Jay P's best column to date, IMO

Feb 4, 2024
The vultures in both leagues are circling, waiting to see if any worthy teams escape the ACC

Those vulture nests aren't as comfortable as the ones in Old Main. But there's an empty one now that Wagman is out.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021

He's making a lot of assumptions/predictions IMO and I don't agree with all of them. I do like how he conveniently ignores the 'golden' era of college football where the NCAA, universities, and coaches had all the power and money and any change to that model is an assault. Sorry Jay - you (the NCAA, universities, power hungry coaches - including Joe) - did this to yourselves. Enjoy it.

PSUFTG2

Jul 1, 2023
He's making a lot of assumptions/predictions IMO and I don't agree with all of them. I do like how he conveniently ignores the 'golden' era of college football where the NCAA, universities, and coaches had all the power and money and any change to that model is an assault. Sorry Jay - you (the NCAA, universities, power hungry coaches - including Joe) - did this to yourselves. Enjoy it.
I don't think any (reasonable) informed person would not agree wrt "who did it".... in fact, he wrote this "At some point, presidents. administrators and other university leaders have to look themselves in the mirror and admit that none of us are clean in this anymore". But that wasn't the point of the article.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Oh, Mariko-sama is here to provide further translation:

‘The JayPa is upset he doesn’t have a cushy coaching job anymore.’

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
I don't think any (reasonable) informed person would not agree wrt "who did it".... but that wasn't the point of the article.

Sure it was (in part). It’s the Supreme Court assaulting our beloved sport! They are ruining it! Wah Wah….

fairgambit

Oct 12, 2021
With apologies to Ben Hecht and Margaret Michell....

There was a time of amateur athletes and storied traditions called the Golden Age of College Football. Here, in this magical era, the concept of student athlete took its last bow. Here was the last ever to be seen of nonprofessional athletes and their adoring cheerleaders, of principled coaches and devoted alums. Look for it only in books, for it is no more than a dream remembered, a noble institution gone with the wind.

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
I still say, f*ck NIL, f*ck excessive compensation and salaries. You’re a kid who hasn’t accomplished anything. Keep your head down, listen to your coaches and professors, and for f*ck’s sake, hit the damn books.

Ludd

Oct 12, 2021
Actually, it was the fans that did this to college football. The majority of fans didn’t want college athletics, they wanted winners (and they still do) regardless of how they got there.

EPC FAN

Oct 7, 2021
Not exactly. Joe always said players should get a stipend to be able to have dignity. He was laughed at by the pezzonovante of the NCAA. Had they listened to the guy with thick glasses this mess may have been avoided.

Bkmtnittany1

Oct 26, 2021
I still say, f*ck NIL, f*ck excessive compensation and salaries. You’re a kid who hasn’t accomplished anything. Keep your head down, listen to your coaches and professors, and for f*ck’s sake, hit the damn books.
When do they find time to hit The Phyrst and chase babes??

Reactions: step.eng69

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Not exactly. Joe always said players should get a stipend to be able to have dignity. He was laughed at by the pezzonovante of the NCAA. Had they listened to the guy with thick glasses this mess may have been avoided.

Joe also gleefully stopped kids from transferring when he had the power to do so - he wasn't always altruistic when it came to decisions about players unless he got some benefit. One well known story had him throwing the transfer papers in the air declaring said player would never transfer.

fairgambit

Oct 12, 2021
What a waste. Jaypa column. lol. Go get a damn job and Make a career on your own Merits.
I think he has largely done that. He would be foolish not to capitalize on the Paterno name as millions of other children of successful parents have done. That said, Jay is intelligent, personable, and well spoken. His success has been earned, not handed to him.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Actually, it was the fans that did this to college football. The majority of fans didn’t want college athletics, they wanted winners (and they still do) regardless of how they got there.

Sorry, it's not the fans - it's the NCAA who died on their hill of 'amateur' athletics when everyone was making money but the players, and dipsh*t coaches like Dabo who said he'd find another job before he coached paid players. We know the reason for that now - Clemson can't compete in a pay for play landscape and he knew it. Fans on this board are happy with 10 win seasons (which as far as I know, do not get you a trophy of any kind) and pack the stadium to watch it. Fans contributed to very little here IMO....

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021

But okay to pay coaches $80mm?????

Reactions: Mrs516

LBUfanatic

Nov 1, 2021
I think he has largely done that. He would be foolish not to capitalize on the Paterno name as millions of other children of successful parents have done. That said, Jay is intelligent, personable, and well spoken. His success has been earned, not handed to him.
Ok. I’ll bite…other than being a co-offensive coordinator gratis of his father, what job has he found? The article linked by the OP is published by Startecollege.com. With all due respect to Jay and his family, my daughter, who is a junior at PSU, has had an article published by the same outlet. Color me unimpressed by a 50-something old who has absolutely lived off of his father’s name. I would say “capitalized” off of his father’s name, but I honestly don’t believe anything Jay has done is worthy of compensation.

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
Ok. I’ll bite…other than being a co-offensive coordinator gratis of his father, what job has he found? The article linked by the OP is published by Startecollege.com. With all due respect to Jay and his family, my daughter, who is a junior at PSU, has had an article published by the same outlet. Color me unimpressed by a 50-something old who has absolutely lived off of his father’s name. I would say “capitalized” off of his father’s name, but I honestly don’t believe anything Jay has done is worthy of compensation.
Not a Jay fan but a few of his offenses were far better than anything we saw last year. 🤷‍♂️

fairgambit

Oct 12, 2021
Among many other things, he's written a couple of books; created a popular syndicated TV show; lectured at classes at our Smeal, Pitt's Katz, Southern Cal, UMass, and a few others; co-founded a NIL collective; serves on a number of Boards, including the Mt. Nittany Conservancy and our own BOT; in 2022 he was the Executive Producer of "THON: 50 Years For The Kids" which was rated #1 in its primetime slot in Philly and New York City; spoken and written extensively ......I could go on but to what purpose? Some people don't like him and that's fine, but to suggest that he's done nothing but ride his dad's coattails is disingenuous. I have never met the man and am not a fan of his politics, but people that I respect (attorneys and others) who have met him, or heard him speak have been impressed. That said, I am headed out of town and will be off the board for a few days. Happy Mother's Day to all the living moms and may God grant eternal rest to all those who have passed.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Not a Jay fan but a few of his offenses were far better than anything we saw last year. 🤷‍♂️
2. 2005 and 2008 with dynamic, athletic QBs. The rest of his time as OC was meh. I always wished they would have let Galen be more involved. Jay was an utter disaster as recruiting coordinator.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Joe also gleefully stopped kids from transferring when he had the power to do so - he wasn't always altruistic when it came to decisions about players unless he got some benefit. One well known story had him throwing the transfer papers in the air declaring said player would never transfer.
Wasn’t he also against letting freshman play?

TiogaLion

Oct 31, 2021
Which player was this story about? Assuming this happened, do you think that player is better off today because off the incident? If not, why?

Did your father ever restrict something that at the time you believed was ridiculous and unfair only to actually grow-up and realize how right he was?

Reactions: Jaydmil

TiogaLion

Oct 31, 2021
Sorry, it's not the fans - it's the NCAA who died on their hill of 'amateur' athletics when everyone was making money but the players, and dipsh*t coaches like Dabo who said he'd find another job before he coached paid players. We know the reason for that now - Clemson can't compete in a pay for play landscape and he knew it. Fans on this board are happy with 10 win seasons (which as far as I know, do not get you a trophy of any kind) and pack the stadium to watch it. Fans contributed to very little here IMO....
The President's council sets the rules and the NCAA is supposed to enforce those rules.

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
To his detriment.
Towards the tail end he loosened a little bit but you have to wonder now how much more could have dominated in the 80’s and 90’s had eased up sooner. The man did have his virtues so it’s hard knock that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Midnighter

Bob78

Oct 12, 2021
To his detriment.
Joe thought it was best for freshmen to be well acclimated to the whole package of expectations around playing at a high level, but from the first year freshmen were made eligible (1974?), freshmen played, including some in starting roles. Others played many snaps as backups or rotational players, and many contributed on special teams. More than just their athletic ability went into the decision - they had to understand the concepts, their roles, what was expected on and off the field, etc. Some were more mentally mature than others, and made the transition more quickly.

OaktonDave

Oct 12, 2021
I think he nailed it here:

"And in its current form, college football is an ethical threat to the academic mission of universities around the country."
I agree as it applies to P5 college football, but not college football overall. If you look at G5 level football and below, it's not that much different than other college sports programs like baseball, softball, soccer, etc. You don't have networks offering megabucks to televise the games and, while the gate revenue can be good, it's not close to what P5 schools see. I suspect that the percentage of athletes expecting to play professionally is also lower, which would also change the overall culture around the program as would the fact that they don't pay coaches 7 figure salaries. What you end up with is something far less inconsistent with the schools' educational mission.

Last edited:

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Joe thought it was best for freshmen to be well acclimated to the whole package of expectations around playing at a high level, but from the first year freshmen were made eligible (1974?), freshmen played, including some in starting roles. Others played many snaps as backups or rotational players, and many contributed on special teams. More than just their athletic ability went into the decision - they had to understand the concepts, their roles, what was expected on and off the field, etc. Some were more mentally mature than others, and made the transition more quickly.

Lavar Arrington sat behind Aaron Gatten. Arrington was an All American the two years he started and won the Butkus. He should have never sat as a FR.

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
Lavar Arrington sat behind Aaron Gatten. Arrington was an All American the two years he stared and won the Butkus.
But did he really? I mean maybe he wasn’t listed as the starter but I remeber him playing a lot🤷‍♂️

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
The President's council sets the rules and the NCAA is supposed to enforce those rules.

Right - greedy, stupid schools . They’re on the hook too.
When the first lawsuits were brought against the NCAA on the basis of antitrust, almost anyone with half a brain, including quite a few college presidents, could see they were on the wrong side.. Approaches were made by opposing counsel to settle for concessions that would have largely preserved the extant regime. But, no, the NCAA, on the urging of Little Donnie Remy, would have none of that. And here we are today.

Bob78

Oct 12, 2021
But did he really? I mean maybe he wasn’t listed as the starter but I remeber him playing a lot🤷‍♂️
Yes, he played a lot. Gatten was very good, not Lavar good, but understood the position and concepts, etc. Lavar was his own worst enemy for a while as a freshman... in practice, he didn't always know (or care?) where to line up, and improvised and was out of position too often, which messed up what the defense was trying to do. If he was sloppy in practice, he wasn't going to play and risk the samein a game. Putting him behind Gatten sent a good message and Lavar learned from it.
Lavar wasn't the only talented freshman who had to grow up a bit when they got here. And they all knew coming in that nothing was going to be given to them. Once he understood the overall a little better, he became who we all (fans and coaches) expected him to be.