If you are not mad about NIL yet, let the NCAA do the honor

Fowlmoodin99

Joined Oct 28, 1998
Jan 20, 2022
I don't know where to start. The gist of this article is essentially that the NCAA can do nothing with third party involvement-----the big, big money, but can go after the small collectives just trying to compete.

"The deals are being done with third parties. And the NCAA obviously has no jurisdiction over those third parties," said Mit Winter, a former college basketball player and now a sports law attorney for Kennyhertz Perry. "[The NCAA] can talk to and gather information from schools and the athletes. But any incriminating information is most likely going to be among people that either work for or have some involvement with third parties."

"I could see the NCAA wanting to gather information from the schools to see if there is any relationship between the school and its employees and the collectives," Winter said. "I can see the NCAA being very interested in that."

The NCAA is a worthless, toothless monstrosity in this new age. They add nothing to the conversation.

Harvard Gamecock

Jan 20, 2022
I don't know where to start. The gist of this article is essentially that the NCAA can do nothing with third party involvement-----the big, big money, but can go after the small collectives just trying to compete.

"The deals are being done with third parties. And the NCAA obviously has no jurisdiction over those third parties," said Mit Winter, a former college basketball player and now a sports law attorney for Kennyhertz Perry. "[The NCAA] can talk to and gather information from schools and the athletes. But any incriminating information is most likely going to be among people that either work for or have some involvement with third parties."

"I could see the NCAA wanting to gather information from the schools to see if there is any relationship between the school and its employees and the collectives," Winter said. "I can see the NCAA being very interested in that."

The NCAA is a worthless, toothless monstrosity in this new age. They add nothing to the conversation.

In case you have not kept up with the legal aspect of this issue, the NCAA lost their case against NIL in Federal Court and before SCOTUS.
Legally there is very little they can do at this point. Third parties have no incentive to co-operate with the NCAA.

See article below.
The NCAA has lost an additional federal court battle on name, image, and likeness (NIL) compensation for student-athletes just days after the U.S. Supreme Court’s unanimous decision confirming the Ninth Circuit’s ruling that the NCAA’s limitation on education-related benefits for student-athletes violates federal antitrust laws.

https://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/the-hits-keep-coming-ncaa-loses-another-8490423/

Reactions: Rogue Cock

Fowlmoodin99

Joined Oct 28, 1998
Jan 20, 2022
In case you have not kept up with the legal aspect of this issue, the NCAA lost their case against NIL in Federal Court and before SCOTUS.
Legally there is very little they can do at this point. Third parties have no incentive to co-operate with the NCAA.

See article below.
The NCAA has lost an additional federal court battle on name, image, and likeness (NIL) compensation for student-athletes just days after the U.S. Supreme Court’s unanimous decision confirming the Ninth Circuit’s ruling that the NCAA’s limitation on education-related benefits for student-athletes violates federal antitrust laws.

https://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/the-hits-keep-coming-ncaa-loses-another-8490423/
Yep, I'm aware of the SC action. The fact that the NCAA sulks into their corner and tries to narrow down the field of offenders exhibits the obvious uselessness of their existence and the irony of their "maintaining order." They should stand down or be shut down. They have been legislated into oblivion with the current NIL landscape.

Last edited:

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
Yep, I'm aware of the SC action. The fact that the NCAA sulks into their corner and tries to narrow down the field of offenders exhibits the obvious uselessness of their existence and the irony of their "maintaining order." They should stand down or be shut down. They have been legislated into oblivion with the current NIL landscape.
They simply are trying to maintain the amateur status of college sports. Lose that status....you have a plethora of other legal issues to deal with.

Fowlmoodin99

Joined Oct 28, 1998
Jan 20, 2022
They simply are trying to maintain the amateur status of college sports. Lose that status....you have a plethora of other legal issues to deal with.
And in applying whatever rules they may still apply they make the playing field more uneven. The ship has sailed. The old cause is dead for them.

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
And in applying whatever rules they may still apply they make the playing field more uneven. The ship has sailed. The old cause is dead for them.

The field was uneven when the USSC made its decision. Agree that the NCAA may have lost its purpose for the larger P5 schools...if this trend grows. I believe eventually tne P5 schools will leave the NCAA of their own accord or the NCAA will cut them loose to protect the smaller schools.

And Mr. Zimmerman didn't even begin to delve into the issues the loss of amateur status would involve. He compared them rightly to professionals, but he didn't get into what professionalism would mean. And he is wrong that they don't prepare players for life after sports.....that is exactly why they are in college or danged well should be....to get a freakin' free education.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fowlmoodin99