Isis Lang Created the USC Majorette Team

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
All one needs to do is read the quotes on the jpgs. That's why I put them there. Again, African Americans did not steal the idea for Hip-Hop from Jamaicans, nor is it based on Jamaican culture.

Three sentences.
We can agree to disagree on some of this. I agree on some of it.

I never said they stole it brother. I said it had influenced it. I was never in the Bronx but I was at Sound System dances in Bed Stuy in the 1976-77 time frame and there was no one else doing anything like that anywhere. I also never implied that it was Reggae that influenced, other than that was the music that was playing in the sound systems. I said Black Americans took what they saw and heard the Jamaicans doing and made their own thing out of it. I stand by that.

As for toasting, we called it DJing too, whereas in hip hop that is the person who spins the discs. In Sound System he’s called The Selector.

But Jamaicans were “ toasting” way back in the late 60’s.

This is from 1970, U Roy toasting over a Paragons ryddim

I’m not going to battle with you over this.
You can Google all you want, but I lived it. I was at Madison Sq Garden when Bob Marley and Curtis Blow opened for the Commodores, and I was with them a week later when he played his last show in Pittsburgh and I was there when they got word the tour was cancelled due to him taking sick.

I’m also the only American who ever produced an album with Bob Marley’s band while he was still living.

I just have to ask you a couple of things though. Why did you focus on an almost throwaway remark I made, mostly to support my contention that twerking, as we know it, started in Dancehalls in Jamaica in the early 80’s. It’s something I saw with my own eyes, but nothing else that was said, caught your attention?

Also, I don’t understand why you have to make this stuff so personal with me. To my knowledge I’ve never had any conflicts with you in the past. You did the same thing in the Tony Boselli- Bruce Smith thread, even though plenty of other people were saying the same thing I did.

We agree on a lot of stuff. No one was more supportive of the young ladies in this thread than I was. Yet you see stuff like people saying it was “ affirmative action for black chicks” or “ a Marxist plot to further segregate”campus” or whatever. Crickets.

Instead you do 9000 characters on Herc and Coxsone, lol.

I just don’t get it. We can disagree without being disrespectful or insulting.

FYI, most of my opinion about the topic is based on those experiences I had in Brooklyn.

I only heard the Cool Herc stuff when he was on an episode of Anthony Bourdain and he certainly didn’t refute AB’s contention that his experiences growing up in Kingston and hearing sound systems shaped his approach to creating music when he grew up.

Not sure if you’ve ever been to Jamaica, but you don’t need to be inside a Sound Sytem dance to know what it’s like. It can turn your body into a tuning fork from blocks away.

Reactions: SC Mindstorm

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
The Laker girls are just ridiculous, and the female beach volleyball outfits are a sad joke. The men play beach vb in baggy board shorts, but the women wear lingerie?
What's most ridiculous about the Laker Girls are what they get paid.

Women beach volleyball players are not wearing lingerie. No lace or satin or silk. Lol. First of all, there is a difference between what NCAA players wear and what pro players wear. In college, the women wear a tank top and a spandex bottom.

1664647977180.png

Nothing wrong there IMO.

As for the pros, as of 2012, the women have more options than the men by a number of 5 to 1. Women's pairs can choose any of the options as long as both players on the team wear the same. The men are required to wear a tank so that their number and country are apparent to officials. If that weren't required, the men would likely opt for no top at all.

Here is Egypt's team and their preferred option.....
1664648233384.png
Corinne Calabro, the communications director for USA Volleyball....."“The athletes are allowed to wear long sleeves, they’re allowed to wear shorts, tank tops,” Calabro said. “But we’ve gotten a lot of athletes on record saying they prefer to wear a two-piece because there are less places for sand to hide. They don’t view it as swim wear or anything like a fashion statement. For them, that’s their uniform.”

Kerri Walsh Jennings....“When it comes to beach volleyball, we’re playing in 100-degree-plus weather. I think we’ve just gotta educate the public, take it with a grain of salt and make sure that we’re working hard and not playing up the sex appeal because it’s inherent anyway.”

"Top U.S. duo April Ross and Alix Klineman said they prefer the smaller bikinis and could have worn shorts if they had chosen to.

“For me personally, I think everyone should be able to wear what they’re comfortable in,” Ross said. “I think for us, this is what feels the most comfortable. Sometimes wearing more clothing in really hot weather, getting sand stuck in places is not fun.”

These are athletic bodies. If someone chooses to view their uniforms as "sexy" or "lingerie", that's their problem, not the athletes problem.

Latest posts