OT: "This note is legal tender for all debts, public, and private"

MtNittany

Oct 12, 2021
Is it really?

I tried to pay my HOA dues in cash the other day - in their office - in hopes of walking out with a receipt. Nope. Can't accept cash. Go to Publix and get a money order.

The last people I want to pick a fight with is this HOA management company, but they're sort of asking for it imo. What if I don't want to go to Publix and get a money order? What if I don't want to use your website to pay it along with your small fee? What if I haven't written a check in 5 years?

Are the words on our currency true or not?

NittPicker

Oct 7, 2021
Is it really?

I tried to pay my HOA dues in cash the other day - in their office - in hopes of walking out with a receipt. Nope. Can't accept cash. Go to Publix and get a money order.

The last people I want to pick a fight with is this HOA management company, but they're sort of asking for it imo. What if I don't want to go to Publix and get a money order? What if I don't want to use your website to pay it along with your small fee? What if I haven't written a check in 5 years?

Apparently the phrase means it CAN be used for all debts but the recipient isn't REQUIRED to accept it.

FED LINK

Reactions: Bison13

MtNittany

Oct 12, 2021
Apparently the phrase means it CAN be used for all debts but the recipient isn't REQUIRED to accept it.

FED LINK
That's great FED. The phrase on the 50 dollar bill still seems pretty clear regardless of your statute - at least to me though.

I guess the words CAN and NOT REQUIRED don't look as cool and stately on the bills as the "old" words do.

Last edited:

s1uggo72

Oct 12, 2021
I often wonder what would happen if u went to a store and tried to pay w the $50 with those words on it. If they say we don’t take anything larger then a $20, walk out. If they call the cops, just show the bill and say I offered to pay but…. I wonder what would happen

Bison13

Oct 13, 2021
Is it really?

Man that’s got to be frustrating. I moved to a place a mile and a half down the road just to get out of an HOA. Too many Karen’s think they have power in HOA for me.

s1uggo72

Oct 12, 2021
Is it really?

why not set up an ACH from your bank to them? There should not be any fees involved. Saves you a trip to Publix.

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
Is it really?

Could it be that they don't want to risk having someone on their end steal the cash you provided for payment?

I still write checks - I like the look of my signature....

s1uggo72

Oct 12, 2021
I don't want the cash to go through my bank. It's none of their business. My employer declares some of my tips. The rest is between me and the irs.
ok but if you are living in a place with HOA fees, and dont have much income , you are probably already on their radar , in that, how does this guy afford this place on his income? but whatever

MtNittany

Oct 12, 2021
ok but if you are living in a place with HOA fees, and dont have much income , you are probably already on their radar , in that, how does this guy afford this place on his income? but whatever
Who said I don't have much income? I've owned this place outright for years. I've lived here for over 30 years. A block from the beach. These HOA management people work for me. Not the other way around.

WTF are you talking about? Radar?

I had a guy that insisted on FedExing me $25K cash one time for a down payment on a turf job. Because people want to use cash doesn't mean they're poor. It might mean they're criminals, but not me.

I'll add that anyone that doesn't ask for a "cash price" for tree trimming, home repair, etc. is paying much, much more.

STPGopherfan

Oct 31, 2021
Is it really?

Did I ever tell you how much I hate HOAs? With that said. It's probably for your own good. They are notorious for losing payments, etc., then sending nasty letters demanding payment.

smiller229

Oct 12, 2021
You have lived there for 30 years but just now wanted to pay with cash? You don't have a check book? I don't mean to question but something isn't making any sense here. I hate HOA's as well but your story doesn't seem correct.

MtNittany

Oct 12, 2021
You have lived there for 30 years but just now wanted to pay with cash? You don't have a check book? I don't mean to question but something isn't making any sense here. I hate HOA's as well but your story doesn't seem correct.
It's a new management company (last 5 years). I've always paid online with them (and paid the fee). I don't know what's so hard to understand. I had cash on hand to pay a bill, and they wouldn't take it. That's my beef.

Reactions: G3624

smiller229

Oct 12, 2021
Understood. Again, didn't mean to question but it just felt questionable. I apologize. And paying 30 years in fees, that has got to hurt. HOA's suck!

Reactions: MtNittany

MtNittany

Oct 12, 2021
Understood. Again, didn't mean to question but it just felt questionable. I apologize. And paying 30 years in fees, that has got to hurt. HOA's suck!
They do, but they're necessary to a degree. Most of the $$ now goes to landscaping. The fees have tripled in 30 years, and I have no problem with that. One thing I don't like is that the reserve funds are pretty much gone. I guess that's a thing of the past.

Bwifan

Oct 12, 2021
They do, but they're necessary to a degree. Most of the $$ now goes to landscaping. The fees have tripled in 30 years, and I have no problem with that. One thing I don't like is that the reserve funds are pretty much gone. I guess that's a thing of the past.
My HOA here in Delray Beach suddenly decided they wanted to fill the coffers of reserve funds. Jacked our fee's way up to pay into the reserve fund. They say when it reaches X amount they will take off the surcharge. We will see if that holds, to me it's like taxes they never go back down...

s1uggo72

Oct 12, 2021
Who said I don't have much income? I've owned this place outright for years. I've lived here for over 30 years. A block from the beach. These HOA management people work for me. Not the other way around.

WTF are you talking about? Radar?

I had a guy that insisted on FedExing me $25K cash one time for a down payment on a turf job. Because people want to use cash doesn't mean they're poor. It might mean they're criminals, but not me.

I'll add that anyone that doesn't ask for a "cash price" for tree trimming, home repair, etc. is paying much, much more.
forgive me, I should have said 'show much income' . BTW did you file a form 8300 with the IRS for the cash downpayment? if not, you are guilty of money laundering

MtNittany

Oct 12, 2021
My HOA here in Delray Beach suddenly decided they wanted to fill the coffers of reserve funds. Jacked our fee's way up to pay into the reserve fund. They say when it reaches X amount they will take off the surcharge. We will see if that holds, to me it's like taxes they never go back down...
There was an interesting local PBPost/local news story from 1985 on the development of this land and how people - both snowbirds and locals - that had pre-bought were already angling for HOA positions and establishing rules/regs/etc. It was fascinating. I'll try to find it. I want to say it was WPEC. Not sure though.

Reactions: Bwifan

PSU_Lions_84

Jul 2, 2022
Could it be that they don't want to risk having someone on their end steal the cash you provided for payment?

I still write checks - I like the look of my signature....

psuro, please send me one of your signed checks so I too can admire your signature.

Leave the amount blank - I like writing numbers, so can fill in those spaces.

TIA!

Reactions: Fac and Bison13

MtNittany

Oct 12, 2021
forgive me, I should have said 'show much income' . BTW did you file a form 8300 with the IRS for the cash downpayment? if not, you are guilty of money laundering
I worked for a corporation at that time. The money was deposited that day by the office manager - she didn't pull a Janet Leigh. All I did was design and sell the project. Who am I to tell the customer how to pay for it?

Last edited:

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
psuro, please send me one of your signed checks so I too can admire your signature.

Leave the amount blank - I like writing numbers, so can fill in those spaces.

TIA!
You Got It Bob GIF by CBS

s1uggo72

Oct 12, 2021
I worked for a corporation at that time. The money was deposited that day by the office manager. All I did was design and sell the project.
did they file an 8300? if not you all are guilty of money laundering.

PSU87

Oct 12, 2021
Way back in 1984, as a second semester freshman, my Econ 101 professor told us "when you see a sign at a store that says 'no 50s or 100s' you can tell them they are violating Federal law.

Probably not true anymore.....

Wait until the gubmint forces digital currency on us.....

MtNittany

Oct 12, 2021
did they file an 8300? if not you all are guilty of money laundering.
Huh? That company employed 2 attorneys and 2 accountants. We were the world wide leader in our field at that time w/ over 80 dealers worldwide (a lot of which I trained). We did tens of millions retail a year back then. What makes you think they didn't file a form, and why do you even gaf?

s1uggo72

Oct 12, 2021
Huh? That company employed 2 attorneys and 2 accountants. We were the world wide leader in our field at that time w/ over 80 dealers worldwide (a lot of which I trained). We did tens of millions retail a year back then. What makes you think they didn't file a form, and why do you even gaf?
I dont care, but maybe you should. Nest time you receive this large amount of cash, and to protect yourself, you might want to ask someone at the firm, did you file an 8300? and if the answer is Huh? you might need get out of jail card. You know in cases like this they (FBI) etc always start at the bottom and work up. Currently I work at a place that does not accept cash, but my previous place did. The owner told me , that we take cash, but an 8300 form needed to filed and if the customer didnt want to disclosure that information, tell them to go elsewhere. You answers lead me to believe despite having 2 attorneys and 2 accountants they dont do this for whatever reason. Pretty sure you need the cash payers SS#. but just trying to keep you out of trouble

MtNittany

Oct 12, 2021
I dont care, but maybe you should. Nest time you receive this large amount of cash, and to protect yourself, you might want to ask someone at the firm, did you file an 8300? and if the answer is Huh? you might need get out of jail card. You know in cases like this they (FBI) etc always start at the bottom and work up. Currently I work at a place that does not accept cash, but my previous place did. The owner told me , that we take cash, but an 8300 form needed to filed and if the customer didnt want to disclosure that information, tell them to go elsewhere. You answers lead me to believe despite having 2 attorneys and 2 accountants they dont do this for whatever reason. Pretty sure you need the cash payers SS#. but just trying to keep you out of trouble
I appreciate that Sluggo, but this was almost 20 years ago. I was just using it as an example of how you accept payment in any form the customer wants to give it to you. Sheesh.

Last edited:
Reactions: s1uggo72

nittanyfan333

Oct 6, 2021

You must not have had the pleasure of knowing @s1uggo72 , the board curmudgeon and needler. Just ignore him and he’ll go away. Otherwise you’ll be arguing with someone who’s never admitted that they’re wrong and it’ll take hours off of your life.

Bwifan

Oct 12, 2021
There was an interesting local PBPost/local news story from 1985 on the development of this land and how people - both snowbirds and locals - that had pre-bought were already angling for HOA positions and establishing rules/regs/etc. It was fascinating. I'll try to find it. I want to say it was WPEC. Not sure though.
If you find it let me know be a interesting read. Hit Silverball Museum last weekend. I still got it with Asteroids.

MtNittany

Oct 12, 2021
If you find it let me know be a interesting read. Hit Silverball Museum last weekend. I still got it with Asteroids.
I want a Charlie's Angel's electromagnetic pinball so bad. I'd trade both my other Gottliebs for one.

Screenshot 2024-04-05 at 16-33-05 Knapp Arcade on Instagram A rare electromechanical version o...png

What're the food prices like down there now? Used to sell lobster rolls for what they're probably selling Coney's for now.

TheBigUglies

Oct 26, 2021
Is it really?

Sounds like my 83 yo father in law when he tried to buy beer at Lincoln Financial Field at an Eagles game. Cash don't work there either!! 😂 😂 😂

Karl_Havok

Oct 6, 2021
I often wonder what would happen if u went to a store and tried to pay w the $50 with those words on it. If they say we don’t take anything larger then a $20, walk out. If they call the cops, just show the bill and say I offered to pay but…. I wonder what would happen

LOL. Do you really wonder what would happen?

Nitt1300

Oct 12, 2021
You must not have had the pleasure of knowing @s1uggo72 , the board curmudgeon and needler. Just ignore him and he’ll go away. Otherwise you’ll be arguing with someone who’s never admitted that they’re wrong and it’ll take hours off of your life.
This describes half of the board- at least.

s1uggo72

Oct 12, 2021
Now that’s not fair unless of course you don’t consider sea and pepper seasonings

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: PSU87 and LionJim