OT: The PGA of America and espn are perfect partners...

MtNittany

Oct 12, 2021
...money grubbing whores advertising in-hole gambling on screen non-stop on a golf course that is owned by PGA of America (in other words, if it wasn't, there would be no major held there at all).

Reactions: Ironman2

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
...money grubbing whores advertising in-hole gambling on screen non-stop on a golf course that is owned by PGA of America (in other words, if it wasn't, there would be no major held there at all).
If the Gambling content offends you, I'd encourage you to flip to the regular telecast on ESPN, and not the "ESPN Bet" telecast that you're watching that's focusing on gambling content.

Reactions: MtNittany

MtNittany

Oct 12, 2021
If the Gambling content offends you, I'd encourage you to flip to the regular telecast on ESPN, and not the "ESPN Bet" telecast that you're watching that's focusing on gambling content.
Heh. I'm old. I get confused. I meant to pay for that btw. Still stupid for the PGA to sign off on that.

Reactions: Erial_Lion

MtNittany

Oct 12, 2021
Anyone have any favorites? Any bets (other than will Tiger hit this green in regulation)?

Auxgym

Oct 13, 2021
The PGA of America owned Valhalla when it awarded the event. PGA of America sold Valhalla in 2022.

MtNittany

Oct 12, 2021
The PGA of America owned Valhalla when it awarded the event. PGA of America sold Valhalla in 2022.
Yep - already a PGA scheduled in Texas though. Rinse, repeat.

It goes back to 1971 (moved to Feb) at the original PGA National, then JDM CC, now Ballen Isles. Then the Ryder Cup in 1983 and the PGA again in 1987 at the now PGA National (A Fazio course, before Jack's redesign) Sheraton Resort.

JDM was where the snowbird PGA Pros would come down to play. When the resort was built, the developer built the PGA headquarters for them (to lease) and the club took care of their members while the place was being developed.

Last edited:

MtNittany

Oct 12, 2021
Just like in college football - and every other sport imaginable in today's world - you're promoting a practice (in game betting) that imo is going to lead to very bad outcomes - and not just a bunch of broke idiots (that's a given).

But the integrity of the sports themselves. There's the problem with easy gambling imo.

Reactions: Mr. Potter

Auxgym

Oct 13, 2021
Just like in college football - and every other sport imaginable in today's world - you're promoting a practice (in game betting) that imo is going to lead to very bad outcomes - and not just a bunch of broke idiots (that's a given).

But the integrity of the sports themselves. There's the problem with easy gambling imo.
Is there a separate thread on speculation of the new Rory squeeze? Asking for Bob......

MtNittany

Oct 12, 2021
Is there a separate thread on speculation of the new Rory squeeze? Asking for Bob......
Rory lives in Ernie's old house. Why Ernie would sell it is beyond me, but Rory lives a charmed life for that alone - the place is that cool. And he's really good at hitting drivers.

LBUfanatic

Nov 1, 2021
Yep - already a PGA scheduled in Texas though. Rinse, repeat.

It goes back to 1971 (moved to Feb) at the original PGA National, then JDM CC, now Ballen Isles. Then the Ryder Cup in 1983 and the PGA again in 1987 at the now PGA National (A Fazio course, before Jack's redesign) Sheraton Resort.

JDM was where the snowbird PGA Pros would come down to play. When the resort was built, the developer built the PGA headquarters for them (to lease) and the club took care of their members while the place was being developed.
So, the PGA of America, which is the presenter of the PGA Championship, decides to host its premier tournament at a course which it owns? Oh the travesty. Why do you have an issue with them playing at Valhalla?

MtNittany

Oct 12, 2021
So, the PGA of America, which is the presenter of the PGA Championship, decides to host its premier tournament at a course which it owns? Oh the travesty. Why do you have an issue with them playing at Valhalla?
Because I think there are better golf courses that should be in the rotation - especially considering the move to May.

Ironically, I consider PGA National one of them. But that bridge is burned to the ground.

LBUfanatic

Nov 1, 2021
Because I think there are better golf courses that should be in the rotation - especially considering the move to May.

Ironically, I consider PGA National one of them. But that bridge is burned to the ground.
I don’t disagree about the possibility of better courses being available to host a major, but I also don’t blame the PGA of America for doing what’s in their best financial interest. The PGA Championship has always been the red headed stepchild of the four majors and I’m not sure a “premier” course changes viewership much and probably comes with greater built-in costs. Not to mention that the USGA has effectively taken oakmont, pebble, pinehurst, winged foot and others out of play due to exclusive agreements as part of a US Open rota.