Match Notes for Ohio State

ElDuce

Oct 29, 2022
the 1st four weights 👀 👀 👀 👀
big test this weekend for the lighter wrestlers

Reactions: KMAC41

derks

Nov 1, 2021
Trust me, this will not be close. I anticipate winning 7 of 10 at least! the Juggernaut rolls on!!!!

gpsu88

Sep 1, 2022
So on impulse I bought tickets for this match. I’ve never gone to a match before- so how early should I plan to get there? I know how to plan for football traffic but have no idea if there is much of an issue with wrestling at rec. Those of you who go regularly have any advice?
Thanks!

SleepyLion

Sep 1, 2022
So on impulse I bought tickets for this match. I’ve never gone to a match before- so how early should I plan to get there? I know how to plan for football traffic but have no idea if there is much of an issue with wrestling at rec. Those of you who go regularly have any advice?
Thanks!
If you are okay with walking... show up really early (two+ hours) park in a garage downtown hit up a bar or two have dinner and walk to Rec Hall. Walk back downtown maybe check out some sights.

Or if not into walking, show up 1 hour to 30 minutes early park as close to Rec Hall as you can (maybe Nittany Lion Inn parking deck) and walk in.

Good buy. Enjoy the matches.

Reactions: gpsu88

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Thanks!

I haven't been at a dual in Rec Hall in several years, so keep that in mind with this response.

Most folks used to park across Atherton, so getting there 30-40 minutes before the dual was sufficient. Alas, due to new buildings going up on the West Campus, I believe that parking has disappeared.

PSU has gotten much more organized about parking. Now a days, for busy days of sporting events, it makes the most sense to purchase parking tickets in advance. You can do so at the link in the below tweet.

My suggestion: buy your tickets now, pick Nittany Deck, and get there @ 1 hour before the dual.

Have fun!

Last edited:

Bosco2

Oct 25, 2021
Thanks!
There is also free parking in the Eisenhower parking garage with a free shuttle to Rec Hall. That may be faster than trying to exit the Nittany garage after a match.

SRATH

Oct 30, 2021
If you are okay with walking... show up really early (two+ hours) park in a garage downtown hit up a bar or two have dinner and walk to Rec Hall. Walk back downtown maybe check out some sights.

Or if not into walking, show up 1 hour to 30 minutes early park as close to Rec Hall as you can (maybe Nittany Lion Inn parking deck) and walk in.

Good buy. Enjoy the matches.
This is always a capital plan.....good call Sleepy

Parking at the deck right at Rec is a disaster after the match. Some folks don't mind it but hate the logjam. I would definitely recommend other options. Buying parking in advance is smart.......what I expect from Tom.

You can also part out on the Eisenhower deck and take the shuttle....depending on your time or where you eat. ( I have never done this ) Or park in what I will call the Creamery deck and go to the.......well you know. Then walk it off. This is a lie I always tell myself; maybe it will work for you too.

If you can get to SC really early, I don't know the exact time, but both teams will be working out before the match down in the Lorenzo Wrestling Room. If you have not witnessed this or spent time down in Lorenzo, I would highly recommend this be a key part of your agenda. Even if don't get there in time to see the teams warm up, it is still worth the 15 minutes to see the room. Truly stunning, imho.

I recall Cassar's tweet after he won. It is a pic of him in front of his plaque with the comment paraphrased......." now everyone can see what I have been seeing the last few years".

Holy Ground.

Even if people are not wrestling fans, what we have going right now is a masterclass in excellence which everyone should be able to appreciate.

I just checked parking, only the Nittany Deck is available. Yuck.

Last edited:

gpsu88

Sep 1, 2022
Thank you all- when I say I bought on impulse, I bought them last night and have to work Friday, so unfortunately getting there early enough to walk up from downtown isn’t an option. Was just hoping getting to State College around 5:30 wouldn’t mean I’d miss the first match. Sounds like that should be ok. Looking forward to seeing the team in action in person

Roar More

Oct 30, 2021
While the parking isn't free, I believe there is also a shuttle from the west parking deck.

PSU_Lions_84

Jul 2, 2022
OT: I dialed up YouTube this evening, just in time to catch my HS hosting a wrestling match. The Warriors started out slowly - were down 7-4 early on. Then middle wrestlers caught fire and logged a bunch of pins. Ended up winning 50-10. Good stuff!

Reactions: Tom McAndrew

ElDuce

Oct 29, 2022
125 should be a win, will it be a major?
133 if your an AA, this is a win, if not, could be trouble for Nagao
141 toughest test to date, could see in both ways, Beau has been on the verge against lesser opponents
149 a win here gives us a real shot at 10 AA, toss up
157 the meatgrinder starts, W with bonus
165 major or a tech?
173 major or a tech?
184 should win, will it be a major?
197 2nd best at this weight, in the world! bonus points
285 may be closer than it should be, a W, will it be bonus points?

CowbellMan

Feb 1, 2024
Thank you all- when I say I bought on impulse, I bought them last night and have to work Friday, so unfortunately getting there early enough to walk up from downtown isn’t an option. Was just hoping getting to State College around 5:30 wouldn’t mean I’d miss the first match. Sounds like that should be ok. Looking forward to seeing the team in action in person
If you park downtown at 5:30 you won’t miss anything. You have an hour to walk up. Have a blast!! I’ll be there. Wave. I’ll be wearing blue and white. 😎

• Haha
Reactions: JBott

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Are there ever any tickets available from individuals selling them outside of Rec Hall? Asking for my son who is a student and may be looking last minute for a ticket?

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
125 should be a win, will it be a major?
133 if your an AA, this is a win, if not, could be trouble for Nagao
141 toughest test to date, could see in both ways, Beau has been on the verge against lesser opponents
149 a win here gives us a real shot at 10 AA, toss up
157 the meatgrinder starts, W with bonus
165 major or a tech?
173 major or a tech?
184 should win, will it be a major?
197 2nd best at this weight, in the world! bonus points
285 may be closer than it should be, a W, will it be bonus points?
I really want to see Carter humble Welsh. I think that kid could use a little humble pie. Gabe Arnold too, but the Brands aren’t going to let that happen.

Reactions: WV lion and ElDuce

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Are there ever any tickets available from individuals selling them outside of Rec Hall? Asking for my son who is a student and may be looking last minute for a ticket?

there usually are, though they can be expensive.

students get in free to PSU wrestling matches. There is a cap on how many they let in. The seats aren't perfect, as they sit on the floor, behind the opposing team's corner. I believe there is an entrance at Rec Hall that students have to use to get this access. It's been a few years since I tracked down the details on this, but your son should be able to find out the info relatively quickly. (Or, perhaps someone here knows the current details, and can post them.)

Last edited:
Reactions: LB99

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
there usually are, though they can be expensive.

students get in free to PSU wrestling matches. There is a cap on how many they let in. The seats aren't perfect, as they sit on the floor, behind the opposing team's corner. I believe there is an entrance Rec Hall that students have to use to get this access. It's been a few years since I tracked down on the details on this, but your son should be able to find out the info relatively quickly. (Or, perhaps someone here knows the current details.)
Yep, as far as I can tell this is still the deal.

Reactions: LB99

Tryingtodoitright

Oct 12, 2021
We’re out of the country until March 12, return right after Big 10’s, but we left home a week ago and brought my device believing all was ready to play remaining BTN matches on YouTube tv. So I log in last Friday night to watch the scheduled matches and got the announcement, ‘You’re out of the country, this broadcast is unavailable in your area’! I was so disappointed (edited for PG audience). All that said, if anyone knows how to repost the meet afterwards/ next day on this site I’d greatly appreciate it.
(Was able to watch the PSU vs MD drubbing when someone posted the replay on HVI site, so not all is lost.) I will meet up with some guys for the annual ‘guy thing’ and watch NCAA’s as a group. Started going to Big 10’s @ ‘94 and have made many of them in person with a few NCAA’s sprinkled in.

Lionz_den

Oct 18, 2021
Does anyone have the betting line for the match? I'll be driving up from DC with my son and 2 buckeyes in SRO. Looking forward to it.

CowbellMan

Feb 1, 2024
We’re out of the country until March 12, return right after Big 10’s, but we left home a week ago and brought my device believing all was ready to play remaining BTN matches on YouTube tv. So I log in last Friday night to watch the scheduled matches and got the announcement, ‘You’re out of the country, this broadcast is unavailable in your area’! I was so disappointed (edited for PG audience). All that said, if anyone knows how to repost the meet afterwards/ next day on this site I’d greatly appreciate it.
(Was able to watch the PSU vs MD drubbing when someone posted the replay on HVI site, so not all is lost.) I will meet up with some guys for the annual ‘guy thing’ and watch NCAA’s as a group. Started going to Big 10’s @ ‘94 and have made many of them in person with a few NCAA’s sprinkled in.
Next time overseas, ExpressVPN.

Reactions: Tryingtodoitright

Latest posts