Nice post over on Swan lake in the Papelbon thread

Jan 13, 2008
Posted by BoSoxDawg:

Posted: Today 12:27 PM

We have an unbelievable fanbase

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope that your children never play baseball at ANY level. High school, college or professional. You hear words that sailors dare not use. Papelbon is a free spirited person and used language that anyone associated with the baseball program (coaches and players) laughes off. We have up tight fans that can't have a word like "damn" be said in their presence. But they will go home and watch Lost on ABC and have it said 10 times while their kids sit next to them. I know how most of our fans are. I lose it sometimes and I might say, "Pass the damn ball, Rhodes" or something like that. Then the nasty looks come at me. Usually the person looking at me is 55+ in age and is wearing a hi-liter yellow shirt or some non-MSU color and has been oblivious to the bad sequence of plays on whatever field we are watching, but can pick my voice out of 11,000 or 55,000 people in attendance. But what some of you don't understand is that Papelbon is the biggest thing in pro sports that MSU has right now. He is a god in Boston. Yet, he takes the time to come to MSU events and be in front of the public on campus. I commend him for that. If you want to "*****" about something, "*****" about how 3,000 of our fans (some on this board) wont get rid of their tickets to a football game or basketball game when many people want to attend. They aren't electronically educated well enough to use Stub-Hub, yet their are eloquent Gene's Page Shakespeares. But if Jerious Norwood came to homecoming and stood on the 50 yard line and said let's win this damn football game for the maroon and white, 55,000 would stand as if we had just received a Sugar Bowl bid. If you want to complain about something, complain about how fickle our fanbase is and try to do something about it. Don't worry about what our "rock star status" baseball player says in front of 300 people as he tries to win his second world title. People please.

GO DAWGS!!!

futaba.79

Jun 4, 2007
are posts about "our fans" that are based on the same 4 or 5 holier than thou posters that seem to do all the bitching.

I went over to GP and that's what I saw. Four or five complaining about Paps and three or four complaining about the complainers.

awalkerdog

Feb 18, 2007

captaindawg

Feb 23, 2008
There are extremes on both ends. However, Paps needs to learn some couth when he is speaking to a mixed audience. There is no excuse for any cussing in front of the kids or blue hairs in a public forum.

Im in the military but my jaw dropped when I first heard some of the words coming out of Jack Cristils mouth when I sat next to him at a lunch. However, Ive yet to hear him use that kind of language on the Rick Stansbury Coaches Show or when he gave a speech to the Rotary Club.

Woof Man Jack

Apr 20, 2006
He seems much to reasonable for GP. BoSoxDawg, if you don't already, you really should mix it up here from time to time.

Todd04State

May 2, 2006
Paps also sweared on the David Letterman Show.

Sometimes baseball players have a little bit of a hard time separating their baseball world from the real world.

Especially relief pitchers.

msubball2525

Feb 25, 2008
The guy said some stuff. So what. Is he a priest preaching to a congregation? No...He is a ballplayer. He's a little crazy. That's who baseball players are. You have to be a little crazy to play this game.

He was being himself.

Quitcha bitchin.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Quote:_________________________________________________The guy said some stuff. So what. Is he a priest preaching to a congregation?_________________________________________________
No. That would be Burke Masters.