Jackson State Marching Band

PrtLng Lion

Oct 14, 2021
My back and knees hurt just watching them. Definitely bring a lot of energy to the game.

I wonder if Deion had anything to do with this.

Reactions: STPGopherfan

Mcidas

Nov 5, 2021
I live near Bowie State University and have been to several of their games.
Super cool halftime show along with entrance and exit march-in. (like this video)
There is also a lot of school pride shown -- not saying PSU doesn't, but BSU is a small school -- at the games along with a very knowledgeable spectators.

Nitwit

Oct 12, 2021
I love the Blue Band but I appreciate the tradition that the HBCU bring as well. They’re unique and so full of energy you just have to admire the amount of work and preparation they must put in to entertain their fans. This is just a whole different genre of marching band.

Bison13

Oct 13, 2021
I live near Bowie State University and have been to several of their games.
Super cool halftime show along with entrance and exit march-in. (like this video)
There is also a lot of school pride shown -- not saying PSU doesn't, but BSU is a small school -- at the games along with a very knowledgeable spectators.
Been there as well, great show. Same at Morgan in Baltimore

yeahtoasty

Oct 12, 2021
The HBCUs have developed their own unique and incredibly entertaining genre. That doesn't mean that everybody else should copy it. I enjoy all of the different styles.

My personal favorite marching style is neither the Blue Band-style, which is very traditional and rooted in the military origins of marching bands, NOR the HBCU's -- I like DCI-style drum and bugle corps. Here's an example of a show that I absolutely love from The Blue Coats. I have a son in the Blue Band, btw.

OuiRPSU

Oct 6, 2021
That’s fun to watch. Is there anything better than a college marching band drum line? Good stuff, but I do have to mention that I was bustin’ similar moves on the dance floor of the Gaff every Wednesday night in the mid-to-late 80s. Of course, mine were entirely accidental. And NOBODY wanted to see them.

STPGopherfan

Oct 31, 2021
My back and knees hurt just watching them. Definitely bring a lot of energy to the game.

I wonder if Deion had anything to do with this.
No! This has been going on for decades. Well maybe the marching into the stands, but HBCU's have always been known for there bands. Many of the bands out draw the teams.

Last edited:

Pocono Lion

Oct 7, 2021
The HBCUs have developed their own unique and incredibly entertaining genre. That doesn't mean that everybody else should copy it. I enjoy all of the different styles.

My personal favorite marching style is neither the Blue Band-style, which is very traditional and rooted in the military origins of marching bands, NOR the HBCU's -- I like DCI-style drum and bugle corps. Here's an example of a show that I absolutely love from The Blue Coats. I have a son in the Blue Band, btw.

I used to be a DCI guy, spent a summer with the Cadets (they were the Garfield Cadets at the time, to show how far back I go) but fell in love with the Big 10 style while in the Blue Band. Just my opinion, but I think DCI has really lost its way the past few years. I liked it better when the focus was on the music instead of the production.

Reactions: yeahtoasty

yeahtoasty

Oct 12, 2021
I used to be a DCI guy, spent a summer with the Cadets (they were the Garfield Cadets at the time, to show how far back I go) but fell in love with the Big 10 style while in the Blue Band. Just my opinion, but I think DCI has really lost its way the past few years. I liked it better when the focus was on the music instead of the product
Cool -- son is considering trying out for DCI next year, although I suspect he's more likely to seek an internship. Agreed that some of the recent changes haven't been for the better. In particular, I don't like the use of electronic instruments and pre-recorded segments.

Reactions: Pocono Lion