My favorite, George Harrison song…and that’s saying something

yeahtoasty

Oct 12, 2021
Not my favorite, but it's up there. He'd come through a dark period between the lawsuit over "My Sweet Lord" and harsh criticism of his "Dark Horse" tour.

With all that behind him, he put out this upbeat gem -- it always felt to me like he was finally letting go of all the negativity and just enjoying himself. Plus, the tone of the video reflects his friendship with the Monty Python guys.

Nitt1300

Oct 12, 2021
Layla...oh wait

• Wow
Reactions: BobPSU92

Tgar

Oct 13, 2021
pop music, don’t know it
But you do know partying. You do know live music.

Late December, 1974, if I recall, the above mentioned artist was doing the Dark Horse tour to promote his album and entertain the fans. They were playing a double header at the Spectrum in Philly on a weeknight. ( 2nd time the Spectrum ever had a matinee along with a regularly scheduled show, they first was a Sunday afternoon show for Dylan and The Band earlier in the year Which we also attended )

It was a School night but who cares. Me, @Garw , siblings and friends loaded up the Old Man’s van in the parking lot at high school, it was early afternoon. The van was loaded and ready for the hour and a half road trip to South Philly for the early show which started at 5:00 pm. We made it with plenty of time, Ravi Shamir and his ensemble played along with or intermixed in with Harrison‘s band. As an 11th grader I could appreciate this was something I had never heard before and even with a buzz just could not access in my head. But hey, nothing lasts forever. The Quite Beatle was backed by a killer All Star Band including Billy Preston, Tom Scott and a bunch of musicians from his band The L A Express, a popular jazz, rock, fusion group popular during that time. George and Company killed it. I recall a few Beatles songs, Something, While my Guitar Gently Weeps, and For You Blue. There may have been more. Billy Preston sang Nothing from Nothing, among other songs from his repertoire and every band member took long solos, it was hardly a pop concert.

Show ended with a My Sweet Lord Encore and we headed for the exits. As was our tradition, we stopped at Howard Johnson’s on the Turnpike on the way home to eat Blueberry pancakes, milk shakes, pie, and burgers to sober up and come down from the buzz. We made it home well before midnight and made it to school the next morning.

Lennon is the only Beatle I have never seen live. That still stings.

Latest posts