Michigan Fan Whines About Officiating

loinfan01

Oct 25, 2021
I saw this and just had to laugh. I'll admit that I didn't watch much of the game, but the theory that Big Ten refs would be biased against Michigan in this game is laughable at best.

PSUwolf

Oct 29, 2021
Seriously, this goes on at every school when things don't go their way. Many CF fans have blinders on

Oct 29, 2021

PSUAVLNC

Oct 28, 2021
I watched. It was a good college football game. The lack of calls for holding on both sides was astounding. I think in the B1G the offensive guy had to tackle the defensive guy for holding to be called, and then only maybe.

loinfan01

Oct 25, 2021
I watched. It was a good college football game. The lack of calls for holding on both sides was astounding. I think in the B1G the offensive guy had to tackle the defensive guy for holding to be called, and then only maybe.
Holding is a tough one. You have to let them play to some degree, and as a fan I don't want to see 10 holding penalties per game. That said, Big Ten officials allow an egregious amount of holding.

Al_Tuna

Oct 25, 2021
Holding is a tough one. You have to let them play to some degree, and as a fan I don't want to see 10 holding penalties per game. That said, Big Ten officials allow an egregious amount of holding.
Yes, we often complain about the holding calls, but we got away with some doozies last weekend. There seemed to be a lot of blown/missed calls in several games that I watched.

Woodpecker

Oct 7, 2021
I think that, in part, ends up hurting Big Ten teams in bowl games. After a year of grabbing without repercussions, players don't adjust to refs from other conferences.

Reactions: Psu00

BananaGuyMike

Nov 2, 2021
Give Joe his 2 seconds back from 2005. That's just the start. Then make up for heel-toe and a plethora of other calls and non-calls that helped Michigan over the years.
Then I'll listen to a "Michigan Man" complain about officials in their game against Michigan State.

Reactions: BobPSU92

PSU Mike

Oct 6, 2021
Wasn’t it an MSU clock operator that basically gave a UM/MSU game to the home squad 20 years ago? They had a legit gripe there if that memory is real.

Last edited:

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
FWIW, I haven’t seen any video angles that allowed the refs to overturn the Michigan TD on the MSU fumble last Saturday.

Reactions: Dailybuck778

loinfan01

Oct 25, 2021
I think that, in part, ends up hurting Big Ten teams in bowl games. After a year of grabbing without repercussions, players don't adjust to refs from other conferences.
I'd like to see the Big Ten make holding a point of emphasis for a season. The holding would be cleaned up after the first full week of conference games. It would be painful to watch as each team gets 100 yards of holding penalties, but it would make for better football later in the season. As it stands now, the Big Ten officials appear to only call holding when it is making up for some other bad call they made.

BananaGuyMike

Nov 2, 2021
Wasn’t it an MSU clock operator that basically gave a UM/MSU game to the home squad 20 years ago? They had a legit gripe there if that memory is real.

That was an MSU clock operator. "Spartan Bob". If I recall correctly, third party "officials" (probably hired by the Big Ten, so I wouldn't call them "unbiased") agreed that MSU should still have been allowed to get the next play off.

I didn't watch the game so I don't know what happened. If Michigan had a TD overturned when it shouldn't have been...That's a shame.
Yes. Michigan recovered a fumble for a touchdown, but it was overturned. QB was "down", according to replay. But I didn't see anything that convinced me that there's incontrovertible proof that he was down. I agree with your sarcastic "That's a shame" comment.

I'd like to see the Big Ten make holding a point of emphasis for a season. The holding would be cleaned up after the first full week of conference games. It would be painful to watch as each team gets 100 yards of holding penalties, but it would make for better football later in the season. As it stands now, the Big Ten officials appear to only call holding when it is making up for some other bad call they made.
Kinda like how the officials are trying to crack down on "targeting"? Our guys have to ask permission to hit the opponents, and they take our heads off with no penalties. I like your idea, but have zero faith that it will help in the Big Ten.

ClarkstonMark

Oct 12, 2021
Harbaugh was whining about the officiating this morning on his weekly radio appearance with Stoney (Philly native btw) and Jansen on 97.1 in Detroit.
Went on for over a minute about the reversed sack/fumble/TD