New Div 1 Men's Wrestling Program

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
According to this article, looks like there will be a new addition to D1 Men's Wrestling next year:
USA Wrestling | Mercyhurst University in Pennsylvania marks new era in athletics with move to Division I (themat.com)
It's not clear that Mercyhurst will be D1 in wrestling next year. Their new conference does not have wrestling.

Presumably they'll join the MAC or EIWA for wrestling, but they need to have that in place before wrestling makes the jump.

Othewise, in 2025 their guys can qualify for nationals only via at-large berth -- good luck with that. That's practically begging their entire starting lineup to transfer out.

Still, they're going D1, just a matter of when, and that's great news.

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
Considering that the EIWA just lost six teams, they ,ishtar be looking for a quick addition.

Tryingtodoitright

Oct 12, 2021
Edinboro’s Fighting Scots might be 10 miles from Mercyhurst and their program (once Very competitive) has fallen on hard times. I wonder how Mercyhurst is going to do in the move up to D1. I’d love to see a new program succeed but with diminishing resources for most smaller schools I wonder how this can happen.

Oct 26, 2021
It's not clear that Mercyhurst will be D1 in wrestling next year. Their new conference does not have wrestling.

Presumably they'll join the MAC or EIWA for wrestling, but they need to have that in place before wrestling makes the jump.

Othewise, in 2029 their guys can qualify for nationals only via at-large berth -- good luck with that. That's practically begging their entire starting lineup to transfer out.

Still, they're going D1, just a matter of when, and that's great news.
FIFY