Is anyone else still putting up Christmas decorations?

fairgambit

Oct 12, 2021
Ah, those crazy Gambits! We are having a 12th Night Party this Friday and are adding to our copious Christmas decorations. Yes, it is past the traditional 12th Night, but is is the proper date for those Orthodox Christians of which my mom was one. My wife and I will preside over the festivities dressed as King and Queen, and there will be great food, drink, and abundant merriment. While the Gambits will continue to celebrate Christmas until Candlemas Day (February 2nd), for most of our guests this will be the last event of the Christmas season. Hark, my Queen beckons me and I must depart. Merry Christmas to all and may God Bless us, every one.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Ah, those crazy Gambits! We are having a 12th Night Party this Friday and are adding to our copious Christmas decorations. Yes, it is past the traditional 12th Night, but is is the proper date for those Orthodox Christians of which my mom was one. My wife and I will preside over the festivities dressed as King and Queen, and there will be great food, drink, and abundant merriment. While the Gambits will continue to celebrate Christmas until Candlemas Day (February 2nd), for most of our guests this will be the last event of the Christmas season. Hark, my Queen beckons me and I must depart. Merry Christmas to all and may God Bless us, every one.

sounds great, @fairgambit. Nice of you to continue the traditions of your mom. Do your grown-up kids (and grandkids) also celebrate as long as your wife and you do?

I enjoy the decorations, and the tree we got this year is the healthiest one I've had in many years (it's a white pine). For whatever reason, it hasn't dropped any needles, and continues to look nice. My lovely wife keeps hinting that it's time to take down the decorations, but I'm in no rush. (She'll eventually win that debate.)

fairgambit

Oct 12, 2021
sounds great, @fairgambit. Nice of you to continue the traditions of your mom. Do your grown-up kids (and grandkids) also celebrate as long as your wife and you do?

I enjoy the decorations, and the tree we got this year is the healthiest one I've had in many years (it's a white pine). For whatever reason, it hasn't dropped any needles, and continues to look nice. My lovely wife keeps hinting that it's time to take down the decorations, but I'm in no rush. (She'll eventually win that debate.)
My 2 daughters, and 4 grandchildren, have taken down their tree and decorations, but they take comfort in knowing they can still visit us and celebrate. I am happy to hear your tree is still aglow. I take joy in knowing that I am not the only one with a tree still up. As I have noted here before, our rule is the tree must come down before the 1st day of Lent which this year is Feb 12th for Byzantine Catholics and Feb 14th for most everyone else.

Meats Lab

Nov 13, 2023

Funny you mention a healthy tree Tom. We just took our Blue Spruce down today which was cut on Dec 3. My wife and I were amazed there were very few needle droppings. Never so it so healthy in 33 Christmas’. A friend of mine also noticed same. Wonder what it was that brought such good health this year.

ApexLion

Nov 1, 2021
We cleaned everything up @fairgambit but the wife enjoyed the tree (see photo).

1705271412464.png

Alphalion75

Oct 21, 2021
Early 2024 Merry Christmas salutations.

• Love
Reactions: fairgambit

Night Raven

Jan 3, 2022
My 2 daughters, and 4 grandchildren, have taken down their tree and decorations, but they take comfort in knowing they can still visit us and celebrate. I am happy to hear your tree is still aglow. I take joy in knowing that I am not the only one with a tree still up. As I have noted here before, our rule is the tree must come down before the 1st day of Lent which this year is Feb 12th for Byzantine Catholics and Feb 14th for most everyone else.
My tree came down last night. Our general rule is when the spiders start making webs in it, it is time to consider taking it down.