Ouch! Drew turns down UK to remain at Baylor

Harvard Gamecock

Jan 20, 2022

ToddFlanders

Jan 20, 2022
Let's hope this goes down in the long line of former players that only got their great jobs because they were alums. I'm thinking Mike Shula at Bama, Matt Doherty at unc, Kenny Payne at Louisville and any others where they'd have no shot at the job if they didn't play there.

Last edited:

FootballLVR

Sep 25, 2023
Reactions: 18IsTheMan

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Let's hope this goes down in the long line of former players that only got their great jobs because they were alums. I'm thinking Mike Shula at Bama, Matt Doherty at unc, Kenny Payne at Louisville and any others where they'd have no shot at the job if they didn't play there.
We can hope. UK surely didn't hire him because he's the one they wanted. They couldn't get anyone they wanted (which is remarkable) so they went the "one of us" route.

It would be great for UK to experience a bit of a down period.

Gradstudent

Joined Feb 11, 2006
Feb 2, 2022
I said choose of their own accord.

Pitino was fired in Boston.
Calipari was fired in NJ.
Hoiberg was fired in Chicago.
Hamilton "resigned" after one season in Washington going 19-63.

There may be some examples, but I don't know of anyone off the top of my head who left an NBA job without being fired/forced out in order to take a college job. Donovan has not done well in Chicago, so he may be fired if they don't make earn a play-in spot next week.

Larry Brown is an example, he left the Nets in the early 1980's to go coach Kansas, and was not fired or on the way out of the Nets, but he had a running clock and only staying on 1 place so long, :), he was an outlier for sure in his career approach, LOL

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Larry Brown is an example, he left the Nets in the early 1980's to go coach Kansas, and was not fired or on the way out of the Nets, but he had a running clock and only staying on 1 place so long, :), he was an outlier for sure in his career approach, LOL
That is true. He never stayed anywhere long.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Pope has a big task in front him. Cal is expected to take most of his assistants to Arkansas. UK has also 3 of it's top recruits and are likely to lose at least one more.

How funny would it be to see Arkansas in the NCAAT next year but not UK?

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I heard it put an interesting way: If UK had hired Pearl, would Pope have been acceptable replacement for him at Auburn?

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Probably not. I don't think he'd even be written about by sportswriters as a potential candidate.

Yep. The implication being that he would not have been garnered peripheral interest from Auburn. But he was hired at UK. Telling.

ToddFlanders

Jan 20, 2022
Yep. The implication being that he would not have been garnered peripheral interest from Auburn. But he was hired at UK. Telling.

Actually, thinking about it now, I do think that his name would have been brought up by the media, but still don't think he'd be a serious candidate on the Auburn campus. These media list just throw anyone out there that has even a little connection to a school. The fact that he's at a Power 4 conference and played at Kentucky (SEC ties) would have at least made him a "media candidate" - but one of those that is "also considered."

Latest posts