New Palmer Art Museum listed in Arch Daily’s “The 21 Most Anticipated Projects of 2024”

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
See the link below. From the article:

IMG_1722.jpeg

“Construction is well underway for the new Palmer Museum building at Penn State, USA, as newly released images showcase the almost completed building. Set to open on June 1, 2024, the 73,000-square-foot complex will double gallery space to accommodate over 10,000 pieces. The design includes 20 galleries, new educational and event spaces, a museum store and café, a sculpture path and outdoor terraces.”

WE ARE! 😀

😞

Reactions: Midnighter

Alphalion75

Oct 21, 2021

View attachment 491675

“Construction is well underway for the new Palmer Museum building at Penn State, USA, as newly released images showcase the almost completed building. Set to open on June 1, 2024, the 73,000-square-foot complex will double gallery space to accommodate over 10,000 pieces. The design includes 20 galleries, new educational and event spaces, a museum store and café, a sculpture path and outdoor terraces.”

WE ARE! 😀

😞
WE ARE great at spending money.

Last edited:
Reactions: Achowalogan

Bob78

Oct 12, 2021
My only real complaint, outside of the money spent when we are still increasing tuition and other costs that fall to the students, is how the building just overwhelms the Arboretum where most people enter the Arboretum. I have no idea if other locations were considered, so maybe that was the one and only spot for it, but I am one who really enjoys the Arboretum and really don't like to see it being overshadowed by this huge, looming building.
(And "petty me" also doesn't like that it is a BarrenBrainchild. He and Rodless are the ones who should be erased from PSU memory).

NittPicker

Oct 7, 2021
Barron claimed the new art museum would draw a ridiculously high number of annual patrons. I can't recall the exact number but it was pure fantasy.

leinbacker

Oct 13, 2021
Barron claimed the new art museum would draw a ridiculously high number of annual patrons. I can't recall the exact number but it was pure fantasy.
What does Barron care, he is gone and will leave Penn State a legacy as grand as his surrendering FSU’s media rights to the ACC.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021

View attachment 491675

WE ARE! 😀

😞

It’s a very nice building and architecturally/aesthetically interesting; just not sure how necessary it is. Still, will visit when I get a chance.

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
My only real complaint, outside of the money spent when we are still increasing tuition and other costs that fall to the students, is how the building just overwhelms the Arboretum where most people enter the Arboretum. I have no idea if other locations were considered, so maybe that was the one and only spot for it, but I am one who really enjoys the Arboretum and really don't like to see it being overshadowed by this huge, looming building.
(And "petty me" also doesn't like that it is a BarrenBrainchild. He and Rodless are the ones who should be erased from PSU memory).

I believe the reason the new museum was located there was because there had always been plans to have buildings there going back to the original plans for the Arboretum. Back when they were fundraising for the arboretum, a conservatory was one of the proposed buildings there.

Achowalogan

Oct 12, 2021
I believe the reason the new museum was located there was because there had always been plans to have buildings there going back to the original plans for the Arboretum. Back when they were fundraising for the arboretum, a conservatory was one of the proposed buildings there.
Reason? Barron said they needed space to park the school bus that was bringing students to see the museum….

lemonears

Oct 31, 2021
Total waste of money. The Pa legislature should find out how much was spent on this albatross and cut PSU's funding by that amount.

Nitt1300

Oct 12, 2021
Total waste of money. The Pa legislature should find out how much was spent on this albatross and cut PSU's funding by that amount.
Time will tell. And the PA legislature should be tied up in a bag and dropped into a river.

Reactions: BobPSU92

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
Don't recall the exact number either, but do recall commenting that Barron's number would put the annual attendance higher than that of the Frick Collection in NYC and any of the Philadelphia or Pittsburgh museums.

• Love

PSUFTG2

Jul 1, 2023
Don't recall the exact number either, but do recall commenting that Barron's number would put the annual attendance higher than that of the Frick Collection in NYC and any of the Philadelphia or Pittsburgh museums.
500,000 / YR :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Roughly equal to the attendance at the Philadelphia Museum of Art - IIRC

FWIW: I believe Palmer Museum typically has/had about 30,000 per year - but I expect that is mostly a guess, and mostly students meandering through. I don't think there is any admission charge - not as a regular SOP anyway (couldn't swear to that though).

Last edited:

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
500,000 / YR :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Roughly equal to the attendance at the Philadelphia Museum of Art - IIRC

FWIW: I believe Palmer Museum typically has/had about 30,000 per year - but I expect that is mostly a guess, and mostly students meandering through. I don't think there is any admission charge - not as a regular SOP anyway (couldn't swear to that though).
So he and the Unsinkable Molly intended to walk through the turnstiles in an unending loop? I mean, it's not as if he's that busy these days.

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
So he and the Unsinkable Molly intended to walk through the turnstiles in an unending loop? I mean, it's not as if he's that busy these days.

RMS Molly? What if she starts taking on water?

Latest posts