OT: Best golf wedges

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I'm currently all Ping in my bag, but I need new loft wedge(s). Pretty sure I'll start with a 56. What says the pack? NOTE: I'll probably take this advice to tell me what to try out at Edwin Watts or Nevada Bob's when I go check them out.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
Really a personal choice issue. There are so many excellent - and expensive - wedges out there. I usually pick up a used wedge in the loft I'm looking for and start building my set from there.

I used to have a hard time with Cleveland wedges, but I currently have a set of RTX zipcore because I picked up a 60* and loved it. The 56* is a sand wedge I can't miss with....but it's probably not for everyone.

I use a 46* Vokey as my highest lofed wedge, because it plays more like a blade.

The one thing I like about the stronger lofted irons out there today, is it makes room in your bag for more wedges. My current 6I is the same loft as my 5 hybrid, so I took the hybrid out of the bag.

boatsandhoes

Sep 6, 2012
I'm currently all Ping in my bag, but I need new loft wedge(s). Pretty sure I'll start with a 56. What says the pack? NOTE: I'll probably take this advice to tell me what to try out at Edwin Watts or Nevada Bob's when I go check them out.
Vokeys, the others are 2nd

ETA they play more for a ball striker. There are more forgiving options if you don’t get to play as much. If you play a lot titleist wedges works are their custom grinds. More pricey = custom fit. You can have your own personal stamp on it. Maybe “1941, 17u”

52, 56, 60 with varying bounces

Last edited:

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I just realized my Vokey raw wedges are almost 25 years old now.
...thats like playing clubs from 1975 when I got em.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

TimberBeast

Aug 23, 2012
Vokeys, the others are 2nd

ETA they play more for a ball striker. There are more forgiving options if you don’t get to play as much. If you play a lot titleist wedges works are their custom grinds. More pricey = custom fit. You can have your own personal stamp on it. Maybe “1941, 17u”

52, 56, 60 with varying bounces
Correct, Vokey's all day every day.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
When I first started playing I bought a set of Giant Golf Wedges on EBay for like $30. Used them for awhile and bought a set of Pings. Couldn't hit them for **** so I bought a set of Clevelands. Couldn't hit them either. Currently have that $30 set of Giants in my bag. Found another set on eBay cheap and bought them for a backup because I'm sure Giant Golf no longer exists.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Somewhat related. Is anyone playing one length irons or tried them? I've always been intrigued so I put a set on my Christmas list. Mrs Bite bought them for me. First time using them I played the best I've played in forever. I was hitting greens like I knew how to play golf. Took them out two days later and couldn't hit a ball straight to save my life, I'm talking wicked slice. Covid interrupted my playing but I'm about to try them again. Anyone else tried them?

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
Somewhat related. Is anyone playing one length irons or tried them? I've always been intrigued so I put a set on my Christmas list. Mrs Bite bought them for me. First time using them I played the best I've played in forever. I was hitting greens like I knew how to play golf. Took them out two days later and couldn't hit a ball straight to save my life, I'm talking wicked slice. Covid interrupted my playing but I'm about to try them again. Anyone else tried them?

One of my golf buddies has them, still uses them, but he doesn't hit them very well. I don't know if he'd play any better with traditional irons however.

For the original question, I have MacDaddy 60, Volley 56, and Callaway 50 Rogue + gap wedge. Pitching wedge is also Callaway Rogue + 46. I don't use the 60 much this time of the year because the course we play 90% of the time isn't overseeded and you're essentially hitting off hardpan. Years ago, I had a set of Tommy Armor Titanium irons. I got rid of them because the faces had become less "sticky". Nothing I've had since then hit the ball nearly as far as those, but I've aged a bit too.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
This brings up a good point… how much has golf club technology changed in the last 20 years? Cause I watched a lot of good golf shots on tv back in 2004.

I’m pretty sure a pro golfer could take a set of Cleveland 588’s he just found at Goodwill and beat my brains out.

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
This brings up a good point… how much has golf club technology changed in the last 20 years? Cause I watched a lot of good golf shots on tv back in 2004.

I’m pretty sure a pro golfer could take a set of Cleveland 588’s he just found at Goodwill and beat my brains out.
Shaft changes do and will make more impact, than somewhat recent club head design.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I just bought a Krank super Hi COR driver. Haven't hit it yet but I'll update you when I do but the theory behind it makes sense to me. It's designed for <85 mph swing speed. We all buy the newest greatest driver that's designed for tour pros that have a swing speed of 115 plus and that's just crazy.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
I am in the market for a whole set soon. My clubs are about 16 years old and shafts have been shortened.

As I age, my swing speeds have dropped and so has my ball striking worsened.
Considering hybrids of some sort but wedges? I had not thought much about, I will keep what got until I get my new set of clubs to see my gaps etc..

I find myself bumping running a helluva lot more these days.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008

I don't even know where my clubs are right now and when I played last year. It was the first time in at least 2 years.
I wouldn't have hit the ball any better or more consistently with newer clubs.

Irons with steel shafts?...new ones won't be measurable better now when put in the hands of actual golfers on actual courses. And that goes for 'game improvement' irons as well as 'players' irons.
Shaft technology is measurable better now. A lot of driver shafts on $300-500 drivers 20 years ago were absolute crap- just wildly inconsistent in twist and flex.

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
I am in the market for a whole set soon. My clubs are about 16 years old and shafts have been shortened.

As I age, my swing speeds have dropped and so has my ball striking worsened.
Considering hybrids of some sort but wedges? I had not thought much about, I will keep what got until I get my new set of clubs to see my gaps etc..

I find myself bumping running a helluva lot more these days.
Don't know how old you are, but over the past couple of years I've found that my 2 hybrid 17 degree, 3 hybrid 20, and my 5 hybrid much easier to hit than mid and long irons. They just take a little getting used to.

I don't even know where my clubs are right now and when I played last year. It was the first time in at least 2 years.

Irons with steel shafts?...new ones won't be measurable better now when put in the hands of actual golfers on actual courses. And that goes for 'game improvement' irons as well as 'players' irons.
Shaft technology is measurable better now. A lot of driver shafts on $300-500 drivers 20 years ago were absolute crap- just wildly inconsistent in twist and flex.
One young golfer over the weekend - don't remember his name but he must be an up and comer on the PGA - said he was embarrassed to say that he uses the stock Ping driver shaft. Says he hits it better than any other he's tried.

I had stiff steel in my last set but went with composite set on my current set. I can't really tell any difference. I doubt that at my level a personalize shaft with twist and frequency, or what ever the criteria are, would make any difference in my game

Last edited:
Reactions: Hot Rock

goindhoo

Feb 29, 2008
Another vote for Vokey wedges. Ive tried others, but they just dont have the same feel.

Was it Tiger that played a new set of wedges every week? He wanted fresh grooves for every tournament. Not a bad idea if you can afford it.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Pretty sure my 56° vokey becomes illegal in October... Of course the way I have been shanking it all winter on the simulator that could be a good thing.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
If you're a Ping guy I would look at their new S159 wedges. I play with their older Glide wedges and not sure if the S159's are supposed to replace those but I see TGW have plenty of Glides too. I'm not a total Ping guy as the wedges and putter are the only Ping's I have in the bag.

Reactions: horshack.sixpack

STATEgrad04

Mar 3, 2008
I am going to recommend the sub 70 clubs. They are really nice clubs, similar to PXG, but not nearly as costly. They have great wedges and irons, and you can customize them to your shaft/loft needs. Just check them out before making a decision. https://www.golfsub70.com/

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

This is an interesting video comparing old Ping Eye2 to the new G425. Personally, I dream of the day that tweaking my clubs, or the kind of ball make a difference in my game. Consistency is my #1 issue.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I never need wedges. I just that good. I am never in the rough. ********

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
Don't know how old you are, but over the past couple of years I've found that my 2 hybrid 17 degree, 3 hybrid 20, and my 5 hybrid much easier to hit than mid and long irons. They just take a little getting used to.

One young golfer over the weekend - don't remember his name but he must be an up and comer on the PGA - said he was embarrassed to say that he uses the stock Ping driver shaft. Says he hits it better than any other he's tried.

I had stiff steel in my last set but went with composite set on my current set. I can't really tell any difference. I doubt that at my level a personalize shaft with twist and frequency, or what ever the criteria are, would make any difference in my game
60 years old, bad back, shoulder surgery, arthritis and my swing speeds have slowed. My ball striking is getting worse every year. At one time I hit a 3 iron 230 yards and a 4 over 200 and now? I can't even hit them unless they are on a tee. Once I get passed the 7 iron, it's pretty much a crap shoot if I hit it solid.

I have 5 wood that I use from 185-210, depending on how I flight it, but I can't even hit a 3 wood properly so it goes about the same distance. until I get lucky and catch it and get a few more out of it's roll.

I kept thinking, I need to get my game in somewhat decent shape before I got to get fitted but that day never seems to get here. I may as well go figure it out sooner rather than later get it. Ole' arthritis in my hands cause grip issues as well. it's a *****

Hybrids that transition from irons to woods seem to be the way I am leaning. I just can't hit longer clubs solidly.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

I recall in high school playing a really good tennis team member. I had a new Head Director racket and he decided to play with an old tiny wooden one for fun. He beat the crap outta me...

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
This is an interesting video comparing old Ping Eye2 to the new G425. Personally, I dream of the day that tweaking my clubs, or the kind of ball make a difference in my game. Consistency is my #1 issue.
Thats a cool comparison. Those Eye2 irons were legendary in terms of how long they were on the market and how popular they were even with really good players. Seeing the loft difference between Ping clubs from 40 years ago and now was interesting and definitely explains most of the distance variance.
My i3 blade irons are from late '99- wonder what they would be compared to some current Ping irons.

Ultimately though, you can get the same distance with 1 extra club, or maybe 2, since the lofts are different. Its not like a 7 iron goes as far as a 5 iron used to because of wildly new tech if the overwhelming reason is a change in loft.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
60 years old, bad back, shoulder surgery, arthritis and my swing speeds have slowed. My ball striking is getting worse every year. At one time I hit a 3 iron 230 yards and a 4 over 200 and now? I can't even hit them unless they are on a tee. Once I get passed the 7 iron, it's pretty much a crap shoot if I hit it solid.

I have 5 wood that I use from 185-210, depending on how I flight it, but I can't even hit a 3 wood properly so it goes about the same distance. until I get lucky and catch it and get a few more out of it's roll.

I kept thinking, I need to get my game in somewhat decent shape before I got to get fitted but that day never seems to get here. I may as well go figure it out sooner rather than later get it. Ole' arthritis in my hands cause grip issues as well. it's a *****

Hybrids that transition from irons to woods seem to be the way I am leaning. I just can't hit longer clubs solidly.
Sounds like you’re the perfect candidate for the one length irons. They are all the same length as a seven iron.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
Can’t go wrong with a Vokey wedge.
Cleveland is good too.
Make sure you get the right bounce.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
.... I had a new Head Director ....
Sarcastic Willy Wonka GIF

• Wow

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Tony Bishop, Vicksburg guy, owns Nevada Bob's....he'll set you up with what you need.
Tony fit me for a 52 and a 56. New Ping's is what he recommended because it is what I'm used to. Had me hitting 0 off center with the 56, off the turf, on the simulator, with no pressure, while I wasn't still pissed off about my last shot...I'm sure it will translate to the course!

Reactions: InTheIttaBenaHotSun

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
I have stopped playing golf due to back issues but I had a beautiful set of wedges when I played. However there was one major issue I had with them. It was that they were shiny chrome heads and the 56 degree wedge would absolutely blind me when I would address the ball. Get raw or oil or some other matte finish.