OT - Alumni License Plate Touch Up

Nitwit

Oct 12, 2021
My alumni plate must be 15 years old by now and the paint is wearing off down to the bare metal. I don’t want to try to get it replaced because I like having the low number. Has anyone tried to use touch up paint or a marker to freshen up their plate? Is it legal to do this? Thanks

JWB389

Oct 7, 2021
My alumni plate must be 15 years old by now and the paint is wearing off down to the bare metal. I don’t want to try to get it replaced because I like having the low number. Has anyone tried to use touch up paint or a marker to freshen up their plate? Is it legal to do this? Thanks
Mine are wasted too. I originally applied for mine a long time ago and recall there being a lot of red tape. Maybe mis-remembering? I was going to try to replace them, but didn't want to pay to do it. I have no attachment to the plate number, but I do still have my old PA plates (blue plate, yellow numbers) with the same numbers. I was wondering if I could get away with just flipping them back and using the old plates, which still appear to be new. Curious to hear about other experiences.

step.eng69

Oct 12, 2021

Maybe time for a new school?

o_O

Mine are wasted too. I originally applied for mine a long time ago and recall there being a lot of red tape. Maybe mis-remembering? I was going to try to replace them, but didn't want to pay to do it. I have no attachment to the plate number, but I do still have my old PA plates (blue plate, yellow numbers) with the same numbers. I was wondering if I could get away with just flipping them back and using the old plates, which still appear to be new. Curious to hear about other experiences.

Your license plate frame is enough for police in Pa. to pull you over, court rules​

by Angela Couloumbis of Spotlight PA | Aug. 24, 2022

Thousands of drivers in Pennsylvania could now be at greater risk of getting pulled over by police — all because of the frame around their license plate. A state appellate court ruling this week affirmed the right of police officers to stop drivers if any part of their license plate is obscured.

Your license plate frame is enough for police in Pa. to pull you over, court rules - LebTown

I WAS GOING TO GET THIS FOR MY NEW CAR ... PROBABLY WON'T FLY WITH THE COPS :mad:
1661960761340.png

Bison13

Oct 13, 2021

Your license plate frame is enough for police in Pa. to pull you over, court rules

Thousands of drivers in Pennsylvania could now be at greater risk of getting pulled over by police — all because of the frame around their license plate. A state appellate court ruling this week affirmed the right of police officers to stop drivers if any part of their license plate is obscured.

Your license plate frame is enough for police in Pa. to pull you over, court rules - LebTown

I WAS GOING TO GET THIS FOR MY NEW CAR ... PROBABLY WON'T FLY WITH THE COPS :mad:
View attachment 226948
Good grief, doesn't the state have better things to do than this?

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
I don't think most states allow that- it would probably be along the lines of altering the plate. Perhaps speak to the state (and not the Alum Association) and see if you can replace the plates with the same number, just newer plates. Since they are personalized plates you might be able to keep that.

Nitwit

Oct 12, 2021
I don't think most states allow that- it would probably be along the lines of altering the plate. Perhaps speak to the state (and not the Alum Association) and see if you can replace the plates with the same number, just newer plates. Since they are personalized plates you might be able to keep that.
I have looked into it. If I go to the police and they are willing to sign an affidavit saying my old plate is unreadable, which I am not sure they will do, I can send it to the state, and they will send me a new plate, but not with the old Lion Head and old number.

• Sad
Reactions: CVLion

Woodpecker

Oct 7, 2021
I can get my kid to do it. What number do you want?

CVLion

Oct 13, 2021
I had a PSU plate when I lived in Northern Virginia after graduation. I still have it somewhere, and have been meaning to hang it up in my garage. And I’ve been meaning to get a Pennsylvania PSU plate instead of the random generic one I currently have.

I suppose I ought to get my a$$ in gear and do those things. Then again, it’s only been 19 years since I moved back to PA. A man gets busy and all that. 😳

PSU Mike

Oct 6, 2021
I had a PSU plate when I lived in Northern Virginia after graduation. I still have it somewhere, and have been meaning to hang it up in my garage. And I’ve been meaning to get a Pennsylvania PSU plate instead of the random generic one I currently have.

I suppose I ought to get my a$$ in gear and do those things. Then again, it’s only been 19 years since I moved back to PA. A man gets busy and all that. 😳
A7C679C6-C77C-44EF-8F3C-87EFAC9CD53E.jpeg

Nitwit

Oct 12, 2021
The best vanity plate I ever saw was OUIRPNST8

Last edited:

PSU73

Oct 12, 2021
Was in TX for 2 years, very good years for Penn St. I took no crap. Then, back to Ohio and for a couple years had the 2nd plate, An a-hole neighbor kept saying he didn't get it. Guess where he went to school! Then got lucky one year when someone gave up the 3rd plate. Had it for 4 years but dropped it when the State raised the specialty plate fee to more than I was willing to pay.

1661981828749.png

Nitt1300

Oct 12, 2021

Your license plate frame is enough for police in Pa. to pull you over, court rules​

View attachment 226948
got one of these on my SUV

got one of these on my motorcycle

betting I don't get a ticket on either

Yogiman71

Oct 8, 2021
My old pewter one from 1998 is getting faded. I took the wife there in the fall, that was the last time I was in State College.

Attachments

• A59B77FC-32A7-40EB-8300-88E76582788B.jpeg
    A59B77FC-32A7-40EB-8300-88E76582788B.jpeg
    23.3 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: Bison13

PSUAlum

Oct 7, 2021

View attachment 226948
PA State troopers have already said they won't pull anybody over for it and give them a ticket. You will get a ticket for it, if there is another reason to pull you over. I think you are more likely to get a ticket by some of the local police departments. You know the ones that pull people over for dark tinted windows.

91Joe95

Oct 6, 2021
PA State troopers have already said they won't pull anybody over for it and give them a ticket. You will get a ticket for it, if there is another reason to pull you over. I think you are more likely to get a ticket by some of the local police departments. You know the ones that pull people over for dark tinted windows.

What it does is give police a legally defensible excuse if they want to pull you over. Hey we noticed... now that we're here we noticed...

Nitwit

Oct 12, 2021
In investigating all this further, apparently the only thing you can do is actually order a new PSU plate to replace the old one. But first, it’s expensive to do that, and second for some reason the MVD isn’t currently equipped to issue them now anyway. So rather than take the risk of touching up my old plate with some blue paint, I decided to just clean the summbitch off with some household cleaner to at least make it look presentable and live with it as is. It’s just not worth the hassle or risk to start taking a paint brush to it. I guess at some point the automatic toll readers on bridges might not be able to read the number on the plate but I have easypass so I suppose they capture that instead. Who knows.

AvgUser

Oct 7, 2021

View attachment 226948
Festivals Pet peeve of mine. Why does it say alumni? I am an alumnus. Some are alumnae. Married couple might be alumni.

Reactions: PhillyBillyReprise

Bison13

Oct 13, 2021
My old pewter one from 1998 is getting faded. I took the wife there in the fall, that was the last time I was in State College.
I have the same frame, mines a little rougher shape. Was hoping to get one at a game this fall

Reactions: Yogiman

CVLion

Oct 13, 2021
Festivals Pet peeve of mine. Why does it say alumni? I am an alumnus. Some are alumnae. Married couple might be alumni.
It bugs me too. I suppose one could make the weak argument that it’s a shout out honoring our alumni as a whole.

But when someone says, “I’m an alumni,” that really grates on me.

BW Lion

Oct 14, 2021
In investigating all this further, apparently the only thing you can do is actually order a new PSU plate to replace the old one. But first, it’s expensive to do that, and second for some reason the MVD isn’t currently equipped to issue them now anyway. So rather than take the risk of touching up my old plate with some blue paint, I decided to just clean the summbitch off with some household cleaner to at least make it look presentable and live with it as is. It’s just not worth the hassle or risk to start taking a paint brush to it. I guess at some point the automatic toll readers on bridges might not be able to read the number on the plate but I have easypass so I suppose they capture that instead. Who knows.
Just use an enamel paint pen available from any arts supply store. After you're done with the numbers/letters, spray some clear coat over the plate.

EPC FAN

Oct 7, 2021

View attachment 226948
Which flippin’ moron judge made that ruling?

Reactions: step.eng69

Latest posts