I'm 48 years old. Do you think PSU will win a CFB Championship if I live another 40 years?

Mr. Potter

Oct 18, 2021
I truly thought this was the year we would make the playoffs. I understand the bad breaks the team has incurred this season but something seems amiss. I judt van't pinpoint what that is.

kgilbert78

Oct 25, 2021
You never know, but it's increasingly unlikely. In other sports in the US, there's a salary cap of some kind which evens up the playing field. There are very few teams that haven't made it at least to a final in the last 50 years. In football, I think it's the Browns and the Lions. Baseball? Seattle. NBA? A few, including Charlotte and New Orleans, who have never made a conference final. In hockey, there's the Jackets, Minnesota, Arizona, and the Jets. As a Philadelphia fan, I've seen all of my teams win during my life (not that I remember the 1960 Iggles win--but then they won a Super Bowl). And my Columbus Crew have two.

But there's no cap in the new realm of college football--and we are not in a major media market which allows for more NIL opportunities. Time will tell, but I think it's going to get tough. Really tough.

91Joe95

Oct 6, 2021
Getting older sneaks up fast doesn't it?

This team has a poor attention to detail and consistently little focus on the running game. The little depth in some spots is hit or miss. I was stunned by how little the back up qb's could be relied upon, but in past years it wasn't like that, so that can be more of a crapshoot. At the same time though, a running qb takes tons of hits and you're going to need that help at some point. A commitment to running the ball helps alleviate that nut, but... sigh.

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
Well I have seen 2 (I also count 94 as one so 3); 2 Phillies World Series wins; 3 Devils Stanley Cups; 2 Knicks championshps; 4 Buffalo consecutive trips to the SB but no wins. I am hopeful that Buffalo will break the spell sooner than later. Tottenham…..:( As for all the others, if it doesn’t happen in the next 20 yrs. or so then my chances are slim! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021
We had zero chance to make playoff this year and the next 4 years of scheduling are harder. So I don’t see it in the next 5 years unless they expand the playoff.

Player2BNamedL8r

Oct 12, 2021
I’m 49…a year ahead of you - if we both stick around until 88, and they win it all the year after I kick the bucket, I’m going to be pissed and probably will haunt you for your entire last year on earth!!

psupride1997

Oct 25, 2021
A lot of us where what, 13, 14 years old on that magical night of Jan. 2, 1987? In many ways that was perfect age, because it’s the biggest thing in the world at that point.

I’m not sure it is going to happen again. I point more to changing demographics and the overall decline of HS football in this region. There are still great players of course, but not like the old days where Joe could reload just by picking the best guys from PA, NJ, MD and Virginia. Now the best players are all in California, Texas and Florida, so you need to recruit nationally. Ohio State has done a good job of that, I’m not sure Penn State ever will, no matter who the coach is.

An 8-12 team playoff would help, because at least then I think PSU could sneak in every few years. Then at least they are at the big dance, and have a shot.

ODShowtime

Nov 1, 2021
Hope is where all the pain comes from. Accept reality and release yourself from the constant disappointment.

Reactions: Cactus Jim

Bing77

Oct 25, 2021
I’m 66 and was fortunate to experience the thrills following the ‘82’ and ‘86’ seasons (plus what should have been the ‘94’ season). At those times, I never thought we would go the length of time that we’ve experienced since then without a National Championship. I am now growing more and more skeptical with each passing year that I will get that experience again in my lifetime.

Cactus Jim

Oct 6, 2021
I'm in my early 30's. I was a freshman during the 2008 season. Sadly that's probably the closest we might come (f'in Iowa) but I remain hopeful. Clemson fans probably had this same discussion about the 1980 title not long ago. Just never know.

ODShowtime

Nov 1, 2021
I was once told to lower my expectations...I'm still at that lower level.

I was told that caring too much about football leads to the rape of children. After that losing some games is nothing.

We could be champs some day, but we haven't had all the luck we need all at once. Every part of the college football world is against us. From our conference office to the TV channels and talking heads to the weather itself, it's always something.

PrtLng Lion

Oct 14, 2021
If college FB is still around in 40 years, I'll say I think we win at least one somewhere in that timeframe. Yep, pure speculation and optimism. It might take some changes (AD, head coach, who knows...) but I think there's enough support from alumni and fans to keep packing Beaver Stadium, drawing national interest, recruits, etc. (maybe Joe's ghost will intervene on our behalf in a critical moment sometime) that our number is going to come up.

I'm 47 and my bigger question is if I'm going to be around in 40 years (and do I really want to be).

Reactions: ODShowtime

IANit

Oct 6, 2021
I truly thought this was the year we would make the playoffs. I understand the bad breaks the team has incurred this season but something seems amiss. I judt van't pinpoint what that is.
Maybe our coach is distracted by other things?

IANit

Oct 6, 2021
You never know, but it's increasingly unlikely. In other sports in the US, there's a salary cap of some kind which evens up the playing field. There are very few teams that haven't made it at least to a final in the last 50 years. In football, I think it's the Browns and the Lions. Baseball? Seattle. NBA? A few, including Charlotte and New Orleans, who have never made a conference final. In hockey, there's the Jackets, Minnesota, Arizona, and the Jets. As a Philadelphia fan, I've seen all of my teams win during my life (not that I remember the 1960 Iggles win--but then they won a Super Bowl). And my Columbus Crew have two.

But there's no cap in the new realm of college football--and we are not in a major media market which allows for more NIL opportunities. Time will tell, but I think it's going to get tough. Really tough.
Are we limiting Penn State to the State College market for NIL? I mean there are Penn State fans all over the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic and the New York Times has traditionally covered our games. If a player's a legit superstar (Lavar, Ki-Jana, Saquon) they should be able to find bigger opportunities without a problem. Most of the big-name college football teams aren't in major media markets.

BananaGuyMike

Nov 2, 2021
We won't win for as long as we're in the B1G. Even when we win the league, someone else (O$U) gets into the playoffs.
Make it a 12-team conference, and we'll just run into the same thing when we face Bama or anyone else from the $EC.
We may be allowed to play our own cards, but someone else is choosing which cards are in our hand.

MaconNitt

Oct 12, 2021
Now the best players are all in California, Texas and Florida, so you need to recruit nationally. Ohio State has done a good job of that, I’m not sure Penn State ever will, no matter who the coach is.
we are making progress in that area

Lee, Holmes Florida

Washington Texas

Cain Louisiana/IMG Fla

Wallace Alabama

and for international flavor

Sutherland, Veilluex, Luketa, Meiga Canada

kgilbert78

Oct 25, 2021
Are we limiting Penn State to the State College market for NIL? I mean there are Penn State fans all over the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic and the New York Times has traditionally covered our games. If a player's a legit superstar (Lavar, Ki-Jana, Saquon) they should be able to find bigger opportunities without a problem. Most of the big-name college football teams aren't in major media markets.
No--but it's a lot easier, for example, if your school is actually in a major media market. Like UCLA or U$C

FrontierLion

Oct 12, 2021
Looking back 40 years ago, the final 1981 rankings included the usual suspects ... Clemson, Texas, Georgia, Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan, USC, Oklahoma and Penn State who finished the year ranked #3. It's funny how 40 years later these polls largely include the same names, give or take a few outliers. 40 years from now? It'll probably still be the same "bluebloods" of college football. There are only a handful of teams with an actual chance to win it all. If the playoff is expanded, I would put Penn State into that mix ... you just never know how playoffs can unfold if a certain team gets hot at the right time.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
Apparently you haven't read the New York Times for a while. It barely covers college football. Sports section is a shadow of what it once was.

NittanyBuff

Oct 30, 2021
Probably better odds than the Buccos getting another one in my life time.

Reactions: bluewhiteapos

Classof09

Oct 12, 2021
It all depends on what PSU wants to be. Do we sell out to become an Alabama, OSU, Georgia, Clemson, etc. National titles would be the goal with every single dollar and effort devoted to that? To compete at that level, we become a school that pulls scholarships, pushes kids out the door, sells our souls for recruiting, and does all we can to compete at that level. Are we willing to put water slides and roller coasters on campus to attract recruits? Would we ask guys like Clifford to leave if Spencer Rattler wanted to come and we didn’t have a spot? Those are the things we would need to do IMO to compete regularly. Success with Honor may not win titles anymore. It’s recruiting, money and more money. So, admin makes a decision - win at all and any cost, or settle for Top 10 with a 1% chance of lightning in a bottle. I’ll settle for the latter and walk around with pride about our program being a college program, not the NFL junior league.

Last edited:

psu31trap

Oct 29, 2021
I’m going to remain consistent with my response. Yes, Penn State can win a National Championship or two. But it will take a unified effort from a University that’s all in and a head coach and assistants that are all in as well.

Reactions: Mr. Potter

Corner Room Breakfast

Oct 27, 2021
The playoffs are going to expand whether the SEC and Southern fans like it or not, i can see two SEC teams getting lined up again this year.

The other issue is Conferences. Maybe expansion, realigning division, or scheduling.

CFB fans are not stupid and notice the Alabama , OSU, Oklahoma, N.D. positioning. It's going to be 8-12- or 16 teams and will make the game better.

Bowls are on life support along with non power 5 teams.

To answer your question--- yes . Probably within 5-7 years.

Still in State Colllege

Oct 12, 2021
Ask Dan Marino. He gets to a Super Bowl in second season and figures more good times ahead and he never got back.

It is incredibly hard to win championships. It becomes doubly so in CFB as the only way to "earn" your spot is to go undefeated and you still have to be selected.

Reactions: ODShowtime

danvillenit

Oct 30, 2021
I really like this class coming in next year. Very hopeful.
We really need three classes like 2022. There are some good players in this class but we need more. Depth will continue to be an issue until we string together multiple top 10 classes.
The 2021 class was not strong and not one freshman has made a real impact. King has been disappointing imo after all the spring hype