Long suffering Duquesne basketball fans rejoice! You are going dancing!!

Mrdibbs

Oct 12, 2021
I grew up a Duquesne basketball fan. Remember games at the old Civic Arena.

Sometime in the mid 70s, Duquesne started to struggle. Lost the good local Western PA players to Pitt and really lost their identity. Of course, there are not that many D1 quality players from this region anymore.

It's been a struggle for them. To their credit, they beat Dayton and VCU who I believe were the best teams in the A10 to win the conference slot in the NCAA tournament.

Congrats, Dukes.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
I grew up a Duquesne basketball fan. Remember games at the old Civic Arena.

Sometime in the mid 70s, Duquesne started to struggle. Lost the good local Western PA players to Pitt and really lost their identity. Of course, there are not that many D1 quality players from this region anymore.

It's been a struggle for them. To their credit, they beat Dayton and VCU who I believe were the best teams in the A10 to win the conference slot in the NCAA tournament.

Congrats, Dukes.
You remember the twins? I forget their names.

Barry and Garry Nelson. I did not have to Google, yay me.

Mrdibbs

Oct 12, 2021
I cannot imagine the uproar in Oakland if the Pitters don't get into the tournament (I actually would be surprised if they got left out).

Pitt has ruled Pittsburgh College hoops for those aforementioned 47 years.

Especially if Duquesne's winning the A10 tournament occupies one of the spots in the bracket that could have gone to Pitt.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
I cannot imagine the uproar in Oakland if the Pitters don't get into the tournament (I actually would be surprised if they got left out).

Especially if Duquesne's winning the A10 tournament occupies one of the spots in the bracket that could have gone to Pitt.
We'll see about Pitt. I'm not anywhere up to speed on the "good" teams and Houston didn't help. For some reason I believe I would be very disappointed if Indiana State is left out, Lunardi has them as last four out, shucks. Agree about Pitt, and there is no way both Pitt and ISU get in, can't see that happening.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
It is ironic that Duquesne was named host school for the Tournament in Pittsburgh and they will be playing in Omaha.
Creighton at #3 is the top seed in Pittsburgh. They get Akron. So Carolina plays Oregon in the other first round game.

1995PSUGrad

Oct 30, 2021

Why would you be surprised if Pitt didn't get in? They are a pretty average team in a relatively weak conference. They hadn't been predicted to get in for months now.

TomPsu32

Dec 12, 2021
Don't forget Dukes best player, Mickey Davis from Monaca played 1 year in ABA, then 7 years in NBA with Jabbar and the Big O

Reactions: fairgambit

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Norm Nixon might disagree.
Didn’t he play for St. Francis? No. There was some other NBA player with a decent career who played for St. Francis. I’m waiting for his name to pop into my head.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
norm Van Leer
Stormin' Norman Van Lier. Played with Simmie Hill on Midland's 1965 PIAA AAA championship, even though Midland was only a class A school (PIAA had three basketball groupings in those years). Crushed Steelton-Highspire 90-61 in the championship game. Ironically, Midland was coached by Hank Kuzma (not to be confused with Bob "No Talent" Kudzma), a Steel-Hi grad.

Mrdibbs

Oct 12, 2021
My son texted earlier that he can't remember filling out an NCAA bracket without a team from Philly. I replied that Duquesne is representing the Commonwealth.

Gritty, gritty performance by the Dukes who built a lead in the first half and BYU closed the deficit. Last 5 minutes was a gut check with Duquesne making nearly all their foul shots down the stretch.

Congratulations!

Latest posts