NIL question. If you leave a school…

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Does the NIL from that school end?
Is there actually a thing as “NIL from the school?” At any rate, there’s a contract spelling all that out, or people should be fired for stupidity. Money 101 says you pay money only when you’re getting something positive in exchange. So I would guess that “you transfer out and the money spigot gets turned off,” would show up in the contract.

Obliviax

Oct 12, 2021
Is there actually a thing as “NIL from the school?” At any rate, there’s a contract spelling all that out, or people should be fired for stupidity. Money 101 says you pay money only when you’re getting something positive in exchange. So I would guess that “you transfer out and the money spigot gets turned off,” would show up in the contract.
Agreed. Can a school pay a kid for his NIL? I don't know. But if a company pays him for his NIL, like a car dealership, they may have provisions in the contract to void if he goes to a different school

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Yes, there is termination language in the agreement for both voluntary termination and for breaches. Of course the agree is between the collective or payer and the student athlete. The school is not a party to the agreement.
Emphasized, for myself.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
Does the NIL from that school end?
Depends. If there is a contract, it depends on the languages of the contract. In most cases it probably would. While I can't say for certain, I would guess that Caleb Williams would have continued his deals with Dr. Pepper and Nissan regardless of where he went to school.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
Agreed. Can a school pay a kid for his NIL? I don't know. But if a company pays him for his NIL, like a car dealership, they may have provisions in the contract to void if he goes to a different school
School cannot pay as things currently stand., but watch this space for new developments.

Reactions: Obliviax

Latest posts