Louisville Hoops job

Bkmtnittany1

Oct 26, 2021
Cards looking for a new bball coach. Kenny Payne gets canned. However, do not shed a tear. He gets $8 million to not show up for work! Dude goes 12-54 in 2 years and gets $8 million to go away… I am getting one of these gigs in my next life!

Reactions: Bison13

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Cards looking for a new bball coach. Kenny Payne gets canned. However, do not shed a tear. He gets $8 million to not show up for work! Dude goes 12-54 in 2 years and gets $8 million to go away… I am getting one of these gigs in my next life!

imagine getting paid $8M a year to smoke your meat, and just plain have fun. :ROFLMAO:

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Louisville’s crashing has been more spectacular than Georgetown’s.

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
I feel for Kenny Payne a bit. He got drafted by the Sixers in 1989, and there was scuttlebutt he would be the next Dr. J. Did not happen, but the pressure around him was tremedous to try to fill Doc's shoes (even though Doc retired two years earlier).

He was on the 1986 Louisville team with Milt Wagner, Billy Thompson and Kevin Walls - all from Camden, NJ. I would see him and these guys at some South Jersey restaurants in Cherry Hill, when Payne was with the Sixers and they were working out in the summer together (not Walls, who was suffering from serious illness if I recall). He was a nice guy when I met him.

Not sure he ever really had a chance at Louisville, but they probably would not have done better with someone else either.

Reactions: SnydLion

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
I feel for Kenny Payne a bit. He got drafted by the Sixers in 1989, and there was scuttlebutt he would be the next Dr. J. Did not happen, but the pressure around him was tremedous to try to fill Doc's shoes (even though Doc retired two years earlier).

He was on the 1986 Louisville team with Milt Wagner, Billy Thompson and Kevin Walls - all from Camden, NJ. I would see him and these guys at some South Jersey restaurants in Cherry Hill, when Payne was with the Sixers and they were working out in the summer together (not Walls, who was suffering from serious illness if I recall). He was a nice guy when I met him.

Not sure he ever really had a chance at Louisville, but they probably would not have done better with someone else either.
Billy Thompson, now there’s a player.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
I agree with you about Louisville/Pitino.

As for the Hoyas, I don't have a lot of sympathy for them.
I, on the other hand, have a ton of sympathy for any team I root for. How else to explain my consistently finishing Dead Last in the tournament pools?

• Haha
Reactions: Tom McAndrew

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
Billy Thompson, now there’s a player.
I played in a pick up game against him, Wagner and Billy Culbertson (whom, if I recall played at Pitt and South Carolina). All I saw was the bottom of their sneakers as they jumped over my head. :(

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
I played in a pick up game against him, Wagner and Billy Culbertson (whom, if I recall played at Pitt and South Carolina). All I saw was the bottom of their sneakers as they jumped over my head. :(
Dale Ellis for me.

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
I had Hoya season tickets from Ewing’s last year to Mourning’s first year. It hurts to see them this way.
On a local level i recall when all the Big 5 hoops teams were formidable. i still remember Dee Lyman running to hug her father after Jimmy coached St Joes to a win over a talented DePaul team led by Rey Meyer.

Reactions: LionJim

Bkmtnittany1

Oct 26, 2021
On a local level i recall when all the Big 5 hoops teams were formidable. i still remember Dee Lyman running to hug her father after Jimmy coached St Joes to a win over a talented DePaul team led by Rey Meyer.
Did Al Meltzer have the game on Ch 17???

Bison13

Oct 13, 2021
This seems like the perfect place for huggy bear to get back in the game. Basketball crazed state with talent and plenty of distilleries for him to enjoy the after game scene. He could probably work in a designated driver and his contract.

Reactions: BobPSU92

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
This seems like the perfect place for huggy bear to get back in the game. Basketball crazed state with talent and plenty of distilleries for him to enjoy the after game scene. He could probably work in a designated driver and his contract.
With all those distilleries he would need one.

Reactions: Bison13