Just Imagine if we had Vic rolling with Jessica Carter, Madison Booker and Rickea Jackson

AnchorState

Jan 21, 2020
Serious question: Can someone finally tell me what actually happened with Vic leaving? And what John and Nelle Cohen had to do with it?

I’ve only seen the veiled statements on here over the years. (I live far from Vegas now and don’t get as much gossip as I used to.)

Reactions: olblue

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
The story is the Vic wanted to move his family back to Texas so they could be close to his deceased parents' cemetery. And since nobody buys that, the rumor is the Cohens who are rumored to be atheists told him to tone down the "Praise The Lord and Go Dogs" or hit the road.
I don't believe any of that on either scenario. But I do find it very odd that Vic was in the middle of building a very nice home on a very nice estate in the Starkville micropolitan area and out if the blue not only gets a huge offer from Texas ( not A&M, his supposed dream job), but just walks away from this new home build.
Or, and this is the rumor many of our crazy fans love, he took his family and high-tailed it to Texas to separate Blair from The Red-headed Aussie! All Rumors and absolutely no proof that any of this gossip is true.

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
But to the OP's point about that group of players being together under Vic, I would be very surprised. Carter takes too many plays off and Vic wouldn't put up with that. Rickea was too selfish a player where she was here but that might have been a coaching problem.

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
But to the OP's point about that group of players being together under Vic, I would be very surprised. Carter takes too many plays off and Vic wouldn't put up with that. Rickea was too selfish a player where she was here but that might have been a coaching problem.
I dont think rickea would have lasted. She doesn't do defense.

Reactions: knock him out john

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
The story is the Vic wanted to move his family back to Texas so they could be close to his deceased parents' cemetery. And since nobody buys that, the rumor is the Cohens who are rumored to be atheists told him to tone down the "Praise The Lord and Go Dogs" or hit the road.
I don't believe any of that on either scenario. But I do find it very odd that Vic was in the middle of building a very nice home on a very nice estate in the Starkville micropolitan area and out if the blue not only gets a huge offer from Texas ( not A&M, his supposed dream job), but just walks away from this new home build.
Or, and this is the rumor many of our crazy fans love, he took his family and high-tailed it to Texas to separate Blair from The Red-headed Aussie! All Rumors and absolutely no proof that any of this gossip is true.
Isn’t cohen Jewish?

I think like most things, the simplest explanation is usually the correct one… and in this case, he just got offered a job a place with more resources and easier to win. In any sport, if Texas wants a coach from Mississippi State, they will probably get that coach. Baseball would be the only potential for exception. I don’t know why it has to be a screw up from the AD for Mississippi state to lose a coach to somewhere like Texas.

Reactions: olblue and AROB44

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
There are reasons, reasons, and (((reasons))) that some of our fans don't like John Cohen, so they'll contrive any excuse to bash him.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I blame Keenum. If there was a personality conflict between the two, he should have stepped in. Much like ESPN did when Pat Mcafee publicly trashed on of his bosses, top leadership sided with Pat because he is more important to the organization than his boss.

At the time there were rumors that there was an inappropriate relationship going on.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
it's always sunny tennis GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
And Vic still has his home here. He comes back pretty regularly. He genuinely likes it here.

bully12

Sep 2, 2012
Relating to SEC women's basketball, UK just hired Kenny Brooks from Virginia Tech. And that is going to be more bad news for the rest of the SEC. That guy can flat out coach and recruit. UK just got relevant again in the SEC in women's basketball.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
It's been covered a million times but I just call it Scissor Gate. You can't have a staff member grinding with a player. Cohen handled it poorly. Vic got pissed off and out to Texas he went. Vic also wanted some things and Cohen baseballed it up like every other sport under him and wouldn't do squat. John Cohen was an idiot.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
It's been covered a million times but I just call it Scissor Gate. You can't have a staff member grinding with a player. Cohen handled it poorly. Vic got pissed off and out to Texas he went. Vic also wanted some things and Cohen baseballed it up like every other sport under him and wouldn't do squat. John Cohen was an idiot.
If the rumors about the relationship are true, Cohen's hands were tied. It would have been a Title IX issue (federal law).

Barkman Turner Overdrive

May 28, 2006
the rumor is the Cohens who are rumored to be atheists told him to tone down the "Praise The Lord and Go Dogs" or hit the road.

Isn’t cohen Jewish?
Both of those statements can be true. Being “Jewish” is more tribal than being religiously Jewish. For example all of the atheistic Jews of Hollywood have absolutely no problem taking a dump on your religion if it means greater viewership and/or money.

Anon1668191032

Nov 11, 2022
Not just Carter and Rickea, Jayla Hemingway (WVU), Madison Hayes (NCSU), Matharu at UF, and Mingo Young at Auburn - would all be seniors and here in Theroy. Gaston the 6 player at Texas was signed here. They might have been involved in recruiting Cardozzo as well who wound up at Syracuse. Getting Madison Hayes was supposed to give us a leg up with Cardozzo and another player from Holston Heights. The future was bright although I feel like Vic new that there were some in that group that would be a handful. MSU lost at home to Bama late in the season, the team just seemed a bit off.

Texas has a lot of money and was building a new Basketball Palace. I thought they were giving Vic grief about hiring Blair - MSU has pretty strict polices about that. I know children of Professors cannot work for them.

Reactions: Leeshouldveflanked

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Both of those statements can be true. Being “Jewish” is more tribal than being religiously Jewish. For example all of the atheistic Jews of Hollywood have absolutely no problem taking a dump on your religion if it means greater viewership and/or money.
Do you think cohen is really an atheist? And if he is, why would that matter for being an AD? I think it’s highly likely that our fanbase largely is not a fan of how liberal cohen is, especially cohen’s wife… so as a result stuff like this gets spread around. Truth is, cohen was an average AD until NIL came around. He definitely had his head buried in the sand with that for sure. But cohen being liberal had no impact on his job performance and even if cohen is an atheist, it has no impact on his job performance.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
Do you think cohen is really an atheist? And if he is, why would that matter for being an AD? I think it’s highly likely that our fanbase largely is not a fan of how liberal cohen is, especially cohen’s wife… so as a result stuff like this gets spread around. Truth is, cohen was an average AD until NIL came around. He definitely had his head buried in the sand with that for sure. But cohen being liberal had no impact on his job performance and even if cohen is an atheist, it has no impact on his job performance.

I think a lot of our fans just don't live in the real world. Half the country is Republican/leaning and half is Democratic/leaning. Yeah yeah, Mississippi is a "red state" which means it's 60-40 Republican instead of 50-50. Why would anyone find it strange for an athletic director, coach, etc., to be a Democrat in the first place? Even in an area where there are more Republicans, there are still going to be a lot of Democrats. (The opposite is true in other states, and I would say the same thing to someone who was all hot and bothered over someone from California being a Republican.)

Do our fans who get all worked up over Cohen's supposed politics not realize that any time they go out in the real world and interact with people, close to half (maybe more like 1/4 if they live in certain rural counties, but half or more in the Jackson area, or Starkville) are going to be Democratic or leaning in that direction? We all know the country is divided - why is it so unfathomable to people when they get an example of that?

Reactions: olblue

Anon1664516582

Sep 30, 2022
I blame Keenum. If there was a personality conflict between the two, he should have stepped in. Much like ESPN did when Pat Mcafee publicly trashed on of his bosses, top leadership sided with Pat because he is more important to the organization than his boss.

At the time there were rumors that there was an inappropriate relationship going on.
Keenum is weak as water…

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
Not really. Were talking about a grad asst who played on the team and it was going on then.
No other big time school would have lost a NC caliber coach over something like this, NONE. Just do what you need to do to keep it hushed up and move on. Fact is, Cohen and Vic didn't mesh well and Cohen didn't give 2 toots about WBB so Vic left when he got a good opportunity to go back to Texas. If he had been treated well and taken care of I don't think he would have left though. No other school cuts its nose off to spite its face better than State. There are MANY ways Cohen was not a good AD for us and this is just one of them. I really don't know what Auburn saw in him but I'm glad he moved on. I liked him as our head baseball coach but not as AD. And I agree Keenum didn't help things.

olblue

Mar 11, 2018
Isn’t cohen Jewish?

I think like most things, the simplest explanation is usually the correct one… and in this case, he just got offered a job a place with more resources and easier to win. In any sport, if Texas wants a coach from Mississippi State, they will probably get that coach. Baseball would be the only potential for exception. I don’t know why it has to be a screw up from the AD for Mississippi state to lose a coach to somewhere like Texas.
Agendas have a tendency to shrink the capacity of the mind.

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
Not really. Were talking about a grad asst who played on the team and it was going on then.
In Vic's last year the only players who were on staff who fit that were Dominique Dillingham & Ketara Chapel. both of whom joined Vic & Blair at Texas. Wouldn't that shoot down any theory that Vic moved to separate his daughter from that alleged situation?

Reactions: BulldogBlitz
Oct 17, 2023
No other big time school would have lost a NC caliber coach over something like this, NONE. Just do what you need to do to keep it hushed up and move on. Fact is, Cohen and Vic didn't mesh well and Cohen didn't give 2 toots about WBB so Vic left when he got a good opportunity to go back to Texas. If he had been treated well and taken care of I don't think he would have left though. No other school cuts its nose off to spite its face better than State. There are MANY ways Cohen was not a good AD for us and this is just one of them. I really don't know what Auburn saw in him but I'm glad he moved on. I liked him as our head baseball coach but not as AD. And I agree Keenum didn't help things.
That's where we differ, I didn't even like him as a baseball coach.