASU wrestling hosts meets in there on occasion too.
Yeah, it’s a much more intimate arena for fans but I was thinking just from a money perspective. I assume they’re paying ASU something to use their arena and it only holds 4,600 people (roughly). Not sure how they expect to make ends meet.

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
I thought I had read somewhere that they had defaulted on rental payments on the Arena that was their home arena - well over six figures. The bulding was owned by the municipality/county and the team was paying rent, and just....stopped paying. So, out they go.

Reactions: Psu00

WanderingSpectator

Oct 12, 2021
I thought I had read somewhere that they had defaulted on rental payments on the Arena that was their home arena - well over six figures. The bulding was owned by the municipality/county and the team was paying rent, and just....stopped paying. So, out they go.
When they moved to AZ in the late 90s, they moved into America West Arena in Downtown Phoenix where the Suns played. I had season tix back then. The arena was too small for the ice so they had obstructed view seats behind one of the nets. Th upper deck seats couldn’t see the net below because the ice was tucked under the overhang.

Then they moved from there to Glendale where the Cardinals stadium is located. At the time, it was a 30-40 min drive for me without traffic. We gave up the tickets and essentially stopped following them.

There has been ongoing disputes with the team and the city of Glendale and they finally defaulted.

Then they had plans to build a new arena as part of a larger entertainment district in Tempe but the city of Phoenix sued because they said it was too close to the airport on the approach and would jeopardize the airport for future growth.

Now it’s held up in the courts. My guess is it’s more about tax revenue than safety.

Reactions: Psu00

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
When they moved to AZ in the late 90s, they moved into America West Arena in Downtown Phoenix where the Suns played. I had season tix back then. The arena was too small for the ice so they had obstructed view seats behind one of the nets. Th upper deck seats couldn’t see the net below because the ice was tucked under the overhang.

Then they moved from there to Glendale where the Cardinals stadium is located. At the time, it was a 30-40 min drive for me without traffic. We gave up the tickets and essentially stopped following them.

There has been ongoing disputes with the team and the city of Glendale and they finally defaulted.

Then they had plans to build a new arena as part of a larger entertainment district in Tempe but the city of Phoenix sued because they said it was too close to the airport on the approach and would jeopardize the airport for future growth.

Now it’s held up in the courts. My guess is it’s more about tax revenue than safety.
Interesting. The airport appears to be hemmed in already - and the runways are already about 2.3 miles long, so they can accomdate pretty much any plane. Is the area around the airport flat or hilly? (Specifically looking at where Highway 143 traverses).

Psu00

Oct 12, 2021
Is it true they were trying to move to a new city but the NHL wouldn’t let them?

WanderingSpectator

Oct 12, 2021
Interesting. The airport appears to be hemmed in already - and the runways are already about 2.3 miles long, so they can accomdate pretty much any plane. Is the area around the airport flat or hilly? (Specifically looking at where Highway 143 traverses).
It’s relatively flat but there are a couple of buttes by ASU that the planes fly over. When they tried to put the Cardinals stadium there the FAA said it would be too high and it would be a danger with air traffic.

To be clear, there was a vote that was put to the community and they turned the development of the $2.1B Coyotes Entertainment District down. There was a lot of money pushing against it and it wouldn’t surprise me if it was the city of Phoenix.

Now they are talking about a move to Northeast PHX. Surprise. Surprise. It’s my belief that PHX wanted it and pursued the lawsuit to block Tempe and force another site.

troutrus

Oct 7, 2021
Always enjoyed the Westgate area for convenience when attending games as you can park and walk to restaurants/bars then to the game. Same thing with Fiesta Bowl and Cardinal’s games at Cardinals stadium or whatever the new name is.
Definitely has the cheapest NFL tickets.

Last edited:

Latest posts