OT - which one of you meanies in Cleveland

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
You have to work really hard to dodge common sense the way these men did. If you are that insistent on not letting her play, maybe let her know in April when a “Lauren” signed up via hand-delivery. Or certainly well in advance when they have told you they are trying to make their plan. Then say “but we would love to treat you to a round at our course”. But old men gonna old men.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
The tournament is 37 years old. Article says husband played in it for four years. He knew it was a men's tournament.
You would think most would have figured that out after playing it in a few years. I’m not going to assume that was the case here. Could certainly be…

AlCoDog

Feb 27, 2008
Agree with what’s already been stated about a big issue just being they waited 3 months to let them know at the last minute.

Is the subject tournament in fact the 6-man? If so, what about the other 4 team members? Were dad and daughter placed on a team and the other 4 players who saw what was going on said hell no? That sounds like what may have happened in my experience.

Lumpy1055

Oct 17, 2012
This whole thing has really made in known that a lot of people don’t know much about golf. It was the club 4-ball, those are always men’s tournaments. The dad worked there previously and played in this tournament for two decades, he knew how it was. The club did not handle it correctly at all in their response and there are better ways it could have been handled. Most places the professional staff sets the men’s tournament calendar and the ladies tournament calendar. We have reached a point where we need gender specific sign up sheets now otherwise someone will get their feelings hurt and want their 5 minutes of fame.

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
If I was on that board and argued in person for hours and over text all morning over this, that would be my last day on that board. What a waste of mental energy. Either let her play or just say it was a men’s tournament sorry for the confusion. It’s not that hard.

FreeDawg

Oct 6, 2010
It sounds like part of the issue was stringing them along messing up the plans. Had they been decisive & explained this perhaps could have been avoided too. It’s like they were to scared to tell them a decision.

Reactions: Dawgg

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
This whole thing has really made in known that a lot of people don’t know much about golf. It was the club 4-ball, those are always men’s tournaments.
Well I will admit that I did not know a 4ball tournament is only for men.

Somebody needs to notify the USGA quick, since the 17ing USGA hosts a Women's Am 4-ball Championship.
A club I worked at in college, 20 years ago, had a women's 4ball tournament. They had women's best shot(scramble) tournaments and women's individual match play tournaments too. Ill be sure to text a guy I know who is a member there and let him know they are doing golf wrong.

goindhoo

Feb 29, 2008

Somebody needs to notify the USGA quick, since the 17ing USGA hosts a Women's Am 4-ball Championship.
A club I worked at in college, 20 years ago, had a women's 4ball tournament. They had women's best shot(scramble) tournaments and women's individual match play tournaments too. Ill be sure to text a guy I know who is a member there and let him know they are doing golf wrong.
How many local club 4-ball tournaments do you know of that women play in?

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
How many local club 4-ball tournaments do you know of that women play in?
0. Because I dont know what tournaments the local private clubs offer from year to year.
The answer would be the same for men's 4-ball tournaments and for the same reason.

Lumpy1055

Oct 17, 2012

Yeah they say womens 4-ball, womens club championship. A club I worked at after college didn’t have to differentiate the member/guest, club championship, 4-ball, match play as men only. It was apparent. The women also had a ladies club championship, a ladies 4-ball, a ladies match play. Cleveland CC didn’t handled it correctly but it’s not hard to figure out, especially when the dad has played in the tournament for 20+ years.

Lumpy1055

Oct 17, 2012
0. Because I dont know what tournaments the local private clubs offer from year to year.
The answer would be the same for men's 4-ball tournaments and for the same reason.
Tournaments for the ladies are always labeled that. Does the PGA tour need to start being called the Men’s PGA? No it’s understood, just like what the LPGA is

Reactions: goindhoo

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
My wife asked me last night if this had been discussed on sixpack.
More details: The only reason this wasn’t cleared up when Lauren submitted the application is because the club thought she was applying to make sandwiches at the turn or drive the drink cart in a very short skirt. Once that innocent but mistaken assumption was clarified, the club respectfully told her “sorry, ma’am. This is for men to have a good time, we don’t need your buzz cut bringing down the mood. Take care, dear.” The club remained very polite throughout the whole political stunt.

the mother’s reaction proves the socially militant vibe runs deep in this in this family, and the club made the correct decision to deny their Subaru entry to the property.

When all was said and done, good times were had by all this past weekend, and I can report the sandwiches and drink carts were more than acceptable.
So, wait, you discuss what is said on sixpack with your wife? How is everyone glossing over this statement.? Am I the only one that treats SPS like Fight Club?***

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Yeah they say womens 4-ball, womens club championship. A club I worked at after college didn’t have to differentiate the member/guest, club championship, 4-ball, match play as men only. It was apparent. The women also had a ladies club championship, a ladies 4-ball, a ladies match play. Cleveland CC didn’t handled it correctly but it’s not hard to figure out, especially when the dad has played in the tournament for 20+ years.
Oh, you weren't claiming women don't play 4ball tournaments, you were saying a tournament that doesn't specifically say 'womens' is by default a men's tournament.

Gotcha.

I read your post as claiming women don't play 4ball tournaments.

Reactions: Lumpy1055

Mts68

Aug 22, 2012
Agree with what’s already been stated about a big issue just being they waited 3 months to let them know at the last minute.

Is the subject tournament in fact the 6-man? If so, what about the other 4 team members? Were dad and daughter placed on a team and the other 4 players who saw what was going on said hell no? That sounds like what may have happened in my experience.
No, the subject tournament is the four ball. I’m not sure the 6 man has any rules, but it’s a mighty fine time.

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018
Hell, sixpack gives me a reason to talk to my wife.*

“Hey, listen to what they’re arguing about on sixpack.”

dickiedawg

Feb 22, 2008
Tournaments for the ladies are always labeled that. Does the PGA tour need to start being called the Men’s PGA? No it’s understood, just like what the LPGA is
Except women are allowed to compete in the PGA.
They would be allowed in the NBA, MLB and NFL, but that’s not really come up.