NFL Viewpoint on Spencer Rattler Saturday Down South

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Pretty accurate assessment. Rattler had 2 unbelievable games, but they were just 2 games. NFL scouts are looking just as much at the first 10 games as they are the last 2. If you're in Rattler's position, as the NFL scout noted, why come out if you're not gonna be drafted in the first few rounds? Worst case scenario he comes back next year and is still a late round pick. Best case scenario he comes back next year and increases his draft position.

It doesn't mean he won't declare anyway, but it won't make a lot of sense.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
Pretty accurate assessment. Rattler had 2 unbelievable games, but they were just 2 games. NFL scouts are looking just as much at the first 10 games as they are the last 2. If you're in Rattler's position, as the NFL scout noted, why come out if you're not gonna be drafted in the first few rounds? Worst case scenario he comes back next year and is still a late round pick. Best case scenario he comes back next year and increases his draft position.

It doesn't mean he won't declare anyway, but it won't make a lot of sense.
Within the second of those games, he had several non-salutary plays.

Reactions: 18IsTheMan

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Within the second of those games, he had several non-salutary plays.

Yes indeed. And not to mention his last season at OU. Scouts aren't going to overlook 15 games in favor of 2 games. He's probably too far removed from his spectacular first season at OU for that to have much impact.

He needs another season. That is, if he thinks he can play a full season like he did his last 2 games. If he doesn't, then maybe he pulls the trigger on jumping to the draft.

Interestingly, who we can get as OC likely hinges somewhat on whether Rattler is here or not while Rattler's decision to go pro may hinge somewhat on who our next OC is. Shane has some balancing work to do.

Maxcy

Joined Jun 20, 2011
Jan 31, 2022
Somebody please have Kenny Pickett tell Rattler that coming back for one more year can make a large difference in your draft slot. A very large difference.

Granted, Pickett was also the beneficiary of a bad QB class when he came out. But he still secured millions of extra dollars and virtually guaranteed an NFL roster spot by playing one more year in college.

Guy in the Back

Jan 22, 2022
He has the arm talent…both strength and accuracy. Needs to develop a feel for the pocket and making better/faster reads.

Fried Chicken

Jan 30, 2022
I’m not sure how much teams will actually elevate Rattler up the draft boards. Everyone seems somewhat set in their opinion of him. He’ll be on an NFL team because of his talent. I just don’t think anybody is going to be willing to hand him the keys to a franchise unless he did something absolutely remarkable…like winning the SEC and getting to the playoffs.

But then again I’m not a GM of an NFL team. And at the same time, some of those guys seem pretty dumb to have the jobs they have. So who knows.

I don’t blame Rattler for whatever decision he makes. Go to the NFL now and get a year under your belt. Or come back and try to improve draft stock. I don’t think he can error too bad one way or the other.