Nice to see folks paying attention: SPOTLIGHT PA story

PSUFTG2

Jul 1, 2023
It is no secret that Penn State leadership is vitriolic wrt SPOTLIGHT PA, but reasonable oversight - even when it comes from an outside party - is crucial to responsible governance:

Penn State Trustee Scolded for Making ‘Spectacle’ in Push to Name Football Field After Joe Paterno | State College, PA

Leaders of Penn State’s Board of Trustees recently admonished fellow Trustee Anthony Lubrano for creating a “public spectacle” and sharing “confidential information” related to his proposal to name the university’s football field after Joe Paterno.

Board chair Matthew Schuyler and vice chair David Kleppinger suggested Lubrano should have instead raised the matter for discussion and deliberation during a private executive session — an action that likely would have run afoul of the state’s open meetings law.

“You chose not to take that opportunity,” Schuyler and Kleppinger wrote in the March 28 letter, first reported by WJAC. “Your public statement and withdrawn proposal were not only a distraction from the business and academic matters on the Board’s agenda for the February 16th meeting, they reflected poorly on the Board as a whole and therefore were not in the best interest of the institution.”

The exchange again raises concerns about whether the Board of Trustees properly follows Pennsylvania’s open meetings law in conducting its business. Under state law, executive sessions can only be held to discuss pending or current litigation, legal investigations, academic standings and employment or property negotiations.

Melissa Melewsky — media law counsel for the Pennsylvania NewsMedia Association, of which Spotlight PA is a member — said the letter “illustrates a fundamental misunderstanding and potential misuse of executive sessions.”

Last edited:

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
"A native of rural Wisconsin, Massey previously covered faith and religion for the Chattanooga Times Free Press in Southeast Tennessee."

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
It is no secret that Penn State leadership is vitriolic wrt SPOTLIGHT PA, but reasonable oversight - even when it comes from an outside party - is crucial to responsible governance:

Penn State Trustee Scolded for Making ‘Spectacle’ in Push to Name Football Field After Joe Paterno | State College, PA

Leaders of Penn State’s Board of Trustees recently admonished fellow Trustee Anthony Lubrano for creating a “public spectacle” and sharing “confidential information” related to his proposal to name the university’s football field after Joe Paterno.

Board chair Matthew Schuyler and vice chair David Kleppinger suggested Lubrano should have instead raised the matter for discussion and deliberation during a private executive session — an action that likely would have run afoul of the state’s open meetings law.

“You chose not to take that opportunity,” Schuyler and Kleppinger wrote in the March 28 letter, first reported by WJAC. “Your public statement and withdrawn proposal were not only a distraction from the business and academic matters on the Board’s agenda for the February 16th meeting, they reflected poorly on the Board as a whole and therefore were not in the best interest of the institution.”

The exchange again raises concerns about whether the Board of Trustees properly follows Pennsylvania’s open meetings law in conducting its business. Under state law, executive sessions can only be held to discuss pending or current litigation, legal investigations, academic standings and employment or property negotiations.

Melissa Melewsky — media law counsel for the Pennsylvania NewsMedia Association, of which Spotlight PA is a member — said the letter “illustrates a fundamental misunderstanding and potential misuse of executive sessions.”
"......reflected poorly on the Board as a whole and therefore were not in the best interest of the institution.”

Poor reflections on the Board and acting in the best interests of the institution are mutually exclusive when it comes to this clown show.

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
"......reflected poorly on the Board as a whole and therefore were not in the best interest of the institution.”

Poor reflections on the Board and acting in the best interests of the institution are mutually exclusive when it comes to this clown show.

What is in the best interest of the university from the bot’s perspective? Finding the highest interest rate?

marshall23

Oct 7, 2021

New Ship of Fools....listing like the Titanic. But don't rock the boat.

Reactions: MacNit

fairgambit

Oct 12, 2021
I am embarrassed by my niavete in recent years regarding the dysfunctionality of our Board Of Trustees. With a few exceptions, they are a self-serving, inept group, that does little to advance the mission and reputation of this university. Their incompetence is reflected in diminished academic ratings and growing alumni dissatisfaction. Were I a younger man, with
sufficient resources, I would seriously consider running for a seat. Sadly, I am neither and so I sit on my couch, and post here, in a quixotic effort to effect change.

main-qimg-1cefde498ef855669358ecf224f6c816-lq.jpeg

SleepyLion

Sep 1, 2022
I am embarrassed by my niavete in recent years regarding the dysfunctionality of our Board Of Trustees. With a few exceptions, they are a self-serving, inept group, that does little to advance the mission and reputation of this university. Their incompetence is reflected in diminished academic ratings and growing alumni dissatisfaction. Were I a younger man, with
sufficient resources, I would seriously consider running for a seat. Sadly, I am neither and so I sit on my couch, and post here, in a quixotic effort to effect change.

View attachment 553033
Mr. Gambit, even in you old unreasourced state you are better than most of the current board members. I says this without ever meeting you, but the bar is so low, that you certainly would clear it.

• Haha
Reactions: fairgambit