Live updates from Cael Sanderson's weekly news conference

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
On schedule including lots of off time early: We're just excited to compete and we want to use competition as our greatest tool to improve. It gives us a good amount of time between matches to prepare for the next match. With it being this time of year, we like the way the setup is. We've had almost two weeks off as we head into this next weekend. We got a lot of exciting things on the horizon, and then we get back to work and we're in Florida wrestling some great matches. We have a lot to look forward to.

Reactions: Antaeus

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Do younger guys go home with specific goals during breaks: I think it just depends on the individual. We have confidence in our guys. They know what they want to do. We have a lot of confidence and trust in our wrestlers and that they're going to take care of themselves over the break. We value our wrestlers having time with their families over Christmas. Spending Thanksgiving with your family or just taking that time is important. Wrestling is important too. I think our guys had a great break. It was a good reset and now we hope we can get rolling again here on Friday.

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Satisfied with bonus point wrestling so far? I think our guys are doing well, I think we'll get better every match. That's what we always plan on doing individually, as a team, and if we want to be in title contention and all that good stuff by March, it has to be part of the process. I think we get a lot better when we actually start competing and this year should be no different.

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
On competitiveness of B1G: There's usually a lot of great wrestling in the conference, several teams that have chances to win the conference or national tournament. It's exciting. A lot of great teams and individuals. That's why we do this, to compete against the best competition that we can find. There are some great teams outside of the Big Ten, and coaches and individuals, but it's fun to be in a conference where multiple teams are working hard and have the support and things they need to be successful.

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
On wrestling ranked guys this weekend at 157 and the PSU plan there: I think at this point, Terrell earned that spot. He's only wrestled one match. We have a lot of confidence in him. He's going to work hard and be competitive. He got caught underneath and wasn't able to get away and got turned. Blummer is probably a 41 pounder. He's wrestling 49 this year because we got Lee at 41. He filled in at 57 for us originally. Terrell was sick. As everyone knows the flu has been going around. Blummer did a good job of filling in for us up two weights. We love Blummer but hope we don't see him at 57 again. It's not his weight class. But we love Terrell and got some other guys who will probably compete. Terrell will surprise some people. He'll be competitive, just give him some time.

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
On Greg Kerkvliet: Greg is a competitor, and last year, he got cleared hours before he stepped into the lineup, and that shows he wants to compete. He's one of those guys that, every match, he wants to get better. He likes to work on technique and different positions. We've seen him working on top. He's great on his feet and has a lot of experience there. We want to go into these matches with the mindset that we want to practice competing the way we want to compete at the end. Consistency is key, but everyone wants to win. More importantly, we're trying to improve and do the little things, competing with the enthusiasm and the mentality that we're going to get better every match, and I think Greg is an example of that. He has some good matches this weekend, as does everyone.

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
On past wrestlers being on coaching staffs: To see them get picked up and put on top-level staffs right away; both of those guys have kids their age still competing this season, and they're on college staffs. That's a good thing, and I'm glad as a staff we didn't show them everything we know (tongue in cheek). We have a couple tricks up our sleeves still. If that's what our kids' goals are, we want them to be able to pursue their dreams and their goals, not just in their careers and in wrestling but post-competition.

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
On if team will do anything else in Philly besides wrestling: It is, we do kind of just go take care of business. Maybe that's something we should think about as a staff, is trying to enjoy the trip a little bit more, but a lot of these guys are ornery and they have homework and our managing their weight so I'm not sure they'd want us to take them around on a tour but it is special. You're driving by all sorts of things that you've only read about. I think that's a special part of being in school on this side of the country. But, we're more about just business. I would tell the guys that if they want to go on vacation to do that in the summer.

Reactions: Jfk474 and Antaeus

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
On how important the T-Giving break was to reset: It's important. Everything is perspective. You need to have the big picture in mind. We love wrestling. A lot of our kids didn't go home, they would just go home with kids who live in the area. Spending time with your family when you can is an important thing. Just like this next month, when these guys head home for Christmas break, we want to giver them as much time off as we can. We trust these guys. Some kids are going to work out more than others, but it's worth them being able to get home and spend the holidays with their families. We look forward to these times and even if it's an afternoon or a day, just keeping life normal, I think that stuff is all valuable.

Reactions: Fishhog and Antaeus
Oct 31, 2021
Thank you Greg for covering this. Much appreciated . The Hildebrandt answer is worded very carefully. -I don t think we are allowed to discuss ….” at this time”.
Looking fwd to Penn, Lehigh. Let s Go.
Also , 157 answer Terrel s earned it . Coming off an illness, difficult match. He ll surprise people etc. I like TB and agree. But need to know Joe s status is he healthy and Wght descent ok? Cael did mention “2” other guys competing for the spot? A lot we don t know here . Not saying we deserve to know but this is not the whole story imo. Interested to c how it all plays out and will support whoever our guy is. Sounds like TB vs Penn and Lehigh ! Let s Go TB!
Side note: Hartman - Army who beat TB lost to Kaleb Young last nite 4-1 in Iowa City. Ybarra beat Chauvin in SV. Shunk beat him 8-4. Ogunsanya beat Murin s back up. Cass won by fall. No Kem last nite. Just noting results . Not implying anything long term or transitive properties.
Let s Go!!!!
Penn , Lehigh ………..!!!!!!!

Reactions: crockster
Oct 31, 2021
The only 2 guys I can think of competing for 157 would be the Lee brothers. Who else?
Crock, I listened again. Cael says something along the lines of - paraphrasing - they ll be some other guys competing for that spot as well. Don t know where I got 2 ? Probably thinking whose available to compete at 157. Yes Joe. Matt wrestled 165 at the Bearcat Open where he beat Ramirez. So Wght? Key is what s up w Joe. I respect his privacy so will stop asking that ? . Gotta respect the kid s privacy. Big fan of the Lee family ! Hoosier Lion would let us know . Also think Claw is a great kid w high upside. We should support and have all their backs! Gonna root for whoever wrestles at 157! Looks like Claw this w end! So let s all get behind TB! I ll trust Cael w this. He doesn’t need me asking the same ? over and over. They don t need to or owe us to discuss anything publicly and smart not to. Like w DH. I m gonna enjoy the wresting and trust the process! We have a great young team! I have faith in them! Enjoy!
Let s go!!!!! Penn then Lehigh!!!!
We are……….

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
Thank you Greg for covering this. Much appreciated . The Hildebrandt answer is worded very carefully. -I don t think we are allowed to discuss ….” at this time”.
Looking fwd to Penn, Lehigh. Let s Go.

Students usually/often show up in the PSU directory before they are actually enrolled or taking classes. Don’t know the rules around coaches commenting on transfers, or it could simply just Cael being Cael.

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Students usually/often show up in the PSU directory before they are actually enrolled or taking classes. Don’t know the rules around coaches commenting on transfers, or it could simply just Cael being Cael.
Could be. They do have to be enrolled though for him to discuss. So, even if everything but one piece of paperwork is in, he could not. That said, felt like I had to ask knowing the worst that could come of it was the answer he ended up giving.

nerfstate

Oct 11, 2021
It could easily also be that "World Campus" doesn't qualify as enrolled for this. Especially if DH is trying to pick up some credits to get into the grad school of his choosing. #patience

Reactions: LI Lion Bvdstf
Oct 31, 2021
It could easily also be that "World Campus" doesn't qualify as enrolled for this. Especially if DH is trying to pick up some credits to get into the grad school of his choosing. #patience
Nerf, Yes! Hmmm. That makes sense. Yes patience is the right word.