OT: The 10 greatest college basketball programs all-time

saturdaysarebetter

Jun 28, 2018
I "only" go back to the late '60s and am unfamiliar with the great Philadelphia college programs' success prior to that.

I'm interested in seeing which basketball programs overcome personal bias to make your top 10 and those that make it by consensus.

Here are 11 that merit consideration since the late '60s (in alphabetical order):
Duke
Georgetown
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisville
Michigan State
North Carolina
Syracuse
UCLA
Villanova

Which schools are in your all-time top 10?

VicVaselino

Oct 12, 2021
I "only" go back to the late '60s and am unfamiliar with the great Philadelphia college programs' success prior to that.

I'm interested in seeing which basketball programs overcome personal bias to make your top 10 and those that make it by consensus.

Here are 11 that merit consideration since the late '60s (in alphabetical order):
Duke
Georgetown
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisville
Michigan State
North Carolina
Syracuse
UCLA
Villanova

Syracuse blows. Screw 'em.

Shadow99

Oct 25, 2021

Duke
Georgetown
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisville
Michigan State
North Carolina
Syracuse
UCLA
Villanova

North Carolina
Full disclosure UNC has been my favorite basketball team since childhood...:sneaky:

but fwiw I know one of our late great brethren from this site would be in agreement! :)......:(

Last edited:

SLion_on3

Apr 12, 2022

Duke
Georgetown
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisville
Michigan State
North Carolina
Syracuse
UCLA
Villanova

How quickly people forget that UCONN has 4 NCs in 15 years. No other school on list can say that.

psupride1997

Oct 25, 2021
UNLV without a doubt - remember cheating was only bad when they did it, for some reason! When Kansas (Larry Brown) and UCLA (booster Ed Warren) did it, nothing to see here!

ILLINOISLION

Oct 12, 2021
Interesting how UCLA has not won a National Championship in 27 years (1995) and only that one in 47 years.

All of Woden’s championships were 4 game tournament wins unlike today’s 6 game tournament victors.

Reactions: NB4PSU

Daveb9127

Nov 29, 2021
Interesting how UCLA has not won a National Championship in 27 years (1995) and only that one in 47 years.

All of Woden’s championships were 4 game tournament wins unlike today’s 6 game tournament victors.
They still would've won them, they were that dominant !

Reactions: Nits74

PrtLng Lion

Oct 14, 2021
UNLV had one of the best teams I've ever seen, but I guess I wouldn't place them within the elite "programs" overall.

I could see UConn making the list over Cuse. Otherwise, hard for me to argue with the OP's list.

ILLINOISLION

Oct 12, 2021
They still would've won them, they were that dominant !

They were dominant, no question, but always playing their first two of their four tournament games only against teams from the Western Region certainly gave them a tremendous advantage.

Bison13

Oct 13, 2021
I know they dont have national championships and have not been good for a while but Temple is 5th all time in wins. ND is 8th and St Johns 9th. Western Kentucky is 16th but has the 8th highest win % of all time. (.660)

Going by win % its:

Kentucky .762
UNC 735
Kansas 729
DUke 711
Ucla 689
cuse 673
AZ 660
W Kent 660
nova 659
murray state 650

ILLINOISLION

Oct 12, 2021
Saw the National Championship Finals in 1971 in the Astrodome.

UCLA beat 27-1 KU by 8 in the semis, Howard Porter and Villanova by 6 in the finals.

UCLA had Wickes, Rowe, Patterson and Bibby that year…..not sure if they had a fifth player or not.

Strange watching the game with seats on the floor, looking up at a raised / elevated playing surface!

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021

UCLA beat 27-1 KU by 8 in the semis, Howard Porter and Villanova by 6 in the finals.

UCLA had Wickes, Rowe, Patterson and Bibby that year…..not sure if they had a fifth player or not.

Strange watching the game with seats on the floor, looking up at a raised / elevated playing surface!
John Valleley was the fifth starter, going by memory.

bbb2021

Nov 14, 2021

Didn't need one

Fox Chapel Lion II

Oct 13, 2021

Wow! What a trip! I've only been to one Final Four - Rupp Arena in 1985. That worked out all right. Been to two Regionals, North Carolina beat Temple at Brendan Byrne Arena and PSU - Temple in Atlanta.

Been to New York countless times for the Big East Tournament.

Postseason basketball is unbelievable. Anybody ever gets a chance to go - don't hesitate.

bbb2021

Nov 14, 2021

Duke
Georgetown
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisville
Michigan State
North Carolina
Syracuse
UCLA
Villanova

Solid list. I kind of put Indiana in the same category as Nebraska football - great a few decades ago, but now?

Reactions: saturdaysarebetter

ILLINOISLION

Oct 12, 2021
Drove four frat brothers from Lawrence to Oklahoma City Wed eve, then to Houston for Thurs evening’s semis.

Fri visited the USS Texas, a battleship that served in both WW1 and WW2. (The battleship just was towed into a dry dock in the last week or two for repairs, it’s been falling apart and leaking!) Then down to Galveston for the beach and beer and all the shrimp you could eat.

Sat afternoon back to the ‘Dome for the consolation game and the final. Everyone except for a few (very few) UCLA fans were pulling for ‘Nova.

Sun was the depressingly long 750+ mile drive back to Lawrence…..in a crowded 1968 Ford Falcon. I don’t recall but I suspect I didn’t go to any classes that Mon.

EPC FAN

Oct 7, 2021

Yeah! How would John have figured out those two extra games? 🙄🙄

Fox Chapel Lion II

Oct 13, 2021
We are a basketball school.
I know you're making a funny, but that year we started off blasting Providence College in the opening round, then against North Carolina it was a tight game in the second half, all of a sudden we hit the gas. Watkins splashed a long three-ball to give us a little daylight and we held on for the win.

My brother has the framed front page from the CDT hanging up in his man cave - Titus Ivory jumping into a teammate's arms with the headline - ROARIN' IN NEW ORLEANS.

Next week he and I went to Atlanta, which was the worst, most unenjoyable sports trip I ever made in my life.

Reactions: BobPSU92

Jason1743

Oct 20, 2021
How quickly people forget that UCONN has 4 NCs in 15 years. No other school on list can say that.
Yes, UCONN had a dominant 15 years. But, UCLA had 10 championships in 12 years including 7 in a row. Difficult to envision any team ever being that dominant again.

OuiRPSU

Oct 6, 2021
I know you're making a funny, but that year we started off blasting Providence College in the opening round, then against North Carolina it was a tight game in the second half, all of a sudden we hit the gas. Watkins splashed a long three-ball to give us a little daylight and we held on for the win.

My brother has the framed front page from the CDT hanging up in his man cave - Titus Ivory jumping into a teammate's arms with the headline - ROARIN' IN NEW ORLEANS.

Next week he and I went to Atlanta, which was the worst, most unenjoyable sports trip I ever made in my life.
My kids were in school in Chapel Hill and I was working at Duke back then, so I grabbed a few copies of the Daily Tar Heel when I dropped them off and posted the front page on my office door. More people commented on it than anything else I ever put up. Ever. What a fun time to be living in the Triangle!

P.S. That’s Julius Peppers walking off dejectedly behind Coach what’s his name.

P.P.S. Check out the quote at the bottom of the page. 😏

3432BD79-10D2-4966-8C3A-82741F4FBBE4.jpeg

Last edited:

IrishHerb

Oct 13, 2021
Considering how hard it is to win a NC in college basketball, the Wooden-Alcindor-Walton run was probably the greatest dynasty in college sports history

I'm a football guy first ... know basketball but haven't played beyond my high school years (and my claim to fame is fouling out in the first quarter ... yes I lasted less than 8 minutes!). But during my college days, I had the opportunity to watch a UCLA practice session ... and boy did I come away impressed. Wooden knew how to put the pressure on the guys even during practices ... no wonder during that run of NCAA championships, his guys played so well "under pressure" ... it was because they went through worse in practice.