It was finally revealed. David Chase said Tony Soprono died in the ending that was cut to black.

Keyser Soze 16802

Oct 12, 2021
Wouldn't killing him with his family present violate the Mafia rules given that innocent bystanders could easily be killed? The assassin would then get whacked

Reactions: Midnighter

NewEra 2014

Oct 12, 2021
For years, it seemed like Chase was annoyed he had to respond to the question. He left a bunch of clues in the last few episodes that Tony was going to be whacked, and the cut to black fit perfectly with how Tony was told it would be when it happened.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
For years, it seemed like Chase was annoyed he had to respond to the question. He left a bunch of clues in the last few episodes that Tony was going to be whacked, and the cut to black fit perfectly with how Tony was told it would be when it happened.

I don't buy it that he's confirming anything - especially that he chickened out and wouldn't show Tony's death. You don't put that much time and effort into groundbreaking art - and show EVERY. SINGLE. DEATH. - and then go total ambiguity for the finale, for the star of the show, at a random diner, with his family there. He was annoyed that people wanted to see Tony die, so he doesn't show it, then complains about people speculating? Bleh. I think he thought no one would be satisfied with whatever he did so he left it open to interpretation (wussed out). Chase is a grouchy dude these days; I think he likes attention though.

I also don't get how this confirms anything, noting he did 'think' Tony should die in a place like a diner (doesn't mean he does):

“They wanted to know that Tony was killed. They wanted to see him go face-down in linguini, you know? And I just thought, ‘God, you watched this guy for seven years and I know he’s a criminal. But don’t tell me you don’t love him in some way, don’t tell me you’re not on his side in some way. And now you want to see him killed? You want justice done? You’re a criminal after watching this **** for seven years.’ That bothered me, yeah.”

You don't whack a boss at a diner. And especially don't have some no-name do it. There are rules and procedure with the mob. Hell - everyone knew where Tony lived - he could have gotten it any day.

Angry The Sopranos GIF by HBO

OuiRPSU

Oct 6, 2021
He likely didn’t get whacked at the diner at that moment. That’s just how the series ended. He probably got whacked shortly thereafter.

Last edited:

Wex18

Oct 29, 2021
In the previous episode, he was speculating what happens after death with another character.
He said, "I think it just ends."

Quint526

Oct 29, 2021
I think that there is little debate that Tony died. As mentioned already, there are numerous clues throughout the final season beginning with E1 ("Members Only") and the final episode ("Made in America"). There was an earlier episode where Bobby and Tony discussed when it happens, and they concluded that you never hear it coming. The unidentified man in the Members Only jacket was possibly an assassin brought in from Italy (which happened in another episode) who got "Made in America" by killing Tony.

There is a long analysis on-line from a likely film student that breaks down the final scene with the only conclusion being the abrupt cut to black is what Tony sees when Meadow enters Holsten's. In the final scene, there is a deliberate pattern that repeats 4 or 5 times. The bell on the door rings; Tony looks up to see who it is; they show you who Tony sees; and then they cut back for Tony's reaction. In the final sequence, Meadow approaches the door; the bell rings and then a very abrupt cut to black. You are seeing what Tony sees (i.e., nothing). He's dead.

I have a friend who is a Sopranos fanatic. I live in Bucks County, but he has taken me on a Sopranos tour more than once in North Jersey. I have been to Tony's house, Patterson Falls, Satin Dolls (from the outside, honest) and Holsten's. Holsten's has no door bell and never did. Chase added it. He also added the backwall coverings of the orange tiger (a cinematic sign of impending danger), football references and the house that is eerily similar to the mansion in Tony's dream during his coma. The booth juke boxes were also added by Chase. Last, Tony's booth is directly out from the bathrooms. A clear kill shot unblocked by the late arriving Meadow.

Regarding being assassinated in front of your family, Tony broke that rule when he killed Phil Leotardo.

Chase is miserable and holds people in low regard. I think that Tony was always going to get his due in some manner.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
I think that there is little debate that Tony died. As mentioned already, there are numerous clues throughout the final season beginning with E1 ("Members Only") and the final episode ("Made in America"). There was an earlier episode where Bobby and Tony discussed when it happens, and they concluded that you never hear it coming. The unidentified man in the Members Only jacket was possibly an assassin brought in from Italy (which happened in another episode) who got "Made in America" by killing Tony.

There is a long analysis on-line from a likely film student that breaks down the final scene with the only conclusion being the abrupt cut to black is what Tony sees when Meadow enters Holsten's. In the final scene, there is a deliberate pattern that repeats 4 or 5 times. The bell on the door rings; Tony looks up to see who it is; they show you who Tony sees; and then they cut back for Tony's reaction. In the final sequence, Meadow approaches the door; the bell rings and then a very abrupt cut to black. You are seeing what Tony sees (i.e., nothing). He's dead.

I have a friend who is a Sopranos fanatic. I live in Bucks County, but he has taken me on a Sopranos tour more than once in North Jersey. I have been to Tony's house, Patterson Falls, Satin Dolls (from the outside, honest) and Holsten's. Holsten's has no door bell and never did. Chase added it. He also added the backwall coverings of the orange tiger (a cinematic sign of impending danger), football references and the house that is eerily similar to the mansion in Tony's dream during his coma. The booth juke boxes were also added by Chase. Last, Tony's booth is directly out from the bathrooms. A clear kill shot unblocked by the late arriving Meadow.

Regarding being assassinated in front of your family, Tony broke that rule when he killed Phil Leotardo.

Chase is miserable and holds people in low regard. I think that Tony was always going to get his due in some manner.

Nah. For a show that never played games with what was going on to suddenly be so vague and figurative just doesn’t pass the smell test. Tony lives!

CF Lion

Oct 6, 2021
My theory is that Tony lives. Still lives. The last scene, Tony always looking up to see who was coming in the diner, is just a metaphor for his life. He’ll always have a swivel on his shoulder, always aware of his surroundings. He’ll never really be at peace.

I think the ending song gives this away. Don’t Stop Believin’. Hold on to those feelings. It goes on and on and on and on……

Quint526

Oct 29, 2021
Nah. For a show that never played games with what was going on to suddenly be so vague and figurative just doesn’t pass the smell test. Tony lives!
Too funny. That's my father-in-law's reaction. He is an old school Italian from NEPA who pretty clearly relates to and gets affirmation from Tony's machismo. I'll explain how deliberate Chase was in that final scene leading to a strong conclusion that Tony is dead. He responds, "Yeah...I think that he is still alive."

Quint526

Oct 29, 2021
My theory is that Tony lives. Still lives. The last scene, Tony always looking up to see who was coming in the diner, is just a metaphor for his life. He’ll always have a swivel on his shoulder, always aware of his surroundings. He’ll never really be at peace.

I think the ending song gives this away. Don’t Stop Believin’. Hold on to those feelings. It goes on and on and on and on……
That's a fair point. I have read that the song selection was Tony's feeling that he won and the imminent danger had passed. His guard was down. The potential shooter nervously eyeballed Tony twice, and Tony failed to take significant notice. It's art and subject to interpretation.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021

It would also be the most sadistic storytelling one could do. Spend years having Tony outsmart and outmaneuver his rivals and the law on his climb to the top only to have him die like a dog, in a diner, by a no-name hitman, in front of his family while Don’t Stop Believin’ is playing. Just no f’ing way. Tony is the hero of the show and Chase blinked instead of allowing Tony to bask in some well deserved glory. He doesn’t have the balls to say he lives and is grouchy that anyone has any opinion at all. So, if you think he lives you’re wrong, if you think he dies, also wrong. He’s alive the last time we see him. Good enough for me.

Quint526

Oct 29, 2021
It would also be the most sadistic storytelling one could do. Spend years having Tony outsmart and outmaneuver his rivals and the law on his climb to the top only to have him die like a dog, in a diner, by a no-name hitman, in front of his family while Don’t Stop Believin’ is playing. Just no f’ing way. Tony is the hero of the show and Chase blinked instead of allowing Tony to bask in some well deserved glory. He doesn’t have the balls to say he lives and is grouchy that anyone has any opinion at all. So, if you think he lives you’re wrong, if you think he dies, also wrong. He’s alive the last time we see him. Good enough for me.
Good stuff. I think that it comes down to how you view Tony. I love the show, but you are hard pressed to identify a redeemable character. At a minimum, they are all complicit in the ugliness of that violent predatory lifestyle. Chase does not like people, and life is cheap on that show. During the last season, Chase also reduced Tony to a sociopath that merely mimics human emotion to manipulate people. I respect your opinion (wow...that's an uncommon phrase on this board), but I really think that Chase wanted to kill his creation. He just chose to do it as an artist.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Good stuff. I think that it comes down to how you view Tony. I love the show, but you are hard pressed to identify a redeemable character. At a minimum, they are all complicit in the ugliness of that violent predatory lifestyle. Chase does not like people, and life is cheap on that show. During the last season, Chase also reduced Tony to a sociopath that merely mimics human emotion to manipulate people. I respect your opinion (wow...that's an uncommon phrase on this board), but I really think that Chase wanted to kill his creation. He just chose to do it as an artist.

It seems like he's the only one allowed to have an opinion on the matter and his opinion is 'Yeah, he dies. But does he?' LOL. Tony killing Christopher sort of zapped me of any empathy I had for Tony; it was so unnecessary and mean-spirited. I'm fine with whatever Tony's fate is but I don't believe he died in that diner.

Quint526

Oct 29, 2021
It seems like he's the only one allowed to have an opinion on the matter and his opinion is 'Yeah, he dies. But does he?' LOL. Tony killing Christopher sort of zapped me of any empathy I had for Tony; it was so unnecessary and mean-spirited. I'm fine with whatever Tony's fate is but I don't believe he died in that diner.
Agreed. Chase is an a-hole that gets incensed if you dare question him. I am on the opposite end. There is just too much foreshadowing and deliberate details to ignore that he likely got hit.

P.S. Long time lurker. Thanks for your ongoing efforts creating and managing the Polls.

JakkL

Oct 12, 2021
Cut to black was a simple way to kill Tony, but it left open the possibility doing a follow up movie in the future.

Reactions: Quint526

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Cut to black was a simple way to kill Tony, but it left open the possibility doing a follow up movie in the future.

Easier to say these days since Gandolfini has passed; if he were still around, I think instead of a prequel we get a sequel.

Reactions: ODShowtime