Musings from Arledge: The Long Ride Back From South Bend

GoSC27!

Sep 30, 2017
After reading your post I have to ask the one question when you say we lack talent. To me I don’t it is an issue of talent, but more so player development. That was always lacking under the Helton regime and those are the same coaches that are under Donte. How does a 3 year starter not be able to run a 2 minute drill. Why is he running the ball when he should be throwing the ball out of bounds to stop the clock, or lining up in shotgun to kill the ball. was this a Slovis thing or was there disagreement between Donte and Harrell. if receivers are running end zone routes why is kedon running the ball, chances are the receivers can’t get back in time to get back to the LOS. This just shows that everybody is not on the same page.

You pointed out AGAIN why is Drake dropping back in pass coverage. Is ND’s offense the new Air Raid where we go 3 down and drop 8 in coverage. I think the ND QB thought he was Kyler Murray mimicking pro QB’s after the game. Drake is best utilized rushing the passer as he recorded the only sack. Why in the hell does TO choose to drop him in pass coverage. Either Donte is allowing his coordinators to do what they want to do or he truly is clueless. Either way he is losing any credibility he has going forward trying to justify these losses.

But to my original point, I don’t think it is a talent issue more then it is a development issue. Many of our players weren’t ****** in high school. they graded high, so how can talent be the issue. We have seen that players that move on to the draft drop to the lower rounds. Maybe they are not as good, but did they get developed during the time they spent under Helton. The answer is flat out “No, they were loved by Helton, but not developed.”

I love both your choices in potential head coaches. Specifically, I like Campbell and Aranda. If neither are available, let’s try Dabo or even Matt Nagy after he gets canned at Chicago. Tomlin would also be a home run, but again will our administration spend the money or still believe we are the end all destination!

And I get your point about the feelings of leaving a stadium after a crappy loss. For me it was a Booin away game. We parked miles away and got to game halfway through the first quarter. Then we left with 2 minutes left in the 4th quarter after a crappy performance. I was wearing my SC gear and the humiliating trek back to car was horrendous. The Fucla fans exiting kept honking and yelling, “We own You!” Try enduring that for a 2 mile trek. After that experience my hate for Fucla would go with me to my grave. And I know these weren’t alumni, but very classless indeed. I know the Doomers fans have much more class, I hope! But in either event it was a painful weekend to endure considering all the emotions that were spent!

Fight On!

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
After reading your post I have to ask the one question when you say we lack talent. To me I don’t it is an issue of talent, but more so player development. That was always lacking under the Helton regime and those are the same coaches that are under Donte.
I didn't come away with that take WRT talent. He said, "this team just doesn’t have the athletes of past USC teams. It’s Drake London and a bunch of guys. Some of those guys are pretty good; some of them aren’t very good. But they’re all just guys. Other than London, nobody on the roster causes fear. Other than London, you don’t have to game plan around anybody. It’s Drake London and an average Arizona State roster wearing USC uniforms."

He's right. We don't have the athletes of the past. London sticks out because he is that good. Yes, even the average guys should show development, but this team has a "talent" ceiling IMO, even with development.

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
I don't think the comments about talent fully detail the extreme lack of development USC has had over the last couple of seasons. But it's hard to disagree that the level of quality has dropped off in key positions and that the evaluation of recruits that have been accepted over the years, shouldn't be trusted. If coaches of the past weren't willing to go out and recruit to get the players that the team needed and did a bunch of settling, that explains some things. Not just from a skill standpoint but a mentality and coachability standpoint.

Shrapper

Aug 30, 2021
Not to take anything away from Drake, but (and I’m speculating here), he’s probably the first read on most plays, which is both a blessing and a curse.

This offense is bland and predictable as a result. There’s no variety and other receivers aren’t given an opportunity to shine.

I hate the whole “progression read“ concept; it’s like football for dummies and it doesn’t allow for many adjustments or the flexibility to take advantage of matchups. It also doesn’t allow a hot receiver, whomever that may be for any given game, to emerge because is everything is so lamely structured.

RONIN.usc

Dec 6, 2018
Arledge. You have such an amazing gift of capturing the exact emotions so many of us feel. I would pay just to read your Musings—- they are that insightful. Your comment about London and a bunch of guys that are an average ASU squad wearing Trojan jerseys is sooo disarming in its truth. It’s a kick to the Balls that you cant protect yourself from.
im curious your opinion on what Campbell could have done with this Trojan squad if he was hired in 2019 or 2020.
this squad of GUYs probably would be 5-1 or 6-1. When SC starts winning is when u start getting the transcendent players.

Arhedge

Staff member
Aug 24, 2017
After reading your post I have to ask the one question when you say we lack talent. To me I don’t it is an issue of talent, but more so player development. That was always lacking under the Helton regime and those are the same coaches that are under Donte. How does a 3 year starter not be able to run a 2 minute drill. Why is he running the ball when he should be throwing the ball out of bounds to stop the clock, or lining up in shotgun to kill the ball. was this a Slovis thing or was there disagreement between Donte and Harrell. if receivers are running end zone routes why is kedon running the ball, chances are the receivers can’t get back in time to get back to the LOS. This just shows that everybody is not on the same page.

You pointed out AGAIN why is Drake dropping back in pass coverage. Is ND’s offense the new Air Raid where we go 3 down and drop 8 in coverage. I think the ND QB thought he was Kyler Murray mimicking pro QB’s after the game. Drake is best utilized rushing the passer as he recorded the only sack. Why in the hell does TO choose to drop him in pass coverage. Either Donte is allowing his coordinators to do what they want to do or he truly is clueless. Either way he is losing any credibility he has going forward trying to justify these losses.

But to my original point, I don’t think it is a talent issue more then it is a development issue. Many of our players weren’t ****** in high school. they graded high, so how can talent be the issue. We have seen that players that move on to the draft drop to the lower rounds. Maybe they are not as good, but did they get developed during the time they spent under Helton. The answer is flat out “No, they were loved by Helton, but not developed.”

I love both your choices in potential head coaches. Specifically, I like Campbell and Aranda. If neither are available, let’s try Dabo or even Matt Nagy after he gets canned at Chicago. Tomlin would also be a home run, but again will our administration spend the money or still believe we are the end all destination!

And I get your point about the feelings of leaving a stadium after a crappy loss. For me it was a Booin away game. We parked miles away and got to game halfway through the first quarter. Then we left with 2 minutes left in the 4th quarter after a crappy performance. I was wearing my SC gear and the humiliating trek back to car was horrendous. The Fucla fans exiting kept honking and yelling, “We own You!” Try enduring that for a 2 mile trek. After that experience my hate for Fucla would go with me to my grave. And I know these weren’t alumni, but very classless indeed. I know the Doomers fans have much more class, I hope! But in either event it was a painful weekend to endure considering all the emotions that were spent!

Fight On!
Lack of development is obviously a factor. But I think it’s more than that. Where are the guys who jump out as big, fast, and athletic? Guys who don’t know what they’re doing can still flash athletically. Drake Jackson did as a freshman. But I don’t see a lot of that. USC’s two deep has a ton of guys that are no more athletic than the guys at ASU or Cal. The new coach is going to have to change that. You can’t meet USC expectations without USC athletes. And Clay Helton and staff have dramatically decreased the overall talent level.

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
Lack of development is obviously a factor. But I think it’s more than that. Where are the guys who jump out as big, fast, and athletic? Guys who don’t know what they’re doing can still flash athletically. Drake Jackson did as a freshman. But I don’t see a lot of that. USC’s two deep has a ton of guys that are no more athletic than the guys at ASU or Cal. The new coach is going to have to change that. You can’t meet USC expectations without USC athletes. And Clay Helton and staff have dramatically decreased the overall talent level.
It's clear that Helton and his staff after 2017 plummeted in their ability to find talent and evaluate.

PapaSmurf

Dec 14, 2019
First time I see a situation I’m which I feel sorry for the players. Well, some players. Coaches gotta go. It’s nothing more to be said. I like DL game but in any sport, u get enough chances, it’s in your favor to do well. I’m not sure coming into any game, they didn’t plan on getting anyone else the ball. Slovis damn sure doesn’t look as if he wants to go away from DL at all. If I’m a player, I got major issues with it. GH is a midmajor coach at best. He and TO would be lucky to win in HS with their game planning. See u guys Friday ✌🏾

PapaSmurf

Dec 14, 2019
Did u guys see the scree where GB was trying to block for DL! Backwards as ever. No way that ain’t 15 blocking for #1

• Sad
Reactions: Rodgarnay51

Bilbo.usc

Jan 9, 2020
Talent level has certainly taken a huge hit under a coach and AD that have lowered the bar about as far as you can
After watching Sunday night NFL game Michael Pittman reminded me of the kind of talent we used to have
Drake London is a great player but we used to have at least three receivers like that
At least 75% of the roster will have to be flipped to be decent again . major rebuild
CA
My sympathies on the bus ride back to Chicago
.. that convinced me never to make the trip to Domerville

TheGhostOfPeteCarroll

Nov 18, 2018
It's clear that Helton and his staff after 2017 plummeted in their ability to find talent and evaluate.
I agree and I think most of the elite local So CA began to see the deficiencies of the Clay Helton era around that time. The high water mark for Helton was the Rose Bowl victory and the conference championship but that year we opened with Bama and the differences between the two programs was very evident.

Last edited:

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
I agree and I think most of the elite local So CA began to see the deficiencies of the Clay Helton era around that time. The high water mark for Helton was the Rose Bowl victory and the conference championship but the very next year we opened with Bama and the differences between the two programs was very evident.
They got who they could get. Not who they wanted 80 to 90% of the time, and that's not how a program should be built.

Last edited:

GoSC27!

Sep 30, 2017
I concur that Helton is responsible for the predicament we are in right now. Then I think about our recent draft class. For starters let’s talk about Korey Foreman, the number 1 recruit in the nation. So why is he not even playing as he definitely has talent, but what is Sooto and Orlando doing so he can make a difference with his athleticism. The answer is not much.

Ok so Korey is one of the talented ones, but is not being utilized. Let’s go down the list. How about Raesjon Davis. Everyone said he has talent and is a must get, but here is another kid that is not smelling playing time. The list goes on and on, many 4 stars, ok not 5 stars, but all the posters watched their high school films and they were Kabooming when they gave their commitment, but why are they not contributing? I know first response is that they are true freshmen. But if they have the talent and athleticism why can‘t they contribute now, or were the ratings not accurate. I know Cal and ASU would have loved to get these kids.

My point is that our current coaches and past head coach never focused on DEVELOPMENT. Foreman should be playing right now and creating havoc with opposing QBs. Why is that not happening because he has coaches that don’t know how to utilize him. Why is Drake Jackson dropping in coverage? Is that showcasing his versatility? I think sacking the QB is much more relevant to NFL scouts.

i get your point if you are making comparisons to the CPC era and yes he was stacked with talent at all positions, but it wasn‘t that way when he started. Like everything else he had to coach the players he had and develop them. Once he started winning he started getting the 5 star talent.

I think our 4 star kids have talent and athleticis, but the Existing culture with Helton was to Love them versus Developing them!

And lastly was Stiner hired to also develop our kids physically making them stronger and faster? He was supposed to be the next coming of Jesus as Asmus wasn’t cutting it. And now we are saying our kids lack speed and athleticism. If so he should also be on the cut list when the new coach arrives?

I am just saying that in my opinion it is not just the kids but the coaches and culture that make the kids what they are. If you are going to lump them in with Cal and ASU kids it‘s because we made them that way!

Fight On!

Rodgarnay51

Aug 24, 2017
Did u guys see the scree where GB was trying to block for DL! Backwards as ever. No way that ain’t 15 blocking for #1
The only thing more absurd was in the Utah game when we saw Bryant trying to wall off a defensive lineman on a run on the goal line. No wonder they have a historical level of trouble in the red zone. Harrell has no idea what to do about it and he all but admits it.

Bogey Bud

Sep 3, 2021
Not to take anything away from Drake, but (and I’m speculating here), he’s probably the first read on most plays, which is both a blessing and a curse.

This offense is bland and predictable as a result. There’s no variety and other receivers aren’t given an opportunity to shine.

I hate the whole “progression read“ concept; it’s like football for dummies and it doesn’t allow for many adjustments or the flexibility to take advantage of matchups. It also doesn’t allow a hot receiver, whomever that may be for any given game, to emerge because is everything is so lamely structured.
You don't like the "progression read"???? EVERY qb goes through a progression read if the first option is covered. On Sunday Mark Sanchez as color on the Rams game did a nice analysis of the great job Stafford did on his PROGRESSION READ".

I think your issue is more how long it takes Slovis to GO through that progression.....

Cyrus.usc

Aug 24, 2017
Drake Jackson is being wasted. I wish he would come back next year, add weight and play DL (with hopefully better coaches). But he has already said he is not coming back.

Unlike the Stanford, utah, osu games we did put up a little fight in this. I was feeling good on that almost TD catch by Epps when they called targetting on ND DB giving us first and goal. But then they reversed it, we failed to score and it was over.

Last edited:

Maranello

Sep 4, 2021
Slovis is just way too slow, both on his feet (slow as molasses) and in unloading his passes. Yes, Barks and Cody weren't real fleet of foot either but they at least had quick releases. Time will tell but I'll bet Slovis's NFL career (if any) won't be nearly as long as that of Barks or Cody.

USC needs to recruit QBs who are threats at both passing and running and hopefully, Dart will be the savior for the immediate future in this regard. For too long now, opposing Ds could just blow off any running threat from the USC QB position (with the exception of Sam in '16-'17) and focus on merely the passing threats. If opposing Ds really had to respect the QB as a running threat and play honest, it would open up so many more opportunities for the O. Does Graham just not get that principle??? I seem to recall when he came over from UNT that he talked about how his AR offense also had good rushing stats from the QB.

And Matt Campbell's stock did go up just this past weekend. Watched ISU beat the Pokes (who are a legit Top 20 team) and Campbell reacted very emotionally on the sidelines (which was so good to see!). Would be ecstatic at this point with either Campbell or Aranda! I think Fickell is a long shot and even if recruited, he may well negotiate a clause that if the tOSU job ever becomes vacant, he could interview for that so, there is some downside to him as the successor. Besides, if any of the above are recruited heavily by LSU, USC needs to step up and show some financial nads and that they're serious about being in this poker game. All the other candidates at this time IMO are just posers by comparison. Just SMH how far back USC has regressed under Gomer. Those who stated he set the program back 5-10 years were spot on!

CP619

Aug 24, 2017
With a different coaching staff, USC wins that game.

Coaching lost the game, period, not the players IMO. Could they have played better, sure, but similar to Arledge's OLine assessment, this team played well enough to beat a ranked ND team on the road.

That was the one positive I took from Saturday. Bring on the next HC and give him 24 months. Cupboard is not bare. Just needs some development.

Starting to feel the MC hire and would support it, but I have this feeling it's Kris Richard and Donte (his cousin).

Last edited:

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
Cool take on Matt Campbell, Chris. If ISU beats Texas and Oklahoma, he deserves a really hard look. I am concerned that it may be too big a jump for him...and perhaps that's why he allegedly turned down an NFL gig, but the guy has the feel of the next Urban, Ohio roots and all.
Aranda is the better bet since he beat him but Texas and Oklahoma will be the perfect test. For both coaches this year, to see if they can win the games that matter.

Last edited:

Football702

Sep 4, 2021
Not a fan of the "we don't have talent", and "It's Drake and everybody else" take.

It's just giving an excuse for this poor coaching staff. It's Drake and everybody else because GH doesn't give anybody else a chance. There's is no excuse for Drake should be the only receiver getting screens and plays made specifically for him.

No matter how good he is It's limiting the offense as a whole. Watch every pass play and you'll see Slovis look to his left and if Drake isn't open, most likely a sack or worse is going to happen.

You can't claim the other guys arent talented enough to be the guy if they never get the chance to prove it.

WillingToConquest

Sep 9, 2019
To all of my fellow USC alums + die- hards who purport that coaching candidates should be jettisoned the moment they lose a momentous game-

Please, let's take a deep calming breath and remind ourselves where some of this university's grandest coaches originated.

▪︎John McKay had a decade as an Asst Coach when he was promoted to the big job. In 15 seasons helming our sideline, he won 76% of his games and four of our eleven national titles.

▪︎John Robinson? 15 yrs as an assistant at Oregon, USC and for the Oakland Raiders. Won nearly 75% of his games across two stints at Troy, four Rose Bowls and a national title. And finished #2 in the national polls two other times.

▪︎Pete Carroll had a lackluster career coaching the Jets and Patriots before Garrett chose him as his FOURTH choice. All Pete did was conduct the most sustained period of national dominance in our proud program's history. He won 83% of his 116 games, two national crowns, four Rose Bowls and coached SC to seven straight league titles and top four or higher final rankings. Sheeeeeeeeeiiit. Had the playoff existed when Pete was on the sideline, we would've won at least three more natties.

So this concept that our next coach must have an unblemished record or not lose their rivalry game...is a wee bit conceited.

As I've editorialized previously, my vote would be for Dave Aranda, who has #16 Baylor at 6-1 and employs a hard hitting defense first ethos. My runner up would be James Franklin, who: a.) Won bowl games at Vandy; b.) Restored Penn St to its toney, top twenty neighborhood.

I am also deeply intrigued by Michigan State's Mel Tucker, who has the jolly green Trojans, er, Spartans (baaaad joke!) undefeated and ranked eighth.

What say you, my fellow Trojan die hards??! Fight (TF) On!!!

Maranello

Sep 4, 2021
We'll see how this season pans out but one of my concerns about Franklin is that his recent record over 2020 and 2021 is just 9-7, literally one game above .500 and hardly a ringing endorsement insofar as a body of work. Meanwhile, you look at guys like Aranda, Campbell and Fickell whose current employers don't have near the historical recruiting pull that Ped State enjoys and they're frankly outperforming him. Plus, Gomer (Gomer!) actually owns a major bowl win over Franklin. That alone qualifies as a major blemish on one's record.

Arhedge

Staff member
Aug 24, 2017
Not a fan of the "we don't have talent", and "It's Drake and everybody else" take.

It's just giving an excuse for this poor coaching staff. It's Drake and everybody else because GH doesn't give anybody else a chance. There's is no excuse for Drake should be the only receiver getting screens and plays made specifically for him.

No matter how good he is It's limiting the offense as a whole. Watch every pass play and you'll see Slovis look to his left and if Drake isn't open, most likely a sack or worse is going to happen.

You can't claim the other guys arent talented enough to be the guy if they never get the chance to prove it.
If you’ve read my columns at all in the past, you can’t really argue that I make excuses for the coaching staff. The lack of talent is, itself, an indictment of the coaching staff.

But at some key position groups — OL, DL, LB — the lack of talent is striking. The RB group is okay, but the two best players are transfers who weren’t stars at their old schools. The secondary has talent but has been awful. Other than QB and WR, I don’t see the top-shelf talent.

Rodgarnay51

Aug 24, 2017

Fight On!
The Domer fans do have a lot more class, when they're in South Bend. When they come to the Coliseum after drinking all day, not so much. But never as obnoxious as the UClowns - the least gracious winners I have ever personally encountered. (I've never been to Eugene.)

Reactions: TrojanFireHorse12

Rodgarnay51

Aug 24, 2017

The only problem with that theory is that Drake is better than the rest of them put together. If I wanted to win, I'd probably throw to him just as much as Slovis does.

Rodgarnay51

Aug 24, 2017
To all of my fellow USC alums + die- hards who purport that coaching candidates should be jettisoned the moment they lose a momentous game-

Please, let's take a deep calming breath and remind ourselves where some of this university's grandest coaches originated.

▪︎John McKay had a decade as an Asst Coach when he was promoted to the big job. In 15 seasons helming our sideline, he won 76% of his games and four of our eleven national titles.

▪︎John Robinson? 15 yrs as an assistant at Oregon, USC and for the Oakland Raiders. Won nearly 75% of his games across two stints at Troy, four Rose Bowls and a national title. And finished #2 in the national polls two other times.

▪︎Pete Carroll had a lackluster career coaching the Jets and Patriots before Garrett chose him as his FOURTH choice. All Pete did was conduct the most sustained period of national dominance in our proud program's history. He won 83% of his 116 games, two national crowns, four Rose Bowls and coached SC to seven straight league titles and top four or higher final rankings. Sheeeeeeeeeiiit. Had the playoff existed when Pete was on the sideline, we would've won at least three more natties.

So this concept that our next coach must have an unblemished record or not lose their rivalry game...is a wee bit conceited.

As I've editorialized previously, my vote would be for Dave Aranda, who has #16 Baylor at 6-1 and employs a hard hitting defense first ethos. My runner up would be James Franklin, who: a.) Won bowl games at Vandy; b.) Restored Penn St to its toney, top twenty neighborhood.

I am also deeply intrigued by Michigan State's Mel Tucker, who has the jolly green Trojans, er, Spartans (baaaad joke!) undefeated and ranked eighth.

What say you, my fellow Trojan die hards??! Fight (TF) On!!!
Absolutely not on Franklin. I'm good with the rest of them and Aranda would be my first choice too.

Reactions: TrojanFireHorse12

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
If you’ve read my columns at all in the past, you can’t really argue that I make excuses for the coaching staff. The lack of talent is, itself, an indictment of the coaching staff.

But at some key position groups — OL, DL, LB — the lack of talent is striking. The RB group is okay, but the two best players are transfers who weren’t stars at their old schools. The secondary has talent but has been awful. Other than QB and WR, I don’t see the top-shelf talent.
And that's really all there is to it at this point. Our next head coach has his work cut out for him.

• Sad

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
We'll see how this season pans out but one of my concerns about Franklin is that his recent record over 2020 and 2021 is just 9-7, literally one game above .500 and hardly a ringing endorsement insofar as a body of work. Meanwhile, you look at guys like Aranda, Campbell and Fickell whose current employers don't have near the historical recruiting pull that Ped State enjoys and they're frankly outperforming him. Plus, Gomer (Gomer!) actually owns a major bowl win over Franklin. That alone qualifies as a major blemish on one's record.
If this was three years ago, this hire wouldn't have been so off-putting. But Franklin's trajectory isn't consistent enough for me. I mean, he could get a win over Ohio State or Michigan or he could get blown out or lose in an annoying fashion. And I should not know these things, as a non-PSU fan. He's too wishy washy for me in terms of possible outcomes and hasn't come out on top. I don't want a coach with such visible bad habits on the sideline. At least I know what Campbell and Fickell bring to the table, and that's consistency. Then you have Aranda with his credentials; beat Saban, beat Smart, won the SEC conference and a national title with his defense, and killed it at Wisconsin prior.

Just waiting to see how he looks versus the two Big 12 traitors, win or lose.

Last edited:

Peete2Affholter

Aug 24, 2017
When we get the next head coach the healing begins.

Didn't you read the column? It'll be Yogi Roth! :ROFLMAO: :cry:

Yes, I'd agree that outside Drake London, this USC roster doesn't seem to have any guys that a Top 10 team would say - "we'd trade our guy for him." I don't see guys that the NFL scouts are salivating over.

Drake Jackson is either being horribly misused, or maybe he isn't that good. None of our current defensive players are close to being in the class of a Hufanga or Cravens (two bright spots in otherwise average defenses over the past several years). Bullock may develop into an NFL-caliber player, but lots of guys appear promising as freshmen, only to either stagnate, or even seemingly regress.

I do think it's interesting that our best RBs are transfers, but transfers have been making quite an impact at their new programs elsewhere, so this might be the wave of the future.

While watching the game, I surprisingly had almost no stress. I had resigned myself to the notion that we were going to lose, so if anything bad happened to USC, that was preordained, while if good things happened, I'd be pleasantly surprised. That's a liberating attitude, tbh. In "Band of Brothers," when Lt. Speirs tells his men - "The way you don't feel fear is to accept that you're already dead. Only then can you function properly as a soldier." - it makes sense that as a fan, the way to not feel emotional distress over your team losing is to accept that you've already lost.

Now - I'm feeling pretty dang relaxed about the rest of this season...

PapaSmurf

Dec 14, 2019

It’s a slap in the face to all that play. It’s designed to be DL and no one else. DL is big n strong. He should be great blocking for GB or TW on those screens. GH comes out the same every week. 3 passes n punt. EVERY FREAKING WEEK! We hand the opponent’s momentum right at the beginning.

Latest posts