James Franklin

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
Been a supporter of Franklin since he got to Penn State, but after that dumpster fire Saturday, I've got one foot in the life boat!!
From what I'm hearing, you better get your life vest zipped up and prep for the storm.

TheBigUglies

Oct 26, 2021
If they don't have any confidence in putting a backup QB in and had to rely on Clifford, what happens when Clifford is no longer here. They have no one waiting in the wings that they have confidence in. Yeah, maybe you have a freshman coming in but, he would be a freshman with no college level playing experience. Unless the QB is of Trevor Lawrence caliber, we are screwed next year as well. I am guessing Yuricich will bolt after the season. The dark years are coming back if not already here.

Reactions: NL2017

LookSharp

Oct 25, 2021
If they don't have any confidence in putting a backup QB in and had to rely on Clifford, what happens when Clifford is no longer here. They have no one waiting in the wings that they have confidence in. Yeah, maybe you have a freshman coming in but, he would be a freshman with no college level playing experience. Unless the QB is of Trevor Lawrence caliber, we are screwed next year as well. I am guessing Yuricich will bolt after the season. The dark years are coming back if not already here.

Two words: Transfer Portal. There will be plenty of mercenary QBs out there, good enough to get us through a thin year. Same goes for defensive tackle.

Reactions: TheBigUglies

FrontierLion

Oct 12, 2021
I've been a big supporter of Coach Franklin since he was hired. I think he has great enthusiasm (when things are going well) and can relate to young kids. As it's been said 1,000's of times on the other board, I don't know if we'll ever get over the hump with him at the helm. But I don't know if we'll get over the hump with anyone. If Franklin leaves, where does that put us? "Rebuilding" years again? For how long? Most of what makes up the 2022 recruiting class is going to re-evaluate their commitment.

I think this entire problem stems from the offensive scheme we can't seem to get away from ... and that's due to Franklin. I'm convinced that offensive lineman are too confused as to run vs pass that they don't know how to block.

Think about this ... Penn State hasn't had what I call an "excellent" offensive line since Coach Franklin has been here. It always seems to be a point of weakness in our team. BUT - I don't necessarily put that on the players themselves. How many OL's have come through the system in his tenure? LOTS. All of them are highly recruited out of high school - meaning, they are good! They can PLAY. Why then, when they get to Penn State, do they all of a sudden become average or outright poor? We've been through various OC's, O-Line coaches, etc. but there is one constant ... James Franklin and his offensive scheme.

Fix the offense (not the players, but the design) and I think you fix a lot of the problem.

arr2

Oct 13, 2021
I wonder how much of this offense is Franklin's and how much is the new OC's. It doesnt look a whole lot different to me.

maddog317

Oct 12, 2021
I wonder how much of this offense is Franklin's and how much is the new OC's. It doesnt look a whole lot different to me.
im not going to blame the new oc...............my opinion hes the real deal, needs some time if he stays.only reason allure (spelling) is coming here maybe.fingers crossed

PAgeologist

Oct 19, 2021
I have seen some under center formations, so that's something different. Same old issues with a poor run blocking line though. Too much reliance on chunk plays still.

Clifford seemed to be playing well and distributing the ball well though.

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
Wallace has been awful at tackle and some pundits note he may be more suited to guard. Scruggs and Miranda swapped positions and that appears to have helped as Miranda was getting killed frequently. We don’t know how Wormley would have been but he was slated to start pre-injury. We can’t run because, as FrontierLion pointed out, the RPO appears to confuse the OL as to how they need to block. Many of the run plays come off this set. Perhaps if they know it’s a straight run that it would be better? We also have guys whiffing on too many blocks.

Oct 27, 2021
That Clifford was the best option when he shouldn't have even been in uniform is damning in my opinion.
NEXT MAN UP!!! Period. If Cliff is not 100% and can't do the job, bring in Roberson. If Roberson has a couple bad series, bring in Veilleux. You look at a team like Alabama -if you physically can't perform or if you just are not performing, you are out and it is the next man up. If we are not able to bring in other players to do the job, we have a serious issue. We would at least had a few shots down field as well as some potential positive yard plays rather than falling to the ground to avoid getting hit. I would rather lose with our 2 and 3 QB's getting some meaningful reps as opposed to our 1 QB playing hurt and basically of no help.

Reactions: dcf4psu