Nepotism

MeetTheFerentzes

All-American
Sep 6, 2022
2,661
5,262
113
While I think nepotism is overall a bad thing, I don't think it should automatically eliminate anyone from ever working for a family member. To be safe, I think that as far as coaching situations like this, someone coaching for his dad should probably be undoubtedly overqualified for the position.

Not too many people complained when BF was hired as OL coach. He spent 4 years as a coach in the NFL, including one season as a position coach under a legendary HC. My guess is that his qualifications were similar to other first-time position coaches in the B1G.

Similarly at North Carolina, Stephen Belichick had 13 years of coaching experience prior to taking the NC DC job last year. That included 8 years as an NFL position coach and 1 year as a DC in the B1G. Again, probably similar to the typical resume of an ACC coordinator.

The BF promotion to OC is where people justifiably had issues. At that time he had a total of 9 years of coaching, only 6 as a position coach (1 yr NFL, 5 yr B1G). This resume was considerably weak compared to the average B1G coordinator (Heck, Phil Parker was a college position coach for 24 years before becoming a DC for the first time). Having the duties of QB coach added on was utterly ridiculous by anyone's standards.

So, I think that the chance of S. Belichick's tenure ending badly at NC are fairly high, but not clearly doomed like BF.
 
Last edited:

Kceasthawk@77

All-American
Feb 2, 2005
4,110
7,219
113
While I think nepotism is overall a bad thing, I don't think it should automatically eliminate anyone from every working for a family member. To be safe, I think that as far as coaching situations like this, someone coaching for his dad should probably be undoubtedly overqualified for the position.

Not too many people complained when BF was fired hired as OL coach. He spent 4 years as a coach in the NFL, including one season as a position coach under a legendary HC. My guess is that his qualifications were similar to other first-time position coaches in the B1G.

Similarly at North Carolina, Stephen Belichick had 13 years of coaching experience prior to taking the NC DC job last year. That included 8 years as an NFL position coach and 1 year as a DC in the B1G. Again, probably similar to the typical resume of an ACC coordinator.

The BF promotion to OC is where people justifiably had issues. At that time he had a total of 9 years of coaching, all as a position coach (1 yr NFL, 5 yr B1G). This resume was considerably weak compared to the average B1G coordinator (Heck, Phil Parker was a college position coach for 24 years before becoming a DC for the first time). Having the duties of QB coach added on was utterly ridiculous by anyone's standards.

So, I think that the chance of S. Belichick's tenure ending badly at NC are fairly high, but not clearly doomed like BF.
I'd agree totally with pretty much all of your post. I would point out though, there were people at times complaining about Kirks two older sons playing for Iowa, (even though both won all conference honors). There were certainly people complaining about his third son Steven being on the team even though he wasn't on scholarship and never played a meaningful down, yet he was a solid practice squad player, and has been an assistant coach in the NFL for the last 6 seasons
 

MeetTheFerentzes

All-American
Sep 6, 2022
2,661
5,262
113
I'd agree totally with pretty much all of your post. I would point out though, there were people at times complaining about Kirks two older sons playing for Iowa, (even though both won all conference honors). There were certainly people complaining about his third son Steven being on the team even though he wasn't on scholarship and never played a meaningful down, yet he was a solid practice squad player, and has been an assistant coach in the NFL for the last 6 seasons
LOL. It wasn’t until I saw your reply that I noticed I accidentally typed BF “fired hired.” my best faux pas to date. Since corrected.
 

Outbackbowl2017

All-Conference
Dec 4, 2016
1,767
2,887
113
 
Hawkeye Report

Latest

  1. 01 Hawkeye Report Ranking the top 25 players Iowa WBB will face during the 2026-27 season
  2. 02 Hawkeye Report Football Recruiting Tracking where Iowa's recruits play this week
  3. 03 Hawkeye Report Football Throwback Thursday: Looking back at Ohio State's starters as recruits
  4. 04 Hawkeye Report Football Throwback Thursday: Looking back at Iowa's starters as recruits
  5. 05 Rivals Football Recruiting Recruit Visits: Five-stars flood College Station, Starkville leads a loaded recruiting Saturday in week five