OT: Interesting article if you are a Marshall Tucker fan or just a guitar player

IOPGCock

Jan 30, 2022
Did not know he was a finger picker like Lindsey Buckingham
Fretprints: Toy Caldwell | Vintage Guitar® magazine
Thanks for sharing. All of my family is from Spartanburg (I was born there). This band is essentially my extended family’s life’s soundtrack. It’s multigenerational and an important thread in the family fabric. It’s nice to know there’s still some MTB fans left.

I had a friend who was an aspiring musician. Was turning him onto MTB and we were listening to a small tape player at the bus stop the day Toy was found dead. We were listening to the A New Life record and Blue Ridge Mountain Sky was playing. The battery died. We found out the news later that day. That’s always stuck with me for some reason.

Cackmandu

Feb 2, 2022
Thanks for sharing. All of my family is from Spartanburg (I was born there). This band is essentially my extended family’s life’s soundtrack. It’s multigenerational and an important thread in the family fabric. It’s nice to know there’s still some MTB fans left.

I had a friend who was an aspiring musician. Was turning him onto MTB and we were listening to a small tape player at the bus stop the day Toy was found dead. We were listening to the A New Life record and Blue Ridge Mountain Sky was playing. The battery died. We found out the news later that day. That’s always stuck with me for some reason.
Wow, yeah I guess that would stick with you!

I lived in Spartanburg for a few years in the early eighty's and my roommates family had a nice little bluegrass band out of Lake Lure, they did a demo tape at Toy's studio and we sat in the booth with the sound guy who was pretty blown away, I'll never forget him saying, man I wish Toy was here to hear this!

Prestonyte

Jun 1, 2022
We were so lucky to grow up in a time when real music was prevalent with no computer enhancements necessary and played by real talented musicians who were also down to earth ''normal neighbor'' type guys. This is still my favorite music after all these years.

Go Gamecocks

Jan 24, 2022
Toy may have been more influential than given credit for. If you learned MTB songs, you learned some blues, jazz & country/western licks.
Also, he used a Les Paul Std, which was not the typical guitar for any of those genres.
We played several of their songs when I was in a country/variety band: "Long Hard Ride", "Heard it in a Love Song", & "Desert Skies".
Also, he was a Vietnam vet with a purple heart. Tons of respect.

Reactions: Prestonyte

Slim Chickens Gamecock

Feb 2, 2022
Toy may have been more influential than given credit for. If you learned MTB songs, you learned some blues, jazz & country/western licks.
Also, he used a Les Paul Std, which was not the typical guitar for any of those genres.
We played several of their songs when I was in a country/variety band: "Long Hard Ride", "Heard it in a Love Song", & "Desert Skies".
Also, he was a Vietnam vet with a purple heart. Tons of respect.
Mad respect and per usual you are spot on Prestonyte

Reactions: Prestonyte

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
My uncle ran around with Toy. My dad would not let my uncle tell me stories about him running around with Toy. A real musician.