Marshawn Lloyd

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
Starting and excelling are different. You excel at Vandy > bench at SoCal. Sorry to burst your bubble, but Their relevance has been on par with Miami and FSU the past 10 years. Reggie Bush left along time ago.

This begs the question, if he's good enough to start on an SEC team, why is he not starting at USC west?

Big JC

May 12, 2023
It appears that a starting RB in a middling SEC program does not equate to being a starting RB in a top Pac12 program. Being the best RB on a 7 win SEC team not known for having a dangerous running game is sort of a "tallest pygmy in the jungle" situation.

Reactions: Lurker123

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
Was he a standout in the sec?

But I don't think this line of thought works. A standout in the SEC being relegated to a platoon player elsewhere says the other place has more talent.
No. But I was saying I thought he could have been if he could stay healthy. He’s already got durability concerns. I just think if he were able to prove he could stay healthy in a feature back role it would have benefited him.

Slim Chickens Gamecock

Feb 2, 2022
That Branch Kid will still a lot of the attention.
Lloyd was yet another anomaly of "old" Carolina when you finally land a five star RB that then drops to a 4 Star back and then he has an ACL tear before his first carry. The kid is good but the injury will likely limit his trajectory, to some extent. Maybe the NIL was too attractive to turn down with him knowing the same.

Reactions: Cackmandu

Mauze1

Joined Jul 11, 2012
Jan 20, 2022
Is it? Setting aside the conference, he changed teams to a team with much higher exposure. A team that is a "title contender".

We will probably miss his production a lot, but I'm not sold that he made a mistake.
His production? Yep, a real juggernaut. LOL

Tngamecock

Jan 22, 2022
Never said he was. But given our thin RB room, we may miss the 750 yards he gave us last year.
He did not gain 750 yards last year. He rushed for about 750 yards in his career. His net was 573 yards last year. He gained 621 last year total rushing.

While I would like to have him on the team, if we can’t replace that we suck.

And I was a Lloyd fan. Wish he could have stayed healthy to reach his potential. Maybe now he can.

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
Never said he was. But given our thin RB room, we may miss the 750 yards he gave us last year.
Don’t sleep on DK. He’s averaging 5.1 ypc in his career here. It’s not like we’re putting a TE that’s never taken a handoff back there or something…

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
He did not gain 750 yards last year. He rushed for about 750 yards in his career. His net was 573 yards last year. He gained 621 last year total rushing.

While I would like to have him on the team, if we can’t replace that we suck.

And I was a Lloyd fan. Wish he could have stayed healthy to reach his potential. Maybe now he can.

750 rushing and receiving last year.

Hardly irreplaceable, but with a thin RB room, it would have been nice to have that production return.

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
Don’t sleep on DK. He’s averaging 5.1 ypc in his career here. It’s not like we’re putting a TE that’s never taken a handoff back there or something…

Agree he's got potential. But we're also talking about his third position, right?

That strikes me as us needing bodies back there.

Cackmandu

Feb 2, 2022
Agree he's got potential. But we're also talking about his third position, right?

Yes absolutely, but DK has taken on everything thrown at him, so he was a great candidate with all the tools, just needed to rework his body a little. I think it will turn out to be a good experiment. I'll bet you he can get us more than 750 run/catch yards, just his "want to" will get that!

Snoopcockycock

Joined Nov 13, 2005
Feb 1, 2022
Interesting how some posters want to tell kids how to run their lives. College selection is best left to the player and his family. Funny how there are no posts demeaning the kids who transferred to us. If they underperform for us compared to their previous program will some posters mock them, doubt it.
No, what's interesting is how narrow minded you appear here, and how shallow your thinking is. First, it's not about transferring. It's about how he went about it. He was subversive, meeting with Beamer saying all was good, and then a few days later off he goes. It's about pushing Gamecock fans to buy his crap, as they believe he will represent us, and then DD'ing to SoCal. It's about being a cancer on this team coming down the stretch, faking an injury because he didn't like how they were relying on Rattler instead of him. He was a selfish, ME FIRST, type of player who didn't care about this team at all. That's why people are pissed at him, not just because he transferred. So, it's not just some posters trying to tell a kid how to run his life. It's about loyalty, your word actually meaning something and being a person of character and ethics. And we have every right to expect that of anybody representing our university. I find it "interesting" how some posters can't understand that...

Snoopcockycock

Joined Nov 13, 2005
Feb 1, 2022
I laugh every time a poster picks on Lloyd or claims Southern Cal is not that good. It's like we have a bunch of jilted little girls on this Board. Southern Cal is #6 and Lloyd would start for us.
And I laugh every time a BETA allows people to just S*!T all over him, and still kisses their a$$. Bravo betaboy!

Snoopcockycock

Joined Nov 13, 2005
Feb 1, 2022
The worst part is the way Lloyd handled it. After the Clemson game the team had some time off and Lloyd was going back to MD for a few day. Lloyd and Beamer spoke in his office. He assured Beamer everything was fine and he was happy with his role on the team and everything else.
As Beamer was in the DC area recruiting Harbor and others, he reached out to Lloyd. Beamer said he called Lloyd 13 times and he never answered or returned a call. Luke Doty was his roommate. Lloyd came home with Luke several times to MB, I've seen them. Luke also called Lloyd with no response either.
If Lloyd had handled it a more mature way I don't think the fanbase would be so sour on him. He turned his back on the people who were the closest to him.
EXXXXXXXXXXXACTLY!!!! And that was ONLY part of it. Too many posters make holier-than-thou statements with little to no real information, and don't realize how ridiculous they sound. Good post.

Snoopcockycock

Joined Nov 13, 2005
Feb 1, 2022
If you have the talent, the NFL will find you. The talent makes the SEC, not the other way around. Let's not fool ourselves. If Lloyd is NFL material, he will make it regardless of the conference.
I guess you don't understand, or maybe you are just ignorant to the stats. But there are tens of thousands of NFL talented players who NEVER got a shot at the NFL. Happens every single year, for decades and decades. Maybe research the percentages.

Snoopcockycock

Joined Nov 13, 2005
Feb 1, 2022
Was he a standout in the sec?

But I don't think this line of thought works. A standout in the SEC being relegated to a platoon player elsewhere says the other place has more talent.
No it doesn't. Speaking of a flawed line of thought... That is just shallow thinking. What it could say is many things, but the system, conference and type of ball being played is a bigger part of it. Different conferences play different version of football. It's why a team like OSU can breeze through the BIG for years and years, and get pummeled when playing an SEC team most of those years. The SEC puts more players into the NFL than any other league. That's their point. And it's an empirical fact. So you can wonder and twist your way around it any way you want, but in the end, the only true measure is championships. When's the last time SoCal did that?

Viennacock

Jan 21, 2022
I guess you don't understand, or maybe you are just ignorant to the stats. But there are tens of thousands of NFL talented players who NEVER got a shot at the NFL. Happens every single year, for decades and decades. Maybe research the percentages.
Stupid post but nice try cowboy.

• Haha

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023

Yep. This probably should have been the first move. He's also seen a lot of football from 3 different positions, and much older and mature than most of the guys he's going to be playing against. He's just a dude that does whatever he's asked, without complaint....and generally does them well. I think he's primed for a big season.

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
No it doesn't. Speaking of a flawed line of thought... That is just shallow thinking. What it could say is many things, but the system, conference and type of ball being played is a bigger part of it. Different conferences play different version of football. It's why a team like OSU can breeze through the BIG for years and years, and get pummeled when playing an SEC team most of those years. The SEC puts more players into the NFL than any other league. That's their point. And it's an empirical fact. So you can wonder and twist your way around it any way you want, but in the end, the only true measure is championships. When's the last time SoCal did that?

Never said the SEC didn't put more players in the NFL. And yes, the SEC has more talent and championships than any other conference.

Just saying that if a guy leaves a more talented TEAM for a lesser, you would expect him to step up the depth chart, not down.

Atlanta_Cock

May 29, 2023
Yes absolutely, but DK has taken on everything thrown at him, so he was a great candidate with all the tools, just needed to rework his body a little. I think it will turn out to be a good experiment. I'll bet you he can get us more than 750 run/catch yards, just his "want to" will get that!
True, but hope is not a plan. I'm more than surprised at our inability to bring in some real names by year 3.

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
Well, it looks like we have the answer to why Lloyd left. He saw this OL coming, and wanted no part of sacrificing his career over it.

We also got a preliminary answer to the DK at running back question. It appears he really is just a warm body back there.

Last edited:

Carolina Doc

Joined Aug 16, 2019
Jan 25, 2022
It still don't understand. Lloyd is a second string back in a second rate conference when he could have stayed and been the starting RB in the best football conference...
Personally, I don't think it matters which team or conference one plays for. Play the game you love at the school you love. That said, there really is no comparison between Southern Cal's football tradition and ours.

Reactions: bayrooster

Prestonyte

Jun 1, 2022
Hoping the stellar OL class coming in will bring a stellar RB to go with it.

bayrooster

Jan 21, 2022
Personally, I don't think it matters which team or conference one plays for. Play the game you love at the school you love. That said, there really is no comparison between Southern Cal's football tradition and ours.
Exactly! With their legacy, Southern Cal doesn't need to ride on the coat-tails of their conference.

Beehaver

Garnet Trust Supporter
Jul 8, 2023
Perhaps he thought of it more like trading teams, and not trading conferences?
I am not sorry he left. To me, he WAY under performed to his billing etc. He wouldn't make the top 10 in RB's that have played for South Carolina, imho.

Reactions: kidrobinski

Latest posts