Mirasola twins to PSU

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
The are currently in 11th grade, so these are Class of 2024 recruits.

They attend West Bend West HS. They both have 49-2 records this season.

They are competing in the Wisconsin States this coming weekend. Wisconsin States are divided into Division 1, Division 2, and Division 3. They'll be in Division 1. Connor is wrestling in the 195 class, and Cole is wrestling in the 285 class. TrackWrestling's brackets for the WIAA States does not list seeds, but both Connor and Cole are listed in the bracket position that usually goes to the #1 seed.

I'll add more when I learn it. Feel free to add whatever you know about either of them.

WDLion

Oct 12, 2021
SBLive Sports National High School Wrestling Rankings (2/16/2023)

1-Max McEnelly (Waconia, MN) SR

2-Jude Correa (Wyoming Seminary, PA) SO

3-Camden McDanel (Teays Valley, OH) SR

4-Rune Lawrence (Frazier, PA) JR

5-Joey Novak (New Prague, MN) SR

6-Sonny Sasso (Nazareth, PA) SR

7-Connor Mirasola (West Bend West, WI) JR

8-AJ Heeg (Stillwater, OK) SR

9-Brock Zurawski (Lower Cape May, NJ) SR

10-McCrae Hagarty (Waverly-Shell Rock, IA) SR

11-Thomas Dineen (Benson, MN) SR

12-Tucker Hogan (Daniel Boone, PA) JR

13-Remy Cotton (Davison, MI) SR

14-Jackson Dewald (Westwood, IA) SR

15-Brian Burburija (Countryside, FL) SR

16-Justin Griffith (Sanford, DE) SR

17-Mikey Dellagatta (St. Joe Regional, NJ) SR

18-AJ Fricchione (Bergen Catholic, NJ) SR

19-Vincenzo LaValle (Hanover Park, NJ) SO

20-Vincent Lee (Delbarton, NJ) JR

21-Nick Wehmeyer (Malvern Prep, PA) JR

22-Kingsley Menefee (Fauquier, VA) SR

23-Jacob Gilfoil (Bishop McDevitt, PA)

24-Mark Marin (Clovis, CA) SO

25-Ryland Whitworth (Fountain Valley, CA) JR

1-Dillan Johnson (Joliet Catholic, IL) JR

2-Jim Mullen (St. Joeā€™s Regional, NJ) SR

3-Riley Robell (Bishop McDevitt, PA) SR

4-Cole Mirasola (West Bend West, WI) JR

5-Sean Kinney (Nazareth, PA)

6-Daniel Herrera (Palm Desert, CA) JR

7-Matthew Moore (Mesa Ridge, CO) SR

8-Parker Ferrell (Christiansburg, VA) JR

9-Emmanuel Ulrich (Mifflinburg, PA) SR

10-Aden Attao (Borah, ID) SR

11-Tyson Terry (Omaha North, NE) SO

12-Will Sather (Eden Prairie, MN) JR

13-Richard Thomas (Edmond North, OK) JR

14-Aidan Fockler (Massillon Perry, OH) JR

15-Leighton Jones (Brownsburg, IN) SR

16-Spencer Lanogsa (Jesuit, LA) JR

17-Maddox Borcherding (Norwalk, IA) SR

18-Jake Walker (Waverly-Shell Rock, IA) SR

19-Sampson Stillwell (St. Michael The Archangel, MO) SO

20-Paul Clark (Crown Point, IN) JR

21-Max Acciardi (Paramus, NJ) SR

22-Nick Pavlechko (State College, PA) JR

23-Aaron Ries (Wadsworth, OH) JR

24-Kolton Weaver (Point Pleasant, WV) JR

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
PSU verbal Zack Ryder defeated Connor Mirasola in the Finals last May in the USA Under 17 Cadet FS Nationals to make the US team @ 80 Kg (176.6 lbs.) The final is a best-of-three competition. In the first match, Ryder defeated Mirasola 8-0. In the second match he pinned Mirasola. Now the two get to be PSU teammates.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Connor Mirasola won the 170 lbs. WIAA Div. 1 Championship as a freshman in 2021
He won the 182 lbs. WIAA Div. 1 Championship as a sophomore in 2022

Cole Mirasola took 5th at 182 lbs. in the WIAA Div. 1 Championship as a freshman in 2021
He won the 195 lbs. WIAA Div. 1 Championship as a sophomore in 2022

Spinpsu

Dec 1, 2022
The are currently in 11th grade, so these are Class of 2024 recruits.

They attend West Bend West HS. They both have 49-2 records this season.

They are competing in the Wisconsin States this coming weekend. Wisconsin States are divided into Division 1, Division 2, and Division 3. They'll be in Division 1. Connor is wrestling in the 195 class, and Cole is wrestling in the 285 class. TrackWrestling's brackets for the WIAA States does not list seeds, but both Connor and Cole are listed in the bracket position that usually goes to the #1 seed.

I'll add more when I learn it. Feel free to add whatever you know about either of them.
Is Division 1 the toughest or division 3 ?

BrucePa

Oct 12, 2021
I learned to never doubt Cael when it comes to evaluating and developing talent, but I see a few PA wrestlers ranked above them....are these two the cream of the crop?

Daveb9127

Nov 29, 2021
Thanks to Dice for updating the spreadsheet.

It will be fascinating to see how all this shakes out.
I would think that since they are already wrestling at 195 and 285 that they will not be coming in at 184 and 197 though, as is listed on spreadsheet. They still have another year to grow.But, who knows.

Last edited:

Daveb9127

Nov 29, 2021
I learned to never doubt Cael when it comes to evaluating and developing talent, but I see a few PA wrestlers ranked above them....are these two the cream of the crop?
Robell is the only Pa guy listed above the 285 twin, and he is going to play football. As for the 190, not sure about Lawrence, but Sasso is going to follow his brother at Ohio State, I believe.

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
I would think that since they are already wrestling at 190 and 285 that they will not be coming in at 184 and 197 though, as is listed on spreadsheet. They still have another year to grow.But, who knows.
Those are their postseason weights. In the regular season, they were 182 and 195.

Supposedly the weight changes were to avoid Askren Club matchups at states -- though it might have been to make room for teammates.

Reactions: Daveb9127

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
Regarding the 195 rankings:
Correa is actually from NH, but attends Seminary. Massive prospect, though his college weight is unclear (197 or 285). Just a SO.

Lawrence is tough to project. He'll likely be a PA 4x champ but national-level results are mixed, some eye-popping wins but can't seem to put together a complete tournament. Also not clear if he'll be a college 197 or 285. He might follow his brother to Lehigh.

The twins (and Connor in particular) are very good prospects. They've visited PSU and loved it. Great fit with the team. Lineup logjam is the only real question here.

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
About the 285 rankings: they're kinda meaningless without seeing 220 rankings side by side.

Offhand, Kueter and Hopke would both be top 5 at HWT, and maybe both top 2.

Reactions: headlock

Gronky

Nov 10, 2021
Yeah, not to question King Cael, but it seems like there will be quite the logjam from 174-197 in the coming years! Given the competition, I wonder how much scholarship/NIL money is being thrown at each of these guys vs them just having the experience of being at PSU & that being enough? Great "problem" to have...

Daveb9127

Nov 29, 2021
Asking someone in the know: Looking down the road, what are our odds of getting the following:
Lilledahl, Knox,Duke,Correa,Bassett, and Forrest ?? Not as a group, but individually. Thanks.

manatree

Oct 6, 2021

C'mon, you can't over recruit if you land the top ranked recruit at the start.

>>insert preferred emoji here

Reactions: BrucePa

LB99

Oct 27, 2021

You answered your own question. Never doubt Cael. He and Casey and the rest of the staff are looking for specifics when they recruit. They clearly also value the character of the young man. It doesnā€™t matter if they come from PA , CA, or AZ to them. They know exactly what they are looking for. I saw an interview several years ago with Cael. He was asked about recruiting PA. The overview was he was more than happy to get the top talent in PA if they were a fit. He pointed out towards campus and said, ā€œWe can get starters out there, but we are looking for National Champions.ā€

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Asking someone in the know: Looking down the road, what are our odds of getting the following:
Lilledahl, Knox,Duke,Correa,Bassett, and Forrest ?? Not as a group, but individually. Thanks.
Lilledahl is a legitimate possibility. Knox and Dukeā€¦not sure. It would appear that they would be projected at the same weights as SVN, Haines, Kasak, and Sealy. Correa?? Bassett and Forrest are probably real options but both are freshman. Long way to go with their recruiting and growing. Time will tell.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021

First, take a look at where the respective prospects you listed are in high school:

ProspectCurrent HS Year
LilledahlJunior
KnoxSophomore
DukeSophomore
CorreaSophomore
BassettFreshman
ForrestFreshman

Then, think about the history of when wrestlers have verballed to PSU under CS. Dalton Perry verballed to PSU as a freshman. I think Adam Busiello verballed to PSU as sophomore, but ended up at ASU before he landed at PSU via the transfer portal. I can't remember if Thomas Haines verballed as a sophomore or a junior. I may be forgetting a commit or two, but off the top of my head I can't recall any other verbals from wrestlers before their junior year. So in that context, it's way too early to be handicapping/speculating the odds of five of the wrestlers you mentioned landing at PSU. (Doesn't mean that some won't discuss it, but it appears that you're seeking a more informed opinion than speculation.)

The other thing to keep in mind is that CS and the coaches keep their cards very close to the vest with regards to recruiting. They do not like recruits speaking about their interaction with the PSU coaches, or tweeting pictures of such, etc. There are a small (very small) number of people that do get some inside information about PSU recruiting. And each of them knows that their access to such will pretty much disappear if they start disclosing said information in a public forum, or if they share such information with others that disclose it.

Lilledahl is the only prospect that you asked about that is a junior in HS. In another thread I mentioned that we should know his plans in the next six or so months.

headlock

Oct 31, 2021
In light of the Mirasola news, I want to ask about scholarships. How are they allocated to the Wrestling program? Are they per year allocations or is there just a total amount with renewal when wrestlers leave the program?

Tgar

Oct 13, 2021
First, take a look at where the respective prospects you listed are in high school:

ProspectCurrent HS Year
LilledahlJunior
KnoxSophomore
DukeSophomore
CorreaSophomore
BassettFreshman
ForrestFreshman

Then, think about the history of when wrestlers have verballed to PSU under CS. Dalton Perry verballed to PSU as a freshman. I think Adam Busiello verballed to PSU as sophomore, but ended up at ASU before he landed at PSU via the transfer portal. I can't remember if Thomas Haines verballed as a sophomore or a junior. I may be forgetting a commit or two, but off the top of my head I can't recall any other verbals from wrestlers before their junior year. So in that context, it's way too early to be handicapping/speculating the odds of five of the wrestlers you mentioned landing at PSU. (Doesn't mean that some won't discuss it, but it appears that you're seeking a more informed opinion than speculation.)

The other thing to keep in mind is that CS and the coaches keep their cards very close to the vest with regards to recruiting. They do not like recruits speaking about their interaction with the PSU coaches, or tweeting pictures of such, etc. There are a small (very small) number of people that do get some inside information about PSU recruiting. And each of them knows that their access to such will pretty much disappear if they start disclosing said information in a public forum, or if they share such information with others that disclose it.

Lilledahl is the only prospect that you asked about that is a junior in HS. In another thread I mentioned that we should know his plans in the next six or so months.
Never doubt the McMaster.

Reactions: cb1994 and Garw

J.E.B

Oct 30, 2021
So much can happen between now and when they hit the Wreck Hall Mat.

SRATH

Oct 30, 2021
In light of the Mirasola news, I want to ask about scholarships. How are they allocated to the Wrestling program? Are they per year allocations or is there just a total amount with renewal when wrestlers leave the program?
I have no idea and I doubt anyone outside the staff really knows the details. It has been understood top guys are coming to PSU for less than a full ride. I strongly suspect there is some sort of meritocracy. There have also been kids who really liked PSU but could get a full ride elsewhere and did fine going that route.

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
Knox is unlikely. Doesn't seem like a good fit at PSU. I suspect we wont recruit him. He seems like exactly what Rutgers should but won't get.

Correa seems less likely than before the twins committed. Maybe if he grows to HWT, though Askren thinks the twins are going 197-HWT. Correa is 2026, so maybe with some grayshirt + redshirt fun.

Lilledahl has not released a school list. He's from STL, followed his head coach to Seminary. Maybe returns to the midwest for college? No way to tell yet.

Duke has visited PSU, also strong ties to Cornell. May be hard to land with our logjam at his weights.

Bassett and Forrest have been to PSU plenty. They'll be in high demand, but our foot is in the door. Having the Gibsons (Bassett's cousins) won't hurt.

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
Nobody gets a full athletic scholarship at enrollment. Some have claimed so, but they were really the full aid package including grants and loans.

Highest we've seen confirmed during recruiting was Nick Nevills 60%. Usually it's much less, and far less than what the fans think.

Everyone gets told they have an opportunity for more scholarship money as their careers progress.

NCAA publishes team-level scholarship info within its graduation rate report. Last one I saw, PSU had 14 wrestlers on scholarship that year. (Names and allotments not listed.) With about 35-40 on the roster, Cael is employing a "heroes and zeroes" scholarship strategy.

ClarkstonMark

Oct 12, 2021
Nobody gets a full athletic scholarship at enrollment. Some have claimed so, but they were really the full aid package including grants and loans.

Highest we've seen confirmed during recruiting was Nick Nevills 60%. Usually it's much less, and far less than what the fans think.

Everyone gets told they have an opportunity for more scholarship money as their careers progress.

NCAA publishes team-level scholarship info within its graduation rate report. Last one I saw, PSU had 14 wrestlers on scholarship that year. (Names and allotments not listed.) With about 35-40 on the roster, Cael is employing a "heroes and zeroes" scholarship strategy.
interesting, though I will note that your highest allotment of 60% does not add up if only 14 wrestlers are on scholarship (if all 14 were at 60%, that adds up to 8.4, and I'd be shocked if PSU wasn't using all 9.9). Reality no one outside the program will ever know.

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021

ProspectCurrent HS Year
LilledahlJunior
KnoxSophomore
DukeSophomore
CorreaSophomore
BassettFreshman
ForrestFreshman

Thomas Haines verballed as a JR. Matt Lee might have verballed as a SO -- he and Joe committed together. Otherwise I think Perry and Busiello were all.

Cael is notoriously among the last coaches to formally recruit athletes. Braeden Davis had already published his school list -- without PSU -- when Cael swooped in and landed him.

I'd be surprised to see any FR/SO commit to PSU unless it were a situation like Perry or Lee with direct family ties.

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
interesting, though I will note that your highest allotment of 60% does not add up if only 14 wrestlers are on scholarship (if all 14 were at 60%, that adds up to 8.4, and I'd be shocked if PSU wasn't using all 9.9). Reality no one outside the program will ever know.
That was the highest at freshman enrollment, not necessarily the highest on the team.

Reactions: ClarkstonMark

headlock

Oct 31, 2021

Wow! That makes the sacrifice that these wrestlers make even more significant. Folks that have critical responses to disappointing performances might want to consider this. Thx for the insight, sir.

Latest posts