OT: So I just inherited a Webber Kettle Grill...

MtNittany

Oct 12, 2021
...from next to our dumpster this AM. It's in good shape, but has a little rust to take care of. Question is - what the hell do I do with it?

I have a Webber Q that I have for grilling (never use it - just sous vide steaks and griddle burgers), so I don't see me loading it up w/ charcoal to cook a few burgers.

You meat smokers out there (yeah - you know who you are) - is there any way to turn this thing into an electric smoker? I also have a little Master (Hah!) Built smoker that rusts more than my Jeep, with a broken heating element that needs to go. My idea is (with or without a vertical extension) to turn it into an electric smoker w/ a new heating element and an inkbird temperature control device.

Any thoughts?

Reactions: LionJim

WanderingSpectator

Oct 12, 2021
I gave up using my built in grill
and only use my Weber charcoal. Even for a couple of burgers. The trick is using the chimney starter with newspaper and NOT using lighter fluid.

I smoke ribs and learned how to leverage indirect heat. Cedar plank salmon is one of our favorites.

Nothing beats cracking open a cold Yuengling and enjoying while the coals come up to temp.

MtNittany

Oct 12, 2021
I gave up using my built in grill
and only use my Weber charcoal. Even for a couple of burgers. The trick is using the chimney starter with newspaper and NOT using lighter fluid.

I smoke ribs and learned how to leverage indirect heat. Cedar plank salmon is one of our favorites.

Nothing beats cracking open a cold Yuengling and enjoying while the coals come up to temp.
I'm more of a Ron Popeil guy - you know, "Set it and forget it".

Bwifan

Oct 12, 2021
I am still old school. Currently drinking a Corona and grilling a steak on my Green Egg

Reactions: PSU87
Mar 25, 2024
...from next to our dumpster this AM. It's in good shape, but has a little rust to take care of. Question is - what the hell do I do with it?

I have a Webber Q that I have for grilling (never use it - just sous vide steaks and griddle burgers), so I don't see me loading it up w/ charcoal to cook a few burgers.

You meat smokers out there (yeah - you know who you are) - is there any way to turn this thing into an electric smoker? I also have a little Master (Hah!) Built smoker that rusts more than my Jeep, with a broken heating element that needs to go. My idea is (with or without a vertical extension) to turn it into an electric smoker w/ a new heating element and an inkbird temperature control device.

Any thoughts?
very good for making traditional paella over charcoal. Ours fit paella pan perfectly. Plus make various protein and rice type dishes in a pot inside the kettle.

Reactions: LionJim

BW Lion

Oct 14, 2021

Any thoughts?
I’m not a fan of electric element smokers.

With just a few small holes drilled through the bottom and a burner, I could convert that into a propane smoker in about 45 minutes complete with a soap test of the connections.

Last edited:

MtNittany

Oct 12, 2021

With just a few small holes drilled through the bottom, I could convert that into a propane smoker in about 45 minutes complete with a soap test of the connections.
I love inkbird though. I trust them to override the thermostat in my viking beer tapster. Also to sous vide. They don't fail.

BostonNit

Oct 27, 2021
I converted to using Blackstone Griddles
With Blackstone being all the rage, I guess I have to say I don't quite get it. Much of the reason I cook outside is to use real fire to cook. Something about that primal smokiness of charred meat. But the outdoor griddle thing to me seems just like pan frying a burger except outside on your deck.

Can someone explain to me the huge draw? I can see it being great if you had a bunch of friends over for breakfast but I can count on one hand the number of times I've ever done that.

Help me understand the Blackstone "hook" that's drawn so many in? What am I missing in the equation?

Reactions: PSU87 and OhioLion

MtNittany

Oct 12, 2021
With Blackstone being all the rage, I guess I have to say I don't quite get it. Much of the reason I cook outside is to use real fire to cook. Something about that primal smokiness of charred meat. But the outdoor griddle thing to me seems just like pan frying a burger except outside on your deck.

Can someone explain to me the huge draw? I can see it being great if you had a bunch of friends over for breakfast but I can count on one hand the number of times I've ever done that.

Help me understand the Blackstone "hook" that's drawn so many in? What am I missing in the equation?
Good for searing, good for burgers, good for cheese steaks. Burgers taste better sometimes sitting in their own fat instead of letting it drain down into coals.

MtNittany

Oct 12, 2021

With just a few small holes drilled through the bottom and a burner, I could convert that into a propane smoker in about 45 minutes complete with a soap test of the connections.
How to regulate the temperature with gas though? Like I said, the ink bird stuff has proven to me to be within a degree or two. Every time.

PSU87

Oct 12, 2021

Good for searing, good for burgers, good for cheese steaks. Burgers taste better sometimes sitting in their own fat instead of letting it drain down into coals.
Exactly....it is a tool like any other: it has its uses. Burgers, cheesesteaks, fajitas, breakfast, fried rice....

But for steaks, fish, chicken....its almost always going on the Big Green Egg

Reactions: Bwifan

MtNittany

Oct 12, 2021
Exactly....it is a tool like any other: it has its uses. Burgers, cheesesteaks, fajitas, breakfast, fried rice....

As far as steaks, we'll have to sous videdisagree. Searing is important and it can be done a number of ways (even deep frying), but my best steaks have always started in a warm bath.

PSU87

Oct 12, 2021
As far as steaks, we'll have to sous videdisagree. Searing is important and it can be done a number of ways (even deep frying), but my best steaks have always started in a warm bath.
We will....Sous vide for chicken breasts, asparagus, carrots ...but despite numerous attempts sous vide isn't surpassing traditional fire cooking for me on steaks.

Bwifan

Oct 12, 2021

I have the Flame Boss for my Green Egg. That thing is amazing to keep a constant temp for smoking. Love being out running errands and I can check the temp on my phone. Also gets that temp up high super quick for grilling.

MtNittany

Oct 12, 2021
We will....Sous vide for chicken breasts, asparagus, carrots ...but despite numerous attempts sous vide isn't surpassing traditional fire cooking for me on steaks.
Chicken breasts in the bath is a gimme, you have to agree. Take 4 breasts individually sealed and get them to 150 degrees. At that point you can do anything from tossing them in the freezer to making fajitas or stir fry.

The burgers at work are really good, but grilled over gas. Work food (Country Club food) is just really good. The Chix salad is great, they do the Club right (w/ both ham and turkey), the hot dogs are great. The chef gives me extra turkey on the side to take home for my 18 y/o cat.

BW Lion

Oct 14, 2021
I love inkbird though. I trust them to override the thermostat in my viking beer tapster. Also to sous vide. They don't fail.
In-line needle valve downstream of the propane regulator.

I need to go experiment with an inkbird. I am a ThermoPro griller/smoker but am interested in learning about different tools.

Last edited:

Latest posts