Match Notes for Iowa & Rutgers

Bosco2

Oct 25, 2021
I see 7, probably 8 wins vs Iowa. Shutout vs RU is a distinct possibility.

Reactions: ElDuce

WV lion

Oct 17, 2021
Shutting out iowa is definitely a possibly. There will be several toss ups, but all very winnable.

PSU87

Oct 12, 2021
Not sure I see it playing out that way but you can definitely lay it out that way. Just think Iowa gets at least one or two at home with some added pep in its step after the Michigan clunker.
PSU coworker and I were just discussing this. Nationals is our Super Bowl. Since Iowa has no chance at Nationals this year, THIS is their Super Bowl.
We will win the dual, but will lose a few bouts we thought we would win.

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
I’m not sure B. Davis has the strength yet to beat the Iowa kid. Hopefully he really does. Iowa will wrestle like a completely different team in Carver. They always do. Should be a lot of fun. Look for the BTN to possibly get a record breaking audience this one Friday night. Going to be a blast.

Reactions: Brother3 and ElDuce

Got GSPs

Oct 7, 2021
I see 7, probably 8 wins vs Iowa. Shutout vs RU is a distinct possibility.
We are higher ranked in 9 out of 10 weights. That said, I wouldn’t be surprised if Messenbrink pulls off the slight upset, and Iowa pulling an upset or two. I do not see a lot of bonus point wins on either side.

Got GSPs

Oct 7, 2021
Not sure I see it playing out that way but you can definitely lay it out that way. Just think Iowa gets at least one or two at home with some added pep in its step after the Michigan clunker.
Yeah, Iowa wrestling has too much pride to crap the bed two meets in a row.

Reactions: Garw

Roar More

Oct 30, 2021
What is the over/under for number of Iowa takedowns? It's hard to win without them, although we have recently given up a pair of pins without a takedown.

Karl_Havok

Oct 6, 2021
I’m not sure B. Davis has the strength yet to beat the Iowa kid. Hopefully he really does. Iowa will wrestle like a completely different team in Carver. They always do. Should be a lot of fun. Look for the BTN to possibly get a record breaking audience this one Friday night. Going to be a blast.

Why would you think he doesn't have the strength to beat Drake Ayala who is not a big 125lber? A matter of fact Ayala has been criticized for not being strong enough early in his career at Iowa by Iowa fans. Davis was able to beat Michael DeAugustino from Michigan who is 24 years old and fully developed while Davis is a baby faced true freshman. If Ayala beats Davis it won't be because Davis isn't strong enough. A matter of fact Davis is years ahead from a technical standpoint than most true freshman we see. I think it's a toss up match because it's at Carver and not because of a strength issue.

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
My prediction is for Iowa to win three matches. They might be able to Carver out a fourth. One of the Brother Brands will cost them a team point. If it is settled early, Kerk will get a forfeit.

Roar More

Oct 30, 2021
When will the person in charge of the match notes correct the bottom of the page notation that Penn State has won "10 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS - NINE UNDER CAEL SANGERSON"?

ClarkstonMark

Oct 12, 2021
We are higher ranked in 9 out of 10 weights. That said, I wouldn’t be surprised if Messenbrink pulls off the slight upset, and Iowa pulling an upset or two. I do not see a lot of bonus point wins on either side.
I see bonus at 65,74,84,97,HWT

• Wow
Reactions: Got GSPs

1995PSUGrad

Oct 30, 2021
If the match starts at 125, Davis could really set the tone. If he wins, things could get ugly for Iowa very quickly. I don't have any doubt that we win this dual, but it could be closer than any of us want it to be. If it was at home, I would say that it much less likely that it's close. With all that said, I have picked Penn State to win 9 of 10.

gimb14

May 3, 2022
If the match starts at 125, Davis could really set the tone. If he wins, things could get ugly for Iowa very quickly. I don't have any doubt that we win this dual, but it could be closer than any of us want it to be. If it was at home, I would say that it much less likely that it's close. With all that said, I have picked Penn State to win 9 of 10.
I too have 9 of 10. I could make a case for them at 125, 141 (where I think the loss happens), 149, 157, and 165, but that basically means they need everything to break right and our hammers not to bonus just to tie. I'm leaning about 30-3, 27-6ish

gimb14

May 3, 2022
Why would you think he doesn't have the strength to beat Drake Ayala who is not a big 125lber? A matter of fact Ayala has been criticized for not being strong enough early in his career at Iowa by Iowa fans. Davis was able to beat Michael DeAugustino from Michigan who is 24 years old and fully developed while Davis is a baby faced true freshman. If Ayala beats Davis it won't be because Davis isn't strong enough. A matter of fact Davis is years ahead from a technical standpoint than most true freshman we see. I think it's a toss up match because it's at Carver and not because of a strength issue.
Because he just spams threads and doesn't know wrestling?

SurgeOne

Oct 30, 2021
My prediction is for Iowa to win three matches. They might be able to Carver out a fourth. One of the Brother Brands will cost them a team point. If it is settled early, Kerk will get a forfeit.
I heard Kueter is really good. Never saw him wrestle. If he goes, any chance of beating Kerk?

Other: I’d say the over/under is 3.5 wins for da Iowankers

WV lion

Oct 17, 2021
I heard Kueter is really good. Never saw him wrestle. If he goes, any chance of beating Kerk?

Feldman was really good too. How did that work out?

SRATH

Oct 30, 2021
In Cael We Trust. Our guys will be ready and I suspect…..rested, especially the lower weights. This is a great weekend to have taken the foot off the training pedal a bit to give the kids a glimpse of what is coming in March. The Vets get it, but look for good things from the rookies and newbies.

Reactions: WV lion

SurgeOne

Oct 30, 2021
Feldman was really good too. How did that work out?
I had watched Feldman pvsly, knew Kerk would handle him. I know nothing about Kueter- maybe someone here knows if he’s a mega-talent that can challenge Kerk, or not at this pt

Karl_Havok

Oct 6, 2021

I doubt they throw Keuter out against Kerk. He would get dominated. First of all he spent the whole first semester playing football and not training for the mat. Football shape is nothing like wrestling shape. He is a true freshman and a guy like Kerk would rag doll him around the mat.

Unless Keuter quits football and focuses on wrestling he won’t make a meaningful impact for the Hawkeyes. Could he make an impact if he focused on wrestling? Sure. College wrestling is a full time job, not a part time one.

Jeff-Loz

Oct 31, 2021
I doubt they throw Keuter out against Kerk. He would get dominated. First of all he spent the whole first semester playing football and not training for the mat. Football shape is nothing like wrestling shape. He is a true freshman and a guy like Kerk would rag doll him around the mat.

Unless Keuter quits football and focuses on wrestling he won’t make a meaningful impact for the Hawkeyes. Could he make an impact if he focused on wrestling? Sure. College wrestling is a full time job, not a part time one.
Agree with all you are saying, Karl. Very hard to be two-sport athlete at NCAA and pro level. One Penn State exception was Dave Joyner. He was a 3-time EIWA Heavyweight champion and was NCAA 2nd place in 1971. He was also 1st team All-American in football that year and an Academic All-American. He is in the college football Hall of Fame and the PA Wrestling HOF.

Reactions: Karl_Havok

Roar More

Oct 30, 2021
Knowing how reluctant Iowa is to commit to offense, the outcome of many of these matches will depend on the referee's willingness to call stalling in Carver.

What is the over/under on Hawkeye takedowns? Maybe 4.5?

Reactions: WV lion

manatree

Oct 6, 2021

Kueter was very good in high school, but at this stage in their wrestling development, the only was I see him beating Kerkvliet is if the Hawkeyes have added Jeff Gillooly to their staff.

Last edited: