I have never left a baseball game early...

Burke Masters

Jun 3, 2007
because I was tired of watching us play, til now (as you may have guessed by the username, I am a huge baseball fan). This is absolutely pathetic. I was hopeful, and I hoped we'd come together. But here we are, one weekend away from SEC play and I don't see us winning a game over the next two weekends. I haven't been a Polk fan for quite some time, but I always hoped he'd put it together.

Patdog, I owe you an apology. I never posted it, but I always hoped we'd shut you up. We won't. We plain and simply aren't worth a damn.

I can't believe I am saying this, but I hope Ole Miss makes it to Omaha. It shouldn't come to this, but I think this is what it will take. Improvements must be made with MSU Baseball.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
that even if ole miss makes it to omaha, our sheep will just say "Yeah but we've been 8 times and they have only been once".

At which time, they will have to be corrected that ole miss has already been 4 times. So then they can say "Yeah but we've been 8 times and they have only been five times."

People will do anything to rationalize this program to make themselves feel better about it. And it never helps to have enablers like PaperDog and Hubdog.

Todd4State

Mar 3, 2008
I agree with you, but I also think it's also going to take us losing to Ole Miss, which may be quelled a little bit by the basketball team, not making the SEC Tourney, not making a Regional, and having a losing record to maybe get rid of Polk.

We are going to need the cigar boys and Byrne to step up big time now that Doc is out. I'm afraid that Byrne will just renew his contract mainly because of the timing, but it just depends on when Byrne officially gets the keys to the car. I figure our season will end in May, and Byrne won't take over until June, but Polk's contract might run out sometime after that. I don't know.

The last baseball coach that we "fired" was Bragan, and my Dad was a student then and had some pretty good knowledge of the situation. Basically the cigar boys bought his contract out and our AD (Tyler?) hired Polk. I could see the same thing happening to Polk. He won't be as expensive to buy out as say Croom would. Plus, it looks like Stansbury and Croom will be around for the forseeable future, so it's not like we will be paying a bunch of people who don't work for MSU anymore.

But I do agree that the better Ole Miss does, the worse it is for Polk.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
need Polk to retire. There are too many players that love the guy and can't see the forest for the trees. And I fear losing all financial support.

Todd4State

Mar 3, 2008
That's also why beating them during the regular season would hurt getting rid of Polk. Because the sheep would rationalize it as "Well, Ole Miss got hot and/or lucky, but we were just as good because we beat them 2/3 times."

The really funny thing is going to be if Polk gets booted and they start saying things like "Well, anyone could see that he was losing it."

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
taking out his frustrations on Jim Ellis. Says he's never been a fan of his announcing and that he gets too excited for the other team.

Give him a break, its not like we give him too much to get excited about. Regardless, he's one of the best in the business.

hotdigitydog

May 21, 2007
rationalize things with him. He'd walk thru fire to lick the sweat off of Polk's nut sack............

Todd4State

Mar 3, 2008
8Dog said:
need Polk to retire. There are too many players that love the guy and can't see the forest for the trees. And I fear losing all financial support.

I see that as an athletic dept. problem. They need to desperately advertise the Dugout Club and start promoting the games and get butts in the seats. Plus, there are the cigar boys, and heck Paps loves him so much that he makes fun of the man's "small unit". (We'll take his word on that.)</p>

RebelBruiser

Aug 21, 2007
our bats have decided to take a vacation, so maybe it'll be the stoppable force (our offense) against the movable object (your pitching) next weekend.

Honestly, the Friday game between Lynn and Pigott should be a good one. Outside of that, I could see it getting sloppy. We still have a long way to go as well.

skydawg1

Jul 31, 2007
Maybe finishing dead last in the SEC would be enough for the powers that be to give Polk the heave-ho.

We're well on our way to doing just that, by the way.

Todd4State

Mar 3, 2008
If we don't throw strikes, you don't have to swing the bat.

So, I'll give Ole Miss the edge there.

Burke Masters

Jun 3, 2007
MSU is the best cure for silent bats you've ever seen.

I am not going to crown you SEC champs or anything, just think you handle us. I look forward (not really) to coming to Oxford for the Regional, Super Regional.

On a side note: any other students have a problem getting in? I had to buy a ticket since the scanner wouldn't scan my student <span style="font-style: italic;">ID.</span> I thought it was ********.

Stormrider81

May 1, 2006
8Dog said:
that even if ole miss makes it to omaha, our sheep will just say "Yeah but we've been 8 times and they have only been once".

At which time, they will have to be corrected that ole miss has already been 4 times. So then they can say "Yeah but we've been 8 times and they have only been five times."

People will do anything to rationalize this program to make themselves feel better about it. And it never helps to have enablers like PaperDog and Hubdog.

</p>pretty similar stuff was posted here a short while back when we were discussing Ole Miss passing us in baseball. "Well, we went to Omaha last June."

noxdog

May 28, 2007
That was just like winning the SECT a couple years ago. We were all living in the MOMENT. That's understandable. Today is reality and I think most of us knew it was coming. I, too had hoped we had turned a corner, but we did not. Polish it up all you want. I hope i'm wrong, but fundamentally, this might be our weakest team in ???

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
I think we've officially become a basketball school now anyway. I believe I will just personally take some time off from MSU sports once basketball is over and wait for football in the Fall. Its hard enough for me to stomach Polk when we are doing halfway decent much less when we are as pathetic as we appear to be this year.

Feb 23, 2008
Haven't seen the guy post at all on the baseball subject. I'm sure he's waiting in the wings though to tell us how foolish we are for criticizing Polk after we beat MS Valley in the midweek. On a postgame note, Polk says he stuck with Piggott today longer than usual because Weatherford is out with a sore shoulder. What I want to know is WTF are our pitchers doing to get sore shoulders all the time? A better question might be who are the goofs posing as team trainers? I swear we have more nagging injuries than any other team in America. We've played 11 games, it's not like they're being overly-exerted or something. We lost what would have been our ace last year and this year (Lea) thanks to our outstanding training/rehab dept.

Burke Masters

Jun 3, 2007
maroonmania said:
I will just personally take some time off from MSU sports once basketball is over and wait for football in the Fall.

This isn't an option for me. Football and basketball, for the most part, just take up time between baseball seasons for me. I enjoy football, and really like basketball. But baseball is and always will be numero uno for me. That's what makes this so frustrating. I enjoyed the hell out of the Super Regional last year, even gave Polk the benefit of the doubt that maybe he had some fire left in him. But there's no excuse for this ****. We aren't even a fundamentally sound baseball team anymore.
</p>