Next Year and Drew Allar

oldpsubear

Oct 28, 2021
Ok understand that I am old but I need something explained to me. Consensus seems to be that Clifford is doing a good job but the Oline isnt and neither is run game . The coaches arent doing the job to get them ready but it isnt Franklins fault. Reading more and more about how Allar coming next year will make all the difference and we will be so much better. So the question is how is this one kid going to fix all theses problems and make these coaches better.

Reactions: Player2BNamedL8r

Ram20

Oct 25, 2021
None of the recruits are going to matter if we don't somehow find an offensive line. You've seen Barkley behind the Giants offensive years for years, QB's that get sacked a lot don't "work out" anywhere. Literally nothing: facilities, coaches, recruits, matter if we can not find a way to produce an average offensive line. Instead of banging on the school about "commitments to success 365" the first thing out of Franklin's mouth at every press conference should be "we are going to build the most dominant offensive line in the country." He should put it as the principle saying in his slogans about "competitiveness, attitude, blah blah blah.

CyphaPSU

Oct 25, 2021
I agree with the camp that believes the offensive line is what will make or break us as a program on the field. We have had too many recruiting misses along the offensive line over the past several years despite overall having good recruiting classes in most cycles. Something similar can be said for the defensive line (especially in the interior), but the o-line is the biggest recruiting worry for me...and it translates onto the field.

WestSideLion

Oct 6, 2021
I agree with the camp that believes the offensive line is what will make or break us as a program on the field. We have had too many recruiting misses along the offensive line over the past several years despite overall having good recruiting classes in most cycles. Something similar can be said for the defensive line (especially in the interior), but the o-line is the biggest recruiting worry for me...and it translates onto the field.
This offensive coaching staff has been a revolving door since Franklin arrived. At some point we need to start pointing to where the real problem lies. The players have changed and we’re highly sought after by other top programs. The offensive staff has changed with coaches who were successful at other programs.

Reactions: nepalion and Ram20

Ram20

Oct 25, 2021
This offensive coaching staff has been a revolving door since Franklin arrived. At some point we need to start pointing to where the real problem lies. The players have changed and we’re highly sought after by other top programs. The offensive staff has changed with coaches who were successful at other programs.

Every year this offense eventually reverts to James Franklin/Ricky Rahne ball. Designed QB draws with injured QB's is malpractice. Dating back to Trace's last year, our QB's are hurt. We tend to get more and more conservative as seasons go on and Franklin continues to talk "explosives" most of the year well after the offense has become one of the big tens least explosive. Explosive plays are externalities of little plays with good fundamentals. You can't just wish upon a shining star for big plays, they are the biproduct of winning your one on one battles over and over again. He talked about the need for more "explosives" in the running game specifically. How the f*ck can you do that if nobody win's their one on one assignment. Why are you even focused on that? You know what you should be focused on, over all else, an offensive line and system that can get your 2 f*cking yards on 4th down with the game on the line. Chances are, if you have a team that can do that, you'll also have a team that produces explosive plays in the running AND passing game. I have been a franklin defender for a long time, but he is absolutely diluted by his preconceptions of explosive offense(to which he has rarely had).

Oct 27, 2021
I'm not sure if a freshman quarterback is the answer. However, if the same trend continues, I would much rather see a freshmen quarterback get meaningful reps and have a 7-5 season than a 28 year old Sean Clifford play and go 7-5. I would suggest we pick a QB, have MY work with them in the offseason, develop that OC/QB bond, and see what happens.

Mr. Nickels 11

Nov 1, 2021
Every year this offense eventually reverts to James Franklin/Ricky Rahne ball. Designed QB draws with injured QB's is malpractice. Dating back to Trace's last year, our QB's are hurt. We tend to get more and more conservative as seasons go on and Franklin continues to talk "explosives" most of the year well after the offense has become one of the big tens least explosive. Explosive plays are externalities of little plays with good fundamentals. You can't just wish upon a shining star for big plays, they are the biproduct of winning your one on one battles over and over again. He talked about the need for more "explosives" in the running game specifically. How the f*ck can you do that if nobody win's their one on one assignment. Why are you even focused on that? You know what you should be focused on, over all else, an offensive line and system that can get your 2 f*cking yards on 4th down with the game on the line. Chances are, if you have a team that can do that, you'll also have a team that produces explosive plays in the running AND passing game. I have been a franklin defender for a long time, but he is absolutely diluted by his preconceptions of explosive offense(to which he has rarely had).
👏

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Ok understand that I am old but I need something explained to me. Consensus seems to be that Clifford is doing a good job but the Oline isnt and neither is run game . The coaches arent doing the job to get them ready but it isnt Franklins fault. Reading more and more about how Allar coming next year will make all the difference and we will be so much better. So the question is how is this one kid going to fix all theses problems and make these coaches better.

Everyone is making great points here - mostly, it won't change anything. At best you hope Allar is a bit quicker on the draw, can make better passes, and can maybe extend plays (like Big Ben). It's all very doubtful - for as talented as Allar is, it's a tough question to ask a FR QB to come in and be better than any three/four year starter. Ultimately, the line and running game have to be there for any QB to have a chance. And it's not (WRs are in good shape IMO, as is TE).

Reactions: oldpsubear

Grant Green

Oct 12, 2021
Not saying that Allar is going to immediately turn us into a contender, but high caliber QBs (like NFL level) can make a huge difference to a team.
Look at Clemson after Watson/Lawrence, LSU after Burrow. Cam Newton gift wrapped a title for Gene Chizik. Jameis Winston maybe the same for Jimbo.

And I'm not saying that other factors aren't also important (coordinators, OL, defense, etc). Just that an NFL level QB can take you from good to elite.;)

Oct 12, 2021
I think people are excited for Allar to enroll, but I wouldn't say a majority of people are penciling him in as the starter. There's still a general belief that we'd look for someone in the portal for a one year rental if Cliff decides leave.

Got GSPs

Oct 7, 2021
I think you are piecing together some perceived truths but not all of the assumptions are correct.

Drew Allar appears to be the 5 Star stud QB that we have been lacking. He may in fact improve the team and running game, but he won’t improve OL blocking and RB explosiveness. Franklin is in fact redouble for everything that happens, including poor O line and RB play, but has earned the right to improve as opposed to fire a good HC.

FrontierLion

Oct 12, 2021
I think a very mobile quarterback (Michael Vick, Vince Young, even a Justin Fields, etc.) type player can hide offensive line problems simply with their ability to avoid a pass rush, take off and gain yards vs taking a sack or being forced into a bad decision. There are also very successful pro-style QB's in college, like someone mentioned Joe Burrow / Trevor Lawrence type. But those pro-style guys who are successful in college always have a strong OL to fit their game.

If Allar was a really mobile QB, I'd say he could make a (small) difference immediately upon arrival, even with a sub-par OL. But he's not. As a pro-style guy, we better get our act together QUICKLY or he may never live up to the hype.

Reactions: 84lion

PSUAlum

Oct 7, 2021
I think people are excited for Allar to enroll, but I wouldn't say a majority of people are penciling him in as the starter. There's still a general belief that we'd look for someone in the portal for a one year rental if Cliff decides leave.
I am penciling in the Allar/Pribula winner in the spring as the starter. I like Cliff but if he comes back I think that would set the program back 2 years. It would be good for next season but it would come at the cost of Allar playing and preparing for 23. If Clifford comes back, Franklin will never make the switch even if Clifford is hurt. We seen this with Trace. Stevens should have started a game or 2 to allow Trace to get healthy. Best case scenario is they find a QB in the portal that just wants a chance to compete and not guaranteed a job.

84lion

Oct 7, 2021
I remember when there was a vogue in the NFL for "mobile quarterbacks (Michael Vick, yes, but there were others many years before him, names elude me at the moment). My recollection is that these "mobile QBs" got hurt more often than not - I can't recall any that really made a huge difference. They were fun to watch, though. Mostly, today, the NFL has "pocket passers" with some mobility. The rules have changed to avoid QBs getting hurt but it still happens. Whether it's a college or an NFL franchise, having a substandard O-Line kills the team. Can't sustain drives or have a consistent running game - not to mention protect the QB. An NFL team owner or college coach can hide O-Line problems with a mobile QB but as we've seen this year, if he gets hurt, the season tanks.