New Saudi Golf League

Sweetwatergolf

Jan 20, 2022
Does any of the golfers on this site believe Mickelson is working this behind the scenes? I think he is a player wanting it. His game is still a little strong for the Senior circuit and not at the level to STEADILY compete on the PGA level. I know he won a major last year, however it won't happen again IMO. Alot of chatter going on concerning this, just wanted to hear thoughts of King and other golfer's on this site.
Go Cocks for win today on the diamond!

Cackmandu

Feb 2, 2022
Does any of the golfers on this site believe Mickelson is working this behind the scenes? I think he is a player wanting it. His game is still a little strong for the Senior circuit and not at the level to STEADILY compete on the PGA level. I know he won a major last year, however it won't happen again IMO. Alot of chatter going on concerning this, just wanted to hear thoughts of King and other golfer's on this site.
Go Cocks for win today on the diamond!
I can see some of the guys going for the cash, supposedly 17 players, but the pga is the premier golf league and is historically tied to all the majors, so I don’t see the big deal if some want to leave it! Pga might have up their purses and I would ban for life any one that wants to jump ship, not sure if they could ban them from the majors since most have a qualifying stage! Pga for sure though!

Fried Chicken

Jan 30, 2022
Mickelson has admitted he’s working this behind the scene. So that’s not even a question. One, it’s a ton of $$. But I do believe he’s doing it for leverage to change the PGA Tour as he mentioned.

As Rory said, he understands how some of the older guys consider it, because it’s a ton of money. But the young guys, the top players are saying no. I think those guys saying no hopes Phil accomplishes what he wants to do because it’ll benefit their wallets in the long run. But I think they are tired of the questioning, the temptation of it, and they certainly aren’t going to come out and bash the tour as Phil basically did.

Reactions: York cock

King Ward

Jan 20, 2022
The thing that has set golf apart at the professional level is the meritocracy. You have to play well to get paid enough to keep the privilege of playing. Of course, there are many more rich golfers than they used to be due to the breathtaking increase in prize money - as well as the nice endorsement deals that top performers receive. But all of that is tied to performance. Golf works better as an individual sport where you have to continue to earn your exemption if you want to stay out there. Lots of guaranteed money will take something away from professional golf that professional golf should not give up.

Sweetwatergolf

Jan 20, 2022
I can see some of the guys going for the cash, supposedly 17 players, but the pga is the premier golf league and is historically tied to all the majors, so I don’t see the big deal if some want to leave it! Pga might have up their purses and I would ban for life any one that wants to jump ship, not sure if they could ban them from the majors since most have a qualifying stage! Pga for sure though!
Concur, PGA will make sure their purses are enticing for the players. I personally think Phil knows his game is not good enough to win consistently on the PGA now. Trying to find something he possibly can win on, not the Seniors as I mentioned previously.

King Ward

Jan 20, 2022
I see some of the top players came out for the pga tour,namely Dustin and Bryson.
I think that, if you're a top-tier player, you like knowing you can separate yourself using your own ability. By now, those guys know that. Besides money, all of the all-time competitive golfing records were achieved mainly through PGA Tour performance - plus the majors. You can't aspire to eclipse Tiger, Hogan, Snead, or Nicklaus by playing other than the PGA Tour.

Fowlmoodin99

Joined Oct 28, 1998
Jan 20, 2022
Anybody remember the attempt to create a soccer super league in Europe? It crashed spectacularly and tarnished ownership of those onboard clubs. The only outcome here is that PM looks pretty silly.

Reactions: King Ward

Cackmandu

Feb 2, 2022
I think that, if you're a top-tier player, you like knowing you can separate yourself using your own ability. By now, those guys know that. Besides money, all of the all-time competitive golfing records were achieved mainly through PGA Tour performance - plus the majors. You can't aspire to eclipse Tiger, Hogan, Snead, or Nicklaus by playing other than the PGA Tour.
Great point King, that stuff matters to the majority of these guys! And yes, sad to say, but I think Phil stepped in it!

Reactions: King Ward

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
Anybody remember the attempt to create a soccer super league in Europe? It crashed spectacularly and tarnished ownership of those onboard clubs. The only outcome here is that PM looks pretty silly.

Sounds like the Mexican baseball league of 1946 when many US MLBers jumped ship.

Reactions: Fowlmoodin99

Spinal Tap

Jan 22, 2022
This seems to be DOA. I don't know what Norman and Mickelson were expecting. The PGA will remain center of the golf universe because it provides
the best opportunities for the most talented and still can support those who will never sniff a major, but are none the less accomplished players in the sport.

Creek Snake

Feb 16, 2022
I used to like Greg Norman back in the day.However the more you learn about him the less appealing he is.Started with the dumping of his wife for Chris Evert.That didn't work out so well.

King Ward

Jan 20, 2022
I used to like Greg Norman back in the day.However the more you learn about him the less appealing he is.Started with the dumping of his wife for Chris Evert.That didn't work out so well.
He and Evert weren't married but about a minute. I suspect some of that breakup might have stemmed from the resentment of her kids toward the perceived interloper. On another front, Chris just last year lost a sister to a form of ovarian cancer, and Chris has has been diagnosed at Stage 1-C for ovarian cancer - the fast kind. https://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_...chris-evert-diagnosed-stage-1c-ovarian-cancer

Reactions: Creek Snake

Fowlmoodin99

Joined Oct 28, 1998
Jan 20, 2022
Phill Mickel-shun. No one on the tour will want to side up with him. His apology today was a weak effort to cover his tracks.

What in the world was he thinking?

Reactions: Bwellgolf

BattleshipTexas

Jan 23, 2022
I don't think a new tour would appeal to the top guys. It would appeal to the middle of the pack who usually come in between 10 at best or as low as 30 in most tourneys. Those are the guys who might like to win a tournament every so often on a less competitive tour. It would be nice if this were in Europe or Canada or anywhere but the Saudi desert.

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
Phill Mickel-shun. No one on the tour will want to side up with him. His apology today was a weak effort to cover his tracks.

What in the world was he thinking?
No, I didn’t say it!!!
Well it was off the record!!
Really I was misquoted!!
AND it was taken out of context!
BUT you know I really didn’t mean it!
I’m gonna take a four week hiatus to be with my family and ponder life. I’d go rehab but they don’t have a program for being a dumbass.
OK I am apologizing, but in NO WAY did the PGA or my sponsors threaten me.
Honey come on up here, so the folks can get a photo!
I have decided to start a scholarship fund in the name of Jamal Khashoggi for children who’s parents were murdered

Reactions: York cock

King Ward

Jan 20, 2022
No, I didn’t say it!!!
Well it was off the record!!
Really I was misquoted!!
AND it was taken out of context!
BUT you know I really didn’t mean it!
I’m gonna take a four week hiatus to be with my family and ponder life. I’d go rehab but they don’t have a program for being a dumbass.
OK I am apologizing, but in NO WAY did the PGA or my sponsors threaten me.
Honey come on up here, so the folks can get a photo!
I have decided to start a scholarship fund in the name of Jamal Khashoggi for children who’s parents were murdered
He's stepped in the biggest pile of $h!t I've ever known almost any sports figure to step into. And now it's going to cost him large.

York cock

Jan 21, 2022
Like it or not, we need guys like Phil. This is a multi level deal here. He does make some rather eye opening statements, but hey, that’s what we all crave these days. I respect people that tell it like it is, and let the chips fall where they may. Nothing is worse to see a company man or woman toe the line. BORING! Here’s to Phil and how he put it. Am I a fan of the back tracking? No, I think he was talking from the heart but talking too fast. Then tried to ease out of the comments. Prob should have laid low and got someone to spin this for him. I believe that HE BELIEVES every word he said. We can’t have it both ways in the world. That’s what made NASCAR GREAT years ago and that’s why nascar sucks now. Back in the day it was a brash group who spoke their mind. Now it’s a bunch of corporate company men just dribbling on and on about the sponsors. CRAP!

Reactions: AtlJo

Sweetwatergolf

Jan 20, 2022
Like it or not, we need guys like Phil. This is a multi level deal here. He does make some rather eye opening statements, but hey, that’s what we all crave these days. I respect people that tell it like it is, and let the chips fall where they may. Nothing is worse to see a company man or woman toe the line. BORING! Here’s to Phil and how he put it. Am I a fan of the back tracking? No, I think he was talking from the heart but talking too fast. Then tried to ease out of the comments. Prob should have laid low and got someone to spin this for him. I believe that HE BELIEVES every word he said. We can’t have it both ways in the world. That’s what made NASCAR GREAT years ago and that’s why nascar sucks now. Back in the day it was a brash group who spoke their mind. Now it’s a bunch of corporate company men just dribbling on and on about the sponsors. CRAP!
If he really believes what he said, he should not backtrack and spin the situation. He doesn't need the $. I also believe his winning days on the tour are done. The PGA Tour will survive without him. Too many young guys on tour with extreme talent not to enjoy it!

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
He just lost his Callaway deal. I'm sure he didn't count on that. Without getting into the privilege of speaking one's mind (and the consequences thereof), I don't think the PGA Tour is any way broken, which isn't to say it could not be improved. What couldn't?

I think the PGA model will show itself to be the best golf environment going forward. Those who would be bought with money from sketchy sources to play team golf for guaranteed income are not acting in furtherance of the best aspects of the competitive professional game. Let them do it, but if the Tour wants them to make a clear choice, they need to be prepared to make it and no one ought to cry about it.

Cackmandu

Feb 2, 2022
Norman doesn’t seen worried with his this is just the beginning statement earlier this week! I have to laugh! Not surprised with Phil, I had heard he was a little two faced for years from the players perspective! Man this really hurts his legacy, losing the sponsorships will mean nothing when he realizes he will never be involved in anything that has to do with the Ryder Cup again,like King said that stuff is what these guys live for!

York cock

Jan 21, 2022
He just lost his Callaway deal. I'm sure he didn't count on that. Without getting into the privilege of speaking one's mind (and the consequences thereof), I don't think the PGA Tour is any way broken, which isn't to say it could not be improved. What couldn't?

I think the PGA model will show itself to be the best golf environment going forward. Those who would be bought with money from sketchy sources to play team golf for guaranteed income are not acting in furtherance of the best aspects of the competitive professional game. Let them do it, but if the Tour wants them to make a clear choice, they need to be prepared to make it and no one ought to cry about it.
I agree wholeheartedly. But I just love a person who speaks their mind.

Reactions: KingWard

York cock

Jan 21, 2022
Norman doesn’t seen worried with his this is just the beginning statement earlier this week! I have to laugh! Not surprised with Phil, I had heard he was a little two faced for years from the players perspective! Man this really hurts his legacy, losing the sponsorships will mean nothing when he realizes he will never be involved in anything that has to do with the Ryder Cup again,like King said that stuff is what these guys live for!
It can’t be all about the money for Phil. I’m sure he’s privy to things in the pga that we don’t know and that some golfers hate. It is what it is