OT: Extended Vehicle Warranty.

Ghost of OM

Oct 30, 2021
Purchased from the manufacturer - Ford, GM, etc, they can be good. They are generally extensions of the original factory warranty and honored at any company store nationwide. The off brand ones that come in the mail seemingly weekly aren’t worth the paper in the envelope.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
Purchased from the manufacturer - Ford, GM, etc, they can be good. They are generally extensions of the original factory warranty and honored at any company store nationwide. The off brand ones that come in the mail seemingly weekly aren’t worth the paper in the envelope.
Agree. It's one of those things that one hopes to never use, but you don't want to think about the cost of repairing or replacing the electronic systems in newer vehicles.

laKavosiey-st lion

Oct 30, 2021
Really depends on the vehicle. I bought a $1500 CPO on my TT. Only used $900, lost $500. But if I buy a Porsche or C8, I’ll 100% have a warranty

nittanyfan333

Oct 6, 2021
Personally I don’t think they’re worth it. Same with home warranties. Save the money you would pay for the warranty for if anything ever happens, and take care of your vehicles. But it also depends on your mechanical capabilities. Outside of a major stuff, I do most of my own work. 120k miles on my ‘18 ram and no issues. About to change tranny oil and recently did a full break and rotor job.

Now that i think about it, I’ve spent more money on my Harley than our truck/van

Reactions: Achowalogan

Bosco2

Oct 25, 2021
Bought one for the first time in 2022 when got my Hyundai Sonata Hybrid. Paid $1500 for an extra 5 years of bumper-to-bumper coverage. Problem is, I'll probably hit the coverage limits in less than 8 years. I've got coverage for 10 years or 100,000 miles.

s1uggo72

Oct 12, 2021
Personally I don’t think they’re worth it. Same with home warranties. Save the money you would pay for the warranty for if anything ever happens, and take care of your vehicles. But it also depends on your mechanical capabilities. Outside of a major stuff, I do most of my own work. 120k miles on my ‘18 ram and no issues. About to change tranny oil and recently did a full break and rotor job.

Now that i think about it, I’ve spent more money on my Harley than our truck/van
Most of that is not covered under an x warranty. Brakes oil change etc

Reactions: LB99

leinbacker

Oct 13, 2021
Are they worth it?

Does anyone have one?

no idea, but if you do decide to buy a manufacturer extended warranty, call around at different dealerships for a price. They likely vary.

Car message boards use to be a good place to ask, there use to be dealerships around the country that sold them with little markup as they dealt with volume. It may still be the case.

BW Lion

Oct 14, 2021
Are they worth it?

Does anyone have one?
Depends on the vehicle you’re purchasing.

Did you know that manufacturer’s extended warranties are sold by every similar brand dealership in the USA and can be purchased at large discounts relative to what the dealership from where you’re purchasing your vehicle will offer?

I semi-recently purchased OEM warranties from remote dealers in SD and KY, saving 50% versus what my local dealer was offering.

Reactions: JohnJumba

JohnJumba

Oct 7, 2021
After doing some research, Consumer Reports states that in most cases, avoid buying the after market ones, and often the dealer ones. There are instances where buying one is situation dependent.

Poor Ice T.

Reactions: BobPSU92

nittanyfan333

Oct 6, 2021
Most of that is not covered under an x warranty. Brakes oil change etc

That was two examples of the things that I handle myself. I didnt' feel like providing the entire list of maintenance and repairs that I do myself. I've had many warranties before and know what is covered under them.

nittanyfan333

Oct 6, 2021
Bought one for the first time in 2022 when got my Hyundai Sonata Hybrid. Paid $1500 for an extra 5 years of bumper-to-bumper coverage. Problem is, I'll probably hit the coverage limits in less than 8 years. I've got coverage for 10 years or 100,000 miles.

I think that's my biggest hang up. If you're buying a new or almost new/certified vehicle, you're going to get > 100k miles out of it, which will blow you out of the extended vehicle warranty (the original question posed). Especially if you keep up with MX. additionally, an outside warranty company that increases you to X amount of miles, again with today's vehicles, i'd think you're better off just saving your monthly money to use if something ever arises

TiogaLion

Oct 31, 2021
Are they worth it?

Does anyone have one?
My daughters boyfriend was given an immaculate 2014 Ford Escape Titanium with about 95K miles on it from his grandmother. Well, he used the vehicle for about a year when the Transmission went and he had to get a new or rebuilt one. Turned out that granny had one of those third party aftermarket warranties. It was a bit of a hassle but the company paid for the repair and provided a rental car for a full 4 weeks while the vehicle was at the shop. It took so long because the warranty company was haggling with the mechanic but it eventually got done. This took place about 6 months ago in October.

This is the only real life experience I've heard of. I always thought these warranties sounded like a scam but it worked out well for my daughters boyfriend.

s1uggo72

Oct 12, 2021
My daughters boyfriend was given an immaculate 2014 Ford Escape Titanium with about 95K miles on it from his grandmother. Well, he used the vehicle for about a year when the Transmission went and he had to get a new or rebuilt one. Turned out that granny had one of those third party aftermarket warranties. It was a bit of a hassle but the company paid for the repair and provided a rental car for a full 4 weeks while the vehicle was at the shop. It took so long because the warranty company was haggling with the mechanic but it eventually got done. This took place about 6 months ago in October.

This is the only real life experience I've heard of. I always thought these warranties sounded like a scam but it worked out well for my daughters boyfriend.
buying a 10 yr old car with 95k on it, would make sense.

Nitt1300

Oct 12, 2021
Drive it like you bought it.
Change the fluids when or before maintenance schedule says to.
Change the filters the same way. Yeah, all of the filters, knucklehead.
Don't cheap out on oil- buy only good stuff.
Rotate your tires, and keep air in them.
Wash it, including the undercarriage.
Buy good floormats, and keep them clean.

Hugh Laurie

Oct 6, 2021
Whether extended warranties are worth it or not depends on how long you intend to keep the vehicle and how well you maintain it. Because I normally keep my cars until the wheels fall off, I purchased a manufacture's extended warranty through the dealer when I bought my last car which was certified and 3 years old with 15k miles. I drive a high end car and the extended warranty i bought has paid for itself multiple times over. My service rep told me they won't process 3rd party extended warranties and its up to the car owner to process the claim themselves. Buying one through the manufacturer is the way to go.

Reactions: JohnJumba

s1uggo72

Oct 12, 2021
Some mega dealers , ones with multiple lines in multiple locations, sell their own warranty’s , maybe reserve a little of the money, for repairs , then take the rest and invest it. Sometimes they domicile the money off shore Ie Cayman Islands. Just another profit center. In theory they are good everywhere in reality it’s up to the repair shops