Lowest winter Olympics ratings...ever

USCBatgirl21

Joined Sep 5, 2006
Jan 31, 2022
I usually watch the Olympics, but I'll admit, I didn't this year. It felt like there was barely any promotion. Also, it's hard for me to get into stuff when I already know the results before the broadcast airs. I do hate I missed Shaun White's last run though. I should have watched that.
And yeah...maybe it's partly because of the host country too.

Gamekem

Joined Apr 3, 2019
Feb 1, 2022
The Olympics viewership in the US has been steadily declining. The Summer Olympics in Tokyo didn't do to well either. I doubt it has much to do with politics as you imply but more so to do with how it's broadcast.

For one, the timezones make it difficult for many Americans to watch it live. As USCbatgirl noted, by the time you wake up with the internet and sports networks you already know who won the event and can already see highlights of it produced on YouTube or Twitter.

Then you add to it that NBC aired much of the live programming uninterrupted on Peacock so people had to pay to watch in ideal circumstances. Then when you consider that we're not as dominant in the winter sports and events like women's figure skating that used to be a huge draw we have no real medal contenders in the event, it's not remotely shocking that the views are down. Thankfully after 3 straight Olympics in Asia the next 3 are in Europe/US so that should timing shouldn't be as bad

Reactions: USCBatgirl21

Harvard Gamecock

Jan 20, 2022
I usually watch the Olympics, but I'll admit, I didn't this year. It felt like there was barely any promotion. Also, it's hard for me to get into stuff when I already know the results before the broadcast airs. I do hate I missed Shaun White's last run though. I should have watched that.
And yeah...maybe it's partly because of the host country too.
This was the main deterrent for me and my wife. It's difficult to get engaged when you already know the outcome, particularly if the outcome is not the desired one you were hoping for.

capngamecock

Joined Apr 11, 2019
Jan 26, 2022
Good. This is the least I've ever paid attention to the Olympics. Used to love them. I bet I watched a total of 5-10 minutes, and that was just when I was at restaurants and it was on TV. China f's up the entire world and we reward them with the Olympics. Scary where this world is going.

ToddFlanders

Jan 20, 2022
As others have mentioned, it’s tough to watch the Olympics when they’re in Asia. There really is no “must see tv” where everyone would gather around the tv to see an event in the middle of the night. (And I have done that when the World Cup was in South Korea.)

It’s just another victim of the internet. There won’t be another Olympics in Asia for at least the next decade, so we’ll see if things pick up when people can watch live.

Dod Rangerfield

Jan 30, 2022
As others have mentioned, it’s tough to watch the Olympics when they’re in Asia. There really is no “must see tv” where everyone would gather around the tv to see an event in the middle of the night. (And I have done that when the World Cup was in South Korea.)

It’s just another victim of the internet. There won’t be another Olympics in Asia for at least the next decade, so we’ll see if things pick up when people can watch live.
Screw Asia.

Reactions: Horseshoe04

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
Me being the maverick, I have zero interest in medal count by country. Would be quite content with human interest stories on the athletes, and no politics at all.

With IPTV, one can see how other nations broadcast Olympic events as well.

Uscg1984

Jan 28, 2022
I usually find the winter Olympics more interesting than the summer games, partly because it's more exciting to win as an underdog (as the USA often is in the winter games). But I didn't watch one minute of these games. In addition to the genocidal tendencies of the host country, there were a lot of other factors that made these games less compelling. The time differential, the lack of fans, the fact that athletes could go into quarantine with a positive test merely hours before their event, and the corrupt nature of the IOC made it all feel like the "exhibition games" rather than "the show." I'm happy for the Americans that won medals and I hope they gave it all they had and got some semblance of the usual Olympic experience, but as a fan event, these games just felt like background music to me: I was vaguely aware it was going on, but I didn't care enough to tune in.

Psycock

Joined Jan 20, 2001
Jan 29, 2022
Good! I didn`t watch one minute of the Genocide games. Feel sorry for the athletics, but not for the unethical IOC, NBC, Coca-Cola and others who hypocrites who will sell their sole for a dollar. Speaking of that, I avoid the NBA, in part for their lust relationship with China while amny affiliated with them have bashed this country. So now that the administration is bashing Russia(a bit late, huh?) are they still going to cozy up to China? I believe we know the answer to that and why. People need to get their head out of the sand and look at the evidence.

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
I usually find the winter Olympics more interesting than the summer games, partly because it's more exciting to win as an underdog (as the USA often is in the winter games). But I didn't watch one minute of these games. In addition to the genocidal tendencies of the host country, there were a lot of other factors that made these games less compelling. The time differential, the lack of fans, the fact that athletes could go into quarantine with a positive test merely hours before their event, and the corrupt nature of the IOC made it all feel like the "exhibition games" rather than "the show." I'm happy for the Americans that won medals and I hope they gave it all they had and got some semblance of the usual Olympic experience, but as a fan event, these games just felt like background music to me: I was vaguely aware it was going on, but I didn't care enough to tune in.
I'm happy for all athletes, regardless of country, who won medals honourably and got some semblance of the ideal Olympic experience. I'm also happy for all athletes who got the experience but did not win any medals. Again, regardless of country.

• Angry
Reactions: Dod Rangerfield

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
I would like to see the Summer Olympics permanently held in Athens, and the Winter Games in a comparable winter location. Less expensive overall, and might reduce the political influence some.

Reactions: GCJerryUSC

1Mcreekcock

Joined Aug 7, 2021 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 21, 2022
We should had boycotted the Olympics with China. There human rights are horrible
As China displayed during this dog and pony show. I didn't watch ANY of it but from what I heard and read the athletes were treated as China treats there own, like pawns.

As far as the U.S. companies that are very judgemental towards our own people but give China a pass for profits sake, screw em. I try to avoid doing business with them and China products in genaral...unfortunately most of us are forced to use med's that come from...China...🤷👎

One of our major retailers used to end every ad with "MADE IN AMERICA" but now they couldn't open their stores without China. Never have and never will understand why we prop up countries that want to destroy us.

• Love
Reactions: Dod Rangerfield