OT: Happy 75th Birthday to Billy Joel...

MtNittany

Oct 12, 2021
Richie Furay (Buffalo Springfield, Poco) is 80
Tom Petersson (Cheap Trick) is 74
John Edwards (Status Quo) is 71
David Gahan (Depeche Mode) is 62
Any of those OK?
If someone once liked it, it's not for him apparently. It's one of his shticks.

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
Saw Billy & band tossing back a few at the old Sheraton Inn in Scranton, circa 1976, a year prior to The Stranger album launching him into the stratosphere

Reactions: BobPSU92 and PSUJam

MtNittany

Oct 12, 2021
Saw Billy & band tossing back a few at the old Sheraton Inn in Scranton, circa 1976, a year prior to The Stranger album launching him into the stratosphere
Was there an old man sitting next to him making love to his tonic and gin?

BTW - correct me if I'm wrong... I always thought this meant he was "nursing" his drink. Making it last an hour. Because he's on a budget, but needs to be there.

• Haha
Reactions: rudedude

PSU87

Oct 12, 2021
Pop music is for the masses (sheeple)
“bottle of re….STFU
To paraphrase Gunny Highway....
I've played more notes, sung more words and strummed more chords than all you numbnuts put together.

So I say with extreme confidence, you don't know what the eff you're talking about.

Reactions: MtNittany

laKavosiey-st lion

Oct 30, 2021
To paraphrase Gunny Highway....
I've played more notes, sung more words and strummed more chords than all you numbnuts put together.

So I say with extreme confidence, you don't know what the eff you're talking about.
A Joe Strummer or B Billy Joel?

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
old man relax GIF

• Love
Reactions: laKavosiey-st lion

MtNittany

Oct 12, 2021
Can you give Billy credit for the line "...before the mafia took over Mexico." at least?

There are/were people paying $1K a ticket to watch Don Henley mime lyrics. At least Joel puts on an honest show.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fac

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
My best Billy Joel memory...

Fall of 98, he opened his tour at the BJC. They rented out the building for a couple of days before the concert to do dress rehearsals. I was working Event Staff at the BJC at the time, and one of the days, me and one other guy had the job of keeping the bowl clear and making sure no one came in during his rehearsal. It was basically a 2 hour private concert. Pretty awesome as I grew up a big Billy Joel fan.

[email protected]

Oct 7, 2021
Walking along a very quiet stretch of the Sydney harbor waterfront in 1991 when a couple with a little girls was walking towards me. The guy was short and kinda schlubby while the gal was tall, blonde and gorgeous. Yup mr and mrs Joel and daughter. He was doing a concert in Sydney I read later in the Herald. They looked happy. I shook his hand and said hello Mr joel as we passed.

Christie was absolutely stunning

Last edited:
Reactions: BobPSU92

WSTLion87

Oct 10, 2021
JMHO... His music was terrific before he met Christie after meeting Christie meh...

Nittany1865Farmer

Oct 12, 2021
Not mentioned yet, but I always liked "Allentown". The lyrics really do describe the rise and fall of many of the manufacturing cities and towns in Pennsylvania after the Second World War. Though the video gets cheesy towards the end, the message that he sings really reverberates to anyone who has seen their hometown slowly lose businesses and dies a slow, painful decline into a vast wasteland of Dollar General stores and Thrift stores....

laKavosiey-st lion

Oct 30, 2021
Walking along a very quiet stretch of the Sydney harbor waterfront in 1991 when a couple with a little girls was walking towards me. The guy was short and kinda schlubby while the gal was tall, blonde and gorgeous. Yup mr and mrs Joel and daughter. He was doing a concert in Sydney I read later in the Herald. They looked happy. I shook his hand and said hello My Joel as we passed.

Christie was absolutely stunning
Flag shown here

Lion84

Oct 7, 2021
Not mentioned yet, but I always liked "Allentown". The lyrics really do describe the rise and fall of many of the manufacturing cities and towns in Pennsylvania after the Second World War. Though the video gets cheesy towards the end, the message that he sings really reverberates to anyone who has seen their hometown slowly lose businesses and dies a slow, painful decline into a vast wasteland of Dollar General stores and Thrift stores....

Saw him last night at MSG - crowd sang Happy Birthday to him. Good show and he sang Allentown. Played for over 2 hours and dug pretty deep into older more obscure material.

Reactions: rudedude and bbrown